5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 1500 - Engine Surging when Braking

paul30415

Reaction score
As noted in my signature below, I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with less than 4k miles on it. I took delivery on the truck early October. Three times since then (once at 500 miles and twice around 3500 miles), when I have hit the brakes to stop at an intersection, the engine has surged, fighting my attempt to bring the truck to a stop. The last two times this happened I had a passenger in the truck who agreed that the issue was an engine surge and not a problem with the brakes. I am confident that I was not pressing down on the brake and gas pedals at the same time.

I brought the truck to my selling dealer and they were unable to pull any codes from the truck nor find any TSBs or other guidance from Ram on the issue. So, I contacted Ram Cares on this forum and they helped me to open a case. The truck went back to the dealer, who worked with Ram Customer Care and still nothing was found. This morning I drove the truck around with a service tech but we were unable to duplicate the issue. The dealer said he had no choice but to return the truck to me.

My first question is whether anyone has experienced, or heard of, this issue on the 5th Gen RAM 1500? If so, was the culprit identified?

Second, I would welcome suggestions on how to proceed from here. Is my only option at this point to return the truck under the GA lemon law?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As noted in my signature below, I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Limited with less than 4k miles on it. I took delivery on the truck early October. Three times since then (once at 500 miles and twice around 3500 miles), when I have hit the brakes to stop at an intersection, the engine has surged, fighting my attempt to bring the truck to a stop. The last two times this happened I had a passenger in the truck who agreed that the issue was an engine surge and not a problem with the brakes. I am confident that I was not pressing down on the brake and gas pedals at the same time.

I brought the truck to my selling dealer and they were unable to pull any codes from the truck nor find any TSBs or other guidance from Ram on the issue. So, I contacted Ram Cares on this forum and they helped me to open a case. The truck went back to the dealer, who worked with Ram Customer Care and still nothing was found. This morning I drove the truck around with a service tech but we were unable to duplicate the issue. The dealer said he had no choice but to return the truck to me.

My first question is whether anyone has experienced, or heard of, this issue on the 5th Gen RAM 1500? If so, was the culprit identified?

Second, I would welcome suggestions on how to proceed from here. Is my only option at this point to return the truck under the GA lemon law?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Sorry to hear about your issue , I haven’t had that happen to me at all .

Shawn_m

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Paul
I just bought mine, 2021 1500 Laramie with Etorque and the 3.92 axle. It’s impossible to come to a stop smoothly. I have to constantly modulate the brake pedal as the engine/trans downshifts through the gears. It’s annoying as hell because if feels like you’re stabbing the brakes and letting off then stabbing again.

19 North

Reaction score
Sounds like a a vacuum leak. I would suggest they hook up a vacuum gauge and test drive it.

Gitter

Reaction score
I just bought mine, 2021 1500 Laramie with Etorque and the 3.92 axle. It’s impossible to come to a stop smoothly. I have to constantly modulate the brake pedal as the engine/trans downshifts through the gears. It’s annoying as hell because if feels like you’re stabbing the brakes and letting off then stabbing again.
It could also be an issue with your regenerative braking system (since you have eTorque). I can feel when that system is kicking in while I'm braking, but it's certainly not anywhere intrusive like you are describing.

Bsjoiner

Reaction score
This happened to me last week. I was wearing these big clunky work boots that I don’t normally wear and I just assumed I had accidently hit the gas AND brake when stopping. I nearly rear ended a stopped car at a red light. I have a 2020 Limited with eTorque and 11K miles. Never happened before or since. Scary as hell though!

Detroit

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Paul
I have had the same issue (non e-torque) I took my truck in for recalls and told them what was going on and they said they couldn’t replicate it or ever heard of the issue. (Discussion note #1) A week later my transmission went out completely at 28k miles. It paused in shifting from first to second and when it shifted it slammed into second.

They gave me a new transmission which took almost 2 months to install as they were short handed. (Discussion note #2) When I got the truck back it just seems off and the surging issue still occurs.

I’m concerned being without my truck again if my trans goes again, also concerned that this may cause an unnecessary accident. Have you had any update or are you just dealing with it??

paul30415

Reaction score
I have had the same issue (non e-torque) I took my truck in for recalls and told them what was going on and they said they couldn’t replicate it or ever heard of the issue. (Discussion note #1) A week later my transmission went out completely at 28k miles. It paused in shifting from first to second and when it shifted it slammed into second.

They gave me a new transmission which took almost 2 months to install as they were short handed. (Discussion note #2) When I got the truck back it just seems off and the surging issue still occurs.

I’m concerned being without my truck again if my trans goes again, also concerned that this may cause an unnecessary accident. Have you had any update or are you just dealing with it??
That truck did have e-torque. The dealer could never duplicate the issue, and when RAM examined the "black box" they claimed they saw nothing unusual. I was also concerned about safety. Fortunately my local dealer was very good to me and he allowed me to trade in that truck for another one without e-torque. I did not take too much of a financial hit. I have not experienced the same issue with the new truck.

Good luck with your issue!

Paul

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are they still using vacuum brake boosters? An erratic dump valve might occasionally stick open, letting air rush into the intake manifold.

hbake

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Paul
This exact same thing is happening to my truck which is a 2022 Ram limited 1500 no e-torque. It has happened at least four times in the 6000 miles I have owned the truck and I bought it brand new. The first time it happened was very early with probably under 500 miles and then it's happened at least three more times very random but it's always when I'm coming to a stop with the brake on and just before you come to a stop it like kicks you in the butt and pushes the truck forward with an acceleration. Very strange but very noticeable. I have not taken it to the dealer because I know for sure it would be pure luck if they could recreate it. And even if they could they probably would have no idea how to fix it. I hope somebody figures it out.

Last edited:

RH22

Reaction score
This exact same thing is happening to my truck which is a 2022 Ram limited 1500 no e-torque. It has happened at least four times in the 6000 miles I have owned the truck and I bought it brand new. The first time it happened was very early with probably under 500 miles and then it's happened at least three more times very random but it's always when I'm coming to a stop with the brake on and just before you come to a stop it like kicks you in the butt and pushes the truck forward with an acceleration. Very strange but very noticeable. I have not taken it to the dealer because I know for sure it would be pure luck if they could recreate it. And even if they could they probably would have no idea how to fix it. I hope somebody figures it out.
Hi, I posted my sudden acceleration earlier. I was in a drive-thru fast food, the motor just started revving as I lifted off the brake pedal. I put all my weight on the brake pedal to stop the truck,
doing a drive wheel burnout, finally just dialed it into neutral. Scary. I have a Limited 1500, e-torque, 5.7L, with less than 500 miles. I took it to the dealer, they ran a diagnostic and said no codes appeared. They said no software updates needed on my etorque either. I responded on forum to a guy from Boston (hardnipples screen name), who crashed his truck into a parked car after sudden acceleration.

chewmeista

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!

Paul
I think I remember seeing a tsb about this issue somewhere.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Hi, I posted my sudden acceleration earlier. I was in a drive-thru fast food, the motor just started revving as I lifted off the brake pedal. I put all my weight on the brake pedal to stop the truck,
doing a drive wheel burnout, finally just dialed it into neutral. Scary. I have a Limited 1500, e-torque, 5.7L, with less than 500 miles. I took it to the dealer, they ran a diagnostic and said no codes appeared. They said no software updates needed on my etorque either. I responded on forum to a guy from Boston (hardnipples screen name), who crashed his truck into a parked car after sudden acceleration.
Please let us know what you find out about this.

RH22

Reaction score
Please let us know what you find out about this.
Sorry, I should check in more often. No acceleration issues thus far. Ive gotten into the habit to shut off etorque when I know I will be doing city driving. I know, defeats the purpose. I drove it to Lake Havasu, ran good, about 4-5 hrs from my house, averaged 17 mpg.

RH22

Reaction score
I think I remember seeing a tsb about this issue somewhere.
I had one issue on my 2023 Ram 1500 Limited, less than 500 miles. I was in a fast food drive-thru with foot on brake. No other cars around, thank God. I lift off the brake to creep forward and the truck starts accelerating, pushed hard enough on the brake to do a burnout in the drive thru. Finally got my wits and put it in neutral and shut it off. Let it sit less than a minute, started up fine and idled forward to get my food. Parked it while I ate, and decided to drive it home, with one hand on the knob shifter. The Dealership ran a diagnostic, no codes. They did not road test the truck. No other issues since then, now over 1000 miles. I decided to shut off etorque if Im doing city driving. The more I thought about, simultaneous pressing of brake and gas is not likely due to the pedal height difference.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I had one issue on my 2023 Ram 1500 Limited, less than 500 miles. I was in a fast food drive-thru with foot on brake. No other cars around, thank God. I lift off the brake to creep forward and the truck starts accelerating, pushed hard enough on the brake to do a burnout in the drive thru. Finally got my wits and put it in neutral and shut it off. Let it sit less than a minute, started up fine and idled forward to get my food. Parked it while I ate, and decided to drive it home, with one hand on the knob shifter. The Dealership ran a diagnostic, no codes. They did not road test the truck. No other issues since then, now over 1000 miles. I decided to shut off etorque if Im doing city driving. The more I thought about, simultaneous pressing of brake and gas is not likely due to the pedal height difference.
I was just wondering about that. So the new trucks
DO still have that huge disparity between pedal heights ?

Reaction score
thanks for all the posts on this issue, I have a 2021 rebel no e-torque and in the last two weeks this has happened twice, last time was this morning. As someone posted very scary. Did the same, put all my weight on the brake and threw it in neutral. Just had the truck serviced last week at 30K and nothing was found. Sounds like no one has an answer yet.

Users who are viewing this thread