5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 GMC HUMMER ELECTRIC PICKUP...ANOTHER OPTION TO THE TRX & RAPTOR

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The introduction of these trucks will be a phased approach and the costs will vary widely from introduction through 2024. However, it will be another option to the TRX and Raptor for those willing to wait.

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Already a thread going on that. It really is cool as hell though

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, what do you do if you run out of power in the bush? Can't send someone to town for gas. I guess you just plug into a current bush?

Maconi

Reaction score
So, what do you do if you run out of power in the bush? Can't send someone to town for gas. I guess you just plug into a current bush?
Buy a generator and keep it in the back I suppose lol.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The wave of the future guys...don't fight it. There are several electric pickups coming out in 2021 and many more to come beyond. 350 miles of range is pretty darn solid. I think your comments @Trooper4 and @Maconi are a bit misguided. Every year, more and more charging stations are appearing and, in the next 3 years, they'll be as common as a gas station. I am seriously interested in a few trucks as I look to my next purchase in the Spring of 2022. Will I pay over $100K for a Hummer:unsure: Nope! Would I struggle to decide between a few solid electrics and a TRX/RAPTOR all priced around $75-$90K? I would :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The wave of the future guys...don't fight it. There are several electric pickups coming out in 2021 and many more to come beyond. 350 miles of range is pretty darn solid. I think your comments @Trooper4 and @Maconi are a bit misguided. Every year, more and more charging stations are appearing and, in the next 3 years, they'll be as common as a gas station. I am seriously interested in a few trucks as I look to my next purchase in the Spring of 2022. Will I pay over $100K for a Hummer:unsure: Nope! Would I struggle to decide between a few solid electrics and a TRX/RAPTOR all priced around $75-$90K? I would :)
Their comments are very valid. There are no gas stations in the bush, so there will be no charging stations there either. With gas or diesel engines, you can bring extra fuel with you in jerry cans. There really is no equivalent to that for an all electric truck. A generator is the next closest thing, so that would be my solution. The problem is the amount of time it would take to charge the truck enough to make it to a charging station. Also, there might still be a need to carry jerry cans for the generator.

There are definitely uses for electric trucks. I might consider one for my daily commute if the price was comparable. Most of my truck use is in developed areas, so if what you predict comes to fruition, I wouldn't have a problem finding a charging station. But if I was driving overland there's no way I'd opt for an electric truck.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Their comments are very valid. There are no gas stations in the bush, so there will be no charging stations there either. With gas or diesel engines, you can bring extra fuel with you in jerry cans. There really is no equivalent to that for an all electric truck. A generator is the next closest thing, so that would be my solution. The problem is the amount of time it would take to charge the truck enough to make it to a charging station. Also, there might still be a need to carry jerry cans for the generator.

There are definitely uses for electric trucks. I might consider one for my daily commute if the price was comparable. Most of my truck use is in developed areas, so if what you predict comes to fruition, I wouldn't have a problem finding a charging station. But if I was driving overland there's no way I'd opt for an electric truck.
Exactly. Until they start getting into the 600+ mile range for trucks they're going to be limited to populated areas for the most part. Yeah, they'll work for purposely going off-roading for maybe an afternoon, but it's not going to be a truck you take for the weekend to off-road unless you have charging stations nearby. That 350 mile range is very much like our gas EPA estimates. Does anyone's Rebel hit 22mpg's? I think the countless threads and complaints about "disappointed with mpg's" can answer that.

That 350 mile range turns into 150-250 real fast when extra load is put on the battery such as 4WD/AWD, off-roading, pulling a trailer, AC/heat, running auxiliary lights, winch, etc.

For most of us that use trucks as daily drivers, regular hauling of items in the bed and maybe a smaller trailer, and family travel vehicles an EV truck would work out for the most part. For what they display this truck doing (running desert trails and off-roading), not so much.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I

I would respond by saying that you should be well prepared BEFORE going out into an area with no gas stations regardless. If 350 miles won't get you to where you want to go and back, then I think you are traveling much further than most do to take their trucks out to play. Personally, I don't care because I will never go into the "bush"...my truck is a play toy to commute and take out onto the beach. I guess it all depends on where you live and what you want to do with your truck. 350 mile range would be far more than enough for my needs and most of the population.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'd like to see the range on that thing when the AC is on Max. Can it make it from Los Angeles to Las Vegas without a charge break? Or do you have to choose between melting or making a stop? Once a conventional vehicle is up to speed, it takes very little power to keep it there, and there is surplus horsepower at the RPM needed to keep that speed. Hence cranking up the AC won't really have a dramatic effect on mileage and range All electric AC is going to pull a lot of juice.

As for trip planning... several times in the last few years, the Death Valley National Park Facebook feed has announced no electricity in the park due to transformer failures or downed power lines. Imagine driving in for a couple days and then discovering you're going to be there a couple more, like it or not? And don't plan a trip to California, at least not one with a strict timetable, because they'll kill the juice if it's going to get windy, for fear of another huge wildfire. But I suppose if you can afford a Hummer, a few extra nights in a hotel won't break you.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It is the future it seems. However it does give pause to emergency scenarios. Even with a generator and gas for the generator onboard you will be waiting X time for enough charge to get back to safety.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For most people’s use 350 mile range in an electric pickup would be fine I’m sure. For those if us towing campers it would be useless. And I assume it will be a while until they make an electric truck that can tow a travel trailer for a couple hundred miles. Then again I don’t know anything about them so maybe I’m wrong

Users who are viewing this thread