5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rebel Ecodiesel excessive drivetrain vibration

DaveM111

Reaction score
OK. So I posted something similar to another thread a while back, but I would like some guidance.
I purchased my 2020 RAM Rebel w/ the ecodiesel in late January from my loacal dealer here in Rapid City, SD, and noticed from the get-go that there was significant and excessive drivetrain vibrations between 1800 and 2500 rpm felt in the steering wheel, pedal, floorboards and sometimes the seats. Additionally there is a definite audible "whir" to go along with the vibrations. I know, the dreaded 2000 rpm vibes.
I happens under load in that rpm range i.e. driving uphill especially on the interstate and disappears while coasting - meaning rpm specific and so not the tires nor the drive components after the transmission.
I've had the truck to the dealer and they did a STAR Case on it (which I cannot get any information from) and they called it good.
The dealer's write up was that "there are reports of this being a normal condition of the active noise cancellation system and not a diesel engine performance issue".

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no noise canceling system in the Eco’s...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah. This exact issue occurs in my gas V6 as well. The vibration is excessive in the steering wheel, floor, seats, and pedal in that RPM range under load. I think it’s the exhaust and I’ve been experimenting how to dampen. I’ve been told by FCA it’s a “characteristic of the vehicle” and there is nothing to fix because there isn't a problem. Hmmm.

DaveM111

Reaction score
I assumed they were talking about the tuned mass dampers - or what Ram calls their Active Tuned Mass Module (ATMM) system. I could even get them to tell me what the source of the vibration was.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OK. So I posted something similar to another thread a while back, but I would like some guidance.
I purchased my 2020 RAM Rebel w/ the ecodiesel in late January from my loacal dealer here in Rapid City, SD, and noticed from the get-go that there was significant and excessive drivetrain vibrations between 1800 and 2500 rpm felt in the steering wheel, pedal, floorboards and sometimes the seats. Additionally there is a definite audible "whir" to go along with the vibrations. I know, the dreaded 2000 rpm vibes.
I happens under load in that rpm range i.e. driving uphill especially on the interstate and disappears while coasting - meaning rpm specific and so not the tires nor the drive components after the transmission.
I've had the truck to the dealer and they did a STAR Case on it (which I cannot get any information from) and they called it good.
The dealer's write up was that "there are reports of this being a normal condition of the active noise cancellation system and not a diesel engine performance issue".
Hi @DaveM111, we would be happy to look further into this for you if needed! Please feel free to follow up privately with your VIN for assistance should you decide to further address this with your dealer.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Reactions: Val

ElkoNV

My dog thinks I’m cool.
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You sure? I have not picked up my Eco yet but my subwoofer box will be here any day and I thought I was going to have to bypass it. This is awesome news to me. Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am starting to feel vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel in the 1500 RPM range and this is without ECO turning on. Something has changed since I got the truck - not for the better IMO. Less than 8K miles on it.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
We need to continue to report the issue in hopes that something will be done about it. The vibration seems to span all engines - I have always thought it was a driveline vibration. Like torque converter or something.

Does your vibration also come through the gas pedal and seat? Does it go away after 2000RPM?

Reactions: Val

DaveM111

Reaction score
Hi @DaveM111, we would be happy to look further into this for you if needed! Please feel free to follow up privately with your VIN for assistance should you decide to further address this with your dealer.

Kathryn
Ram Cares
Kathryn, thank you. I will send you the info.

DaveM111

Reaction score
We need to continue to report the issue in hopes that something will be done about it. The vibration seems to span all engines - I have always thought it was a driveline vibration. Like torque converter or something.

Does your vibration also come through the gas pedal and seat? Does it go away after 2000RPM?
Yes it's through the gas pedal. No it doesn't go away at 2000 rpm. For my truck it's about 2400 to 2500.

Klicht87

Reaction score
I am starting to feel vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel in the 1500 RPM range and this is without ECO turning on. Something has changed since I got the truck - not for the better IMO. Less than 8K miles on it.
I seem to have the vibration also on my 2021 Laramie. I have about 3000 miles on it. Took it to the dealer and they reported the wheels needed to be balanced and that was it. What I have noticed is at the recommended 36psi for the tires, it's the worst. I bumped them up to 40psi and it's very minimal.

I have the 22" midnight wheels. I'm pretty sure the issue is in the tires but I don't really want to fork over $1500 for new tires on a brand new truck.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Kathryn, thank you. I will send you the info.
Hi Dave, following up on the vibration symptoms you've been experiencing with your truck. Would you mind following up privately with your VIN? We would be interested in investigating this further for you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread