5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Gas Milage

MPDamon

Reaction score
I'm new here but didn't find anything on a quick search. I have had 2 Rams. This is my first Rebel. I'm struggling with the gas mileage. Obviously I didn't buy the Rebel to save the planet. I wasn't as concerned until I met a guy yesterday that has a 2019 Rebel. He said he gets 17 driving pretty much the same route everyday that I do. I however get around 14 average. I even set the cruise control on the way back from coyote hunting the other night and got 16... that was crawling. Anyone have any insight. The dealership says everything looks fine.

sorry I should add that I have the 5.7 Hemi

Turaco

Reaction score
My gas mileage is pretty depressing too, also didnt buy the truck to save the planet, lol.
City driving, I get low 13s, mixed hwy and city get about 14.2, both of which I consider very bad. A good friend on mine that is an engineer at GM, told me MPGs will get better as the truck gets broken in with more mileage, other factors being, idle time in cold weather, winter fuel mix and apparently gear ratios, numerically lower ones getting better MPGs. I have 3.92 ratio, which is bad for gas mileage, but offers other advantages.
Having said that, there are quite a few threads in poor MPGs here, I’ve gone through them, but really they dont mean much, you get what you get with your truck.

MPDamon

Reaction score
Ok I've looked on google and no solid info.... where would I find the gear ratios? doesn't look to be on the window sticker.

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Ok I've looked on google and no solid info.... where would I find the gear ratios? doesn't look to be on the window sticker.
It should be on the window sticker under standard equipment about a 1/4 of the way day if it’s a 3.21. If it’s 3.92 it may be under optional equipment.

MPDamon

Reaction score
So what would they have changed from 2019 to 2021. His tires looked the same also. And yes I found it on the window sticker. 3.92 Thanks

Last edited:

My_first_RAM

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Rebel and I added the Mopar Airflow intake system, flow fx exhaust and resonator delete and it made no difference at all. I get 13.5 around town and 15.2 on the highway. All my friends tell me that I drive like an old man.
I am a little bummed about how terrible the mpgs are. I’m coming from a ‘17 JKU wrangler with a 4” lift, 20” wheels, 37” tires and metal bumpers, fenders, steps, winch, etc. I regeared the jeep and averaged 16-17 no matter how or where I drove it. I never thought that this truck would be significantly worse than a jeep, and I haven’t even started upgrading the suspension, wheels, tires, etc.
not sure what they were thinking when they engineered this truck, but it’s pretty sad.
Additionally, I have owned a laundry list of different vehicles and this is the first time that I have upgraded the intake and exhaust and saw basically zero improvement in the mpgs. That just doesn’t make sense.

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
I'm new here but didn't find anything on a quick search. I have had 2 Rams. This is my first Rebel. I'm struggling with the gas mileage. Obviously I didn't buy the Rebel to save the planet. I wasn't as concerned until I met a guy yesterday that has a 2019 Rebel. He said he gets 17 driving pretty much the same route everyday that I do. I however get around 14 average. I even set the cruise control on the way back from coyote hunting the other night and got 16... that was crawling. Anyone have any insight. The dealership says everything looks fine.

sorry I should add that I have the 5.7 Hemi
Thats basically exactly what you get. I've had a 2020 with etorque for 6 months now. Best I did was 17 mpg when I did a long road trip. Average around 14-15 mpg regularly.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.7 with the rebel package can be a real pig on fuel. Add in winter gas and remote start warmups and your mileage will drop significantly. Speed and idle time are the worst factors in mpg.

Even with the eco diesel my average combined with idle time to warm the truck up and defrost is around 18mpg. I can still squeeze 23-24mpg out on the highway, but with covid lockdowns I haven’t been travelling very far at all recently.

coolidge

Reaction score
So what would they have changed from 2019 to 2021. His tires looked the same also. And yes I found it on the window sticker. 3.92 Thanks

You purchased the hotrod version of the Ram both the engine performance mapping and rear diff. My brothers 2019 Big Horn was slow and lumbering off the line. To the point he had it back to the dealership several times to no avail. One of these times they gave him a Rebel as a loaner, night and day difference in performance off the line.

My own 2021 Rebel has a hair trigger gas pedal it goes like a bat out of hell, me likey!!! I get about the same mileage as you. No it won't get better after it 'breaks in'. Highway tires would likely help a bit I'm not a fan of these big lug Goodyears.

BobK

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Big Horn eTorque and I am only getting about 14 average. Much less than I thought I would but I have learned to just accept it. Even turn off on the display so I dont have to look at it. :) Not happy coming from cars that got 26 average and 30's highway but I figure its the price of a 5.7 Hemi. I have reset it many times to see if its my driving. Admittedly I do use the remote start for 10 minutes before getting it, sit parked here and there on the phone for 10 min at a time, but still 14 average! Sometimes less even. You figure with the start/stop it would be better but nope. oh well.

MPDamon

Reaction score
You purchased the hotrod version of the Ram both the engine performance mapping and rear diff. My brothers 2019 Big Horn was slow and lumbering off the line. To the point he had it back to the dealership several times to no avail. One of these times they gave him a Rebel as a loaner, night and day difference in performance off the line.

My own 2021 Rebel has a hair trigger gas pedal it goes like a bat out of hell, me likey!!! I get about the same mileage as you. No it won't get better after it 'breaks in'. Highway tires would likely help a bit I'm not a fan of these big lug Goodyears.
Agreed.. however I was comparing a 2019 Rebel to the 2021 Rebel. That's what I wasn't understanding.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Either your friend is telling a slightly white lie or he is driving even more conservative than you. I get about 13 mpg, that's with 60% city / 40% highway. If I hypermile it, I can get up with maybe 17, even 19 mpg highway with MDS operating.

If you search other mpg threads regarding Rebels, your mpg is about right. However the Hemi is known as a tight motor that gradually "loosens" up over time and improves mpg a little, but not anywhere near enough to match what your friend is doing.

As for me, I knew what I was getting into. 33" A/T tires, 1" suspension lift and 3.92 rear axle means terrible mpg. Your window sticker mpg is a lie, FCA blanket stated based on similar configured truck (i.e. crew cab, 4x4), but with 18" street tires and 3.21 rear axle. They are allowed to do that, but it's downright shady. At least GM bothered to adjust their Trail Boss packaged trims down a little because they come with 32" tires and off-road group and knew it wouldn't come close to the regular truck mpg.

The reason why FCA doesn't care is because they are already having issues keeping their CAFE numbers down, already buying carbon credits from Tesla by the millions, they can't afford to classify Rebels with accurate mpg figures.

Last edited:

phillipcgp

Reaction score
I dont have a rebel, but have the same axle, never even been on a highway to get higher mileage..my average as of today was 16.8...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I dont have a rebel, but have the same axle, never even been on a highway to get higher mileage..my average as of today was 16.8...

The other side of the equation is the tires, which are 33" all-terrains and the largest diameter tire on any 1500 RAM that isn't a TRX. Even the 22" optional wheels the tires are right around 32", and those are smooth street tires.

I figure if I had regular street 18" tires, my mpg would likely go up 3-4 at least.

MPDamon

Reaction score

Yeah I have no idea. Maybe the real axle lock and such of the rebel? Obviously it’s never on but don’t know much about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I have no idea. Maybe the real axle lock and such of the rebel? Obviously it’s never on but don’t know much about it.

Rebels are the worst trim for gas mileage. Break-In is a real thing, you will get worse gas mileage from 0-10,000 miles or so. Your tire and wheel setup make a huge difference, as does if you don’t have the air suspension. Probably the biggest perpetrator is the rear axle ratio tho. I believe you can only get the 3.92 axle ratio on the Rebel. Check your window sticker, it will say it on standard equipment before options I believe. The 3.92 is the worse for mileage. Lastly, what other options and packages you have. They add weight and therefore reduce mileage. A fully loaded Limited Longhorn 4x4 Crew Cab 3.92 without air suspension and with 22’s is going to get a lot worse gas mileage compared to a Tradesman 4x2 Quad Cab 3.21 with 18’s and nothing but air suspension; even if they both have the same powertrain.

MPDamon

Reaction score
Rebels are the worst trim for gas mileage. Break-In is a real thing, you will get worse gas mileage from 0-10,000 miles or so. Your tire and wheel setup make a huge difference, as does if you don’t have the air suspension. Probably the biggest perpetrator is the rear axle ratio tho. I believe you can only get the 3.92 axle ratio on the Rebel. Check your window sticker, it will say it on standard equipment before options I believe. The 3.92 is the worse for mileage. Lastly, what other options and packages you have. They add weight and therefore reduce mileage. A fully loaded Limited Longhorn 4x4 Crew Cab 3.92 without air suspension and with 22’s is going to get a lot worse gas mileage compared to a Tradesman 4x2 Quad Cab 3.21 with 18’s and nothing but air suspension; even if they both have the same powertrain.

I definitely have the 3.92. No air just coil on mine. I’ll have to look through the other options and post those.

RedlineRebel

Reaction score
I have a 19 rebel MPG is about the same for me. I manage to do 16mpg if I drive like its a prius but I guess we got what we bargained for cant complain now.

Users who are viewing this thread