5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram won’t start

Miked513

Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback from any members who may have dealt with this. First let me say I travel a lot for work so this has been extremely inconvenient for me.

I have just over 20k miles on the truck now. 2020 Laramie with 5.7, no etorque. About two weeks ago I remote started the truck, came out and it wasn’t running. Did it again and all I hear is a loud click coming from under the good, maybe ignition switch? Well then it doesn’t start. Get inside, brake pedal has a ton of pressure in it and it still just clicks when trying to start the truck. No warning lights or anything out of the norm on the gauge cluster. So I needed to get somewhere fast, took my wife’s car and came back within 30 minutes, then it starts working again. Fast forward to yesterday and it’s doing the same thing at my hotel when I have to get somewhere. I start googling and find some videos of dodge journeys having the same symptoms but their fix won’t work for me. Open, close the door, cycle through off/acc/run 5 times, then let the gauges settle, try to start but hold the run button down for 10 seconds or so. Doing this does however flash this message for a split second and says the blind spot system needs service (something like that). Anyway I try a million different sequences trying to get it to work and finally I walk about 40 ft away from the truck, try remote start again and it works. So then I think maybe it’s proximity related?

Get to dinner last night, try to leave and it does this crap for another hour straight. This time it magically starts working after I play with the parking brake switch... not even engaging or disengaging because it won’t let me, just toggling it. Starts right up and I’m on my way. I’m writing this knowing I’ll probably be fighting it here in about an hour trying to leave again but I will be getting it to the dealer today with a video of me showing it all. I love this truck but unreliability with starting is a big issue and I can’t even make it happen long enough to have it towed to the dealer.

Does ANYONE know what’s going on??? Please help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best guess loose ground, a few under hood on drivers side fender near fuse box and a few on frame rails down below. Probably best for dealer to chase it down unless your in a pinch and stranded.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Miked513

Reaction score
Thanks, happy to see 2 suggestions align already. Dropping it at the dealer this afternoon and I will definitely mention that.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hoping to get some feedback from any members who may have dealt with this. First let me say I travel a lot for work so this has been extremely inconvenient for me.

I have just over 20k miles on the truck now. 2020 Laramie with 5.7, no etorque. About two weeks ago I remote started the truck, came out and it wasn’t running. Did it again and all I hear is a loud click coming from under the good, maybe ignition switch? Well then it doesn’t start. Get inside, brake pedal has a ton of pressure in it and it still just clicks when trying to start the truck. No warning lights or anything out of the norm on the gauge cluster. So I needed to get somewhere fast, took my wife’s car and came back within 30 minutes, then it starts working again. Fast forward to yesterday and it’s doing the same thing at my hotel when I have to get somewhere. I start googling and find some videos of dodge journeys having the same symptoms but their fix won’t work for me. Open, close the door, cycle through off/acc/run 5 times, then let the gauges settle, try to start but hold the run button down for 10 seconds or so. Doing this does however flash this message for a split second and says the blind spot system needs service (something like that). Anyway I try a million different sequences trying to get it to work and finally I walk about 40 ft away from the truck, try remote start again and it works. So then I think maybe it’s proximity related?

Get to dinner last night, try to leave and it does this crap for another hour straight. This time it magically starts working after I play with the parking brake switch... not even engaging or disengaging because it won’t let me, just toggling it. Starts right up and I’m on my way. I’m writing this knowing I’ll probably be fighting it here in about an hour trying to leave again but I will be getting it to the dealer today with a video of me showing it all. I love this truck but unreliability with starting is a big issue and I can’t even make it happen long enough to have it towed to the dealer.

Does ANYONE know what’s going on??? Please help!!!

I apologize for the trouble, @Miked513! Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message if you are in need of any additional support while working with your dealer on this.

Mark
RamCares

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Open the fuse box under the hood and press down hard on every relay and fuse in there. You will likely be surprised how many you fill find not fully seated. As mentioned above, check your grounds as well.

Miked513

Reaction score
Well I got it back from the dealer this afternoon and so far so good, only time will tell though but I’m hopeful. They found a Star case S2008000105 that covered symptoms like mine and instructed them to inspect grounds G921 and G922. Clean them and secure the cables to the stud location. So for those who suggested grounding... it would appear you may have been right. Service tech gave me a copy of the info in the Star case so I will attach it below for anyone else dealing with the same issue in the future. Hopefully I never have to reply to this thread again.

c47fdfe8510260f650a16e316cb3a852.jpg

stevegads19

Reaction score
Do you know where those grounds are located? I have a very similar issue but instead left my truck at work overnight to have it towed to the dealer in the morning. Very similar conditions right now that you have described.

Users who are viewing this thread