5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Out of warranty 3rd brake light fix..... HELP

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
I tried the silicone trick. Still leaking like crazy. Any ideas on what to try next? Butyl gasket? Or something else?

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
whats the problem? its leaking? if you silicone it and it still leak are you sure the leak is from there and not the back window or antenna

Last edited:

rws1944

Reaction score
I tried the silicone trick. Still leaking like crazy. Any ideas on what to try next? Butyl gasket? Or something else?
Lots of discussion about this on this site. Your problem might be with the antenna. Do a search on this forum, lots of fixes with product names to solve the problem.

Wild Bill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would use caution with silicone products. Not much if anything will 'stick' on top of it. When you get ready to use another sealant be absolutely sure to remove any silicone.

I use a product called Lexel on my RV. It is clear & will not 'run' on a vertical surface. It works very well. Water intrusion in our trucks & in an RV will do extensive damage.

I do not have an answer to your particular water problem. I'm just trying to give you insight to help fix the problem.

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
So heres what I found, I pulled the 3rd brake light off again. \Cleaned all the silicone off. Started to remove the oem gasketand there was about a 2" section that wasnt stuck to the lamp at all. So i removed all of the gasket and went the butyl tape route. After 2 days of heavy rain I still have a dry headliner!

Sweet potato

Reaction score
So heres what I found, I pulled the 3rd brake light off again. \Cleaned all the silicone off. Started to remove the oem gasketand there was about a 2" section that wasnt stuck to the lamp at all. So i removed all of the gasket and went the butyl tape route. After 2 days of heavy rain I still have a dry headliner!

What is the benefit of going butyl tape vs. the marine weatherstrip others have used?

I tried Permatex gasket rtv around third brake light but still have the leak. I’m hoping to try butyl or marine weatherstrip next 🤞

dtcochran

Reaction score
My 2021 Dodge Laramie had leaking that was not even noticeable. Fast forward to now and it's 13-17k in mold and mildew remediation. They have to replace the entire inside of the truck. Chrysler cares could have cared less and the Chrysler Dodge Dealer said they can't do anything unless Chrysler Cares tells them to. Even has extended bumper to bumper warranty. Even if your third brake light and rear glass is not apparently leaking visually, I highly recommend changing out any off the assembly line gaskets immediately. It has been a damn nightmare and no relief.

Ninja Rooster

Reaction score
My 2021 Dodge Laramie had leaking that was not even noticeable. Fast forward to now and it's 13-17k in mold and mildew remediation. They have to replace the entire inside of the truck. Chrysler cares could have cared less and the Chrysler Dodge Dealer said they can't do anything unless Chrysler Cares tells them to. Even has extended bumper to bumper warranty. Even if your third brake light and rear glass is not apparently leaking visually, I highly recommend changing out any off the assembly line gaskets immediately. It has been a damn nightmare and no relief.

It's all a load of ********. "Every manufacturer has the issue" is not good enough for me. I get it but its not an excuse. They're pushing these $70-$100k pieces of tuna can crap out the door given zero ****s about the consumer. Ramcares about I'm dealing with water leaks too. I just got off my phone with local dealer because I wanted to try a new 3rd brake light gasket for my 2019 Laramie..........guess what? I have to buy the entire light assembly....$1000 since I have the camera in order to get the updated seal. LOL. Ram Cares my ***.

I already tried the marine seal route. I am going Butyl tape now. But that's not going to solve where the water is coming from in the front or sunroof. Wonder which low quality Chinese **** part that's coming from. Could be a design issues too. But, of course that's just not something they'll cover. After all; engineers. Still 3 weeks before the dealer can see the truck. Called another dealer about an hour away. They're backed up too.

Users who are viewing this thread