5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel fuel economy

Dubs91

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I’m new to this site, and just bought my first Ram with the 5.7 a few months ago, and have over 8000 km on it. I’m not sure if this has already been asked before, but I wanted to ask what other owners have been getting for gas mileage with their trucks? Currently I average around 16 L/100km while driving around town. On the highway, around 14-15.

I have done a few things to my truck, 2” level in front, 33x12.5 tires, Flowmaster catback. I’m just wondering if 14-15L/100km on the highway is average, or should I expect better? I know they advertise 16 for city, and 11 for hwy.

I realize bigger tires = worse fuel economy, but just thought I’d ask anyway and see what other owners have experienced. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks

SacRebel

Reaction score
After 12,000 miles I'm averaging 13.2 mpg. That's with eTorque and no hauling or towing.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know litres buuuuuut I'm currently at 12,822 and dash says 13.5 MPG. I don't do alot of highway driving either.

When I go across town and hit the highway, it'll go up to about 14.8ish.

The Rebel is a bad truck to buy for fuel economy. No airdamn and offroad tires. I also bet that Flowmaster setup doesn't help you either lol

Luxy72462

Reaction score
Is this still being discussed. The Rebels don’t get **** for gas mileage and there’s several threads on this. My best tank has been 13 mpg. If you own a rebel deal with the ****ty gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What tires are you running? I have a big horn that I threw rebel wheels with Duratracs on and leveled it. Noticed a small drop with the Duratracs. But Once I leveled it I noticed a more significant drop in the mpg department.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Rebel has a lot going against it with mpg as mentioned earlier in this post, no air dam, 33" A/T, mandatory 3.92 rear axle and 1" higher ride height. That's why it was ridiculous for FCA to blanket mpg window sticker it like the 3.21 axle 18" street tired trucks that were actually tested by the EPA. They could have gotten an exception like GM did with the Trail Boss, that rides on 32" Duratracs by the way, but choose not to.

People familiar with 33" tires with high axle ratios knew what to expect, like myself, but lots of new truck buyers recently buying RAMs who probably are in for a shock buying a Rebel.

That being said, if you take it easy, meaning pretend there is an egg under your accelerator and you are trying not to crack it, you can actually get decent mpg. I can get 17 mpg city and 21 highway if I drive this way. I will of course upset anyone else driving behind me as I accelerate like a 100 year old grandma that somehow still has her license.

However, drive normally, or if you have an exhaust, drive aggressively (to hear the sound), you will likely average about 13 mpg mixed. I got pretty low mpg highway because I avoid the two slower lanes to prevent windshield rock hits, which means I need to be traveling at least 75 mph to avoid people trying to run me off the road. I also live in hilly area, which saps mpg compared to flat roads.

Last edited:

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Rebel has a lot going against it with mpg as mentioned earlier in this post, no air dam, 33" A/T, mandatory 3.92 rear axle and 1" higher ride height. That's why it was ridiculous for FCA to blanket mpg window sticker it like the 3.21 axle 18" street tired trucks that were actually tested by the EPA. They could have gotten an exception like GM did with the Trail Boss, that rides on 32" Duratracs by the way, but choose not to.

People familiar with 33" tires with high axle ratios knew what to expect, like myself, but lots of new truck buyers recently buying RAMs who probably are in for a shock buying a Rebel.

That being said, if you take it easy, meaning pretend there is an egg under your accelerator and you are trying not to crack it, you can actually get decent mpg. I can get 17 mpg city and 21 highway if I drive this way. I will of course upset anyone else driving behind me as I accelerate like a 100 year old grandma that somehow still has her license.

However, drive normally, or if you have an exhaust, drive aggressively (to hear the sound), you will likely average about 13 mpg mixed. I got pretty low mpg highway because I avoid the two slower lanes to prevent windshield rock hits, which means I need to be traveling at least 75 mph to avoid people trying to run me off the road. I also live in hilly area, which saps mpg compared to flat roads.

This...the 33” tires and axel combo...the sticker mpg is nothing but a lie lol. I’m amazed they advertise the mpg that they do on the Rebel

Dubs91

Reaction score
Is this still being discussed. The Rebels don’t get **** for gas mileage and there’s several threads on this. My best tank has been 13 mpg. If you own a rebel deal with the ****ty gas mileage.

Lol thanks for the insight. Not complaining, just asking what others have experienced with the Rebel.

Dubs91

Reaction score
I don't know litres buuuuuut I'm currently at 12,822 and dash says 13.5 MPG. I don't do alot of highway driving either.

When I go across town and hit the highway, it'll go up to about 14.8ish.

The Rebel is a bad truck to buy for fuel economy. No airdamn and offroad tires. I also bet that Flowmaster setup doesn't help you either lol

Apparently the setup I bought is supposed to “greatly increase gas mileage” lol but obviously that seems like some bs

Dubs91

Reaction score
What tires are you running? I have a big horn that I threw rebel wheels with Duratracs on and leveled it. Noticed a small drop with the Duratracs. But Once I leveled it I noticed a more significant drop in the mpg department.

33x12.5 General grabber atx on 20 inch fuel wheels. The wider tires and levelling kit obviously hurt the mpg.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
I have a loaded Laramie with the Off Road Group. I recently changed to a more aggressive A/T tire that has big nobbies. The mpg took a drive from 18-19 around town or hwy @70+mph to about 16.5-17. As stated above, if I dive real light on the pedal I can hit 18mpg where as before I’d easily get 20. Prior to having the undercarriage treated I was getting 20-24!!!!mpg with the regular 5.7 (NO E-torque)

That being said, no one likes paying a lot for fuel. But this truck is a tank. It’s likely the safest vehicle I’ve ever had because of the amount of high quality steel.

The last year I bought a 2019 Honda 6spd turbo 2.0. I can drive it at 80-100mph and get 30mpg. It barely weighs 3000lbs and is a mid size sedan. It’s a perfect and I mean perfect car in every way but one, it’s a tin can in comparison.

It has loads of room in the second row, as much as an S class. And the trunk is HUGE! Seats are comfy and heated, fantastic stereo with Apple Car Play, a blast to drive, it will never complain and always start, passive entry, lane detection, sunroof, nice steering wheel, and it was only $25K with 6k miles on it. It’s phenomenal in the snow.

Last week I drove to NYC from Vermont - it was outstanding and beautiful out. I had a blast weaving in and out of traffic (responsibly) and the car is so light and geared so nicely, I can drop to 4th or 5th at 80+ and it has giddy up

Then I leaned on the hood and I thought I was going to leave a dent. I weigh 140lbs lol I really love the car but cringe at the thought of an accident. And unless she really impressed me with her skills, certainly my daughter won’t be driving it even though it’s a perfect car for a new driver.

The truck is a tank. You hear about FORD aluminum tearing and quality issues like that with their body. RAM is the one that’s built tough. 43145236-9884-443D-B79B-8AD989E40C9B.png

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a stock 2019 and the best highway I have got is 11.4L/100Km so the 11 on the window sticker is close.

Users who are viewing this thread