5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram ecodiesel engine not shutting off

Gavin27

Reaction score
My 2020 ram 1500 longhorn ecodiesel was not shutting off as the push button start was unresponsive while trying to shut off. After about 30 minutes i pushed the button 10-15 times non stop and it turned off. I haven’t started it since. Its night time and the dealer isn’t open till Tuesday due to the long weekend here. What could have caused this? How to turn off the engine if the start buttons unresponsive?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure what would cause that , this is the first I’ve ever heard of that ( not saying it’s never happened , I’ve just never heard of it before ) I know the procedure for if it doesn’t start but not if it doesn’t turn off .

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the dealer diagnose it yet? I'm curious what would cause that. Sounds like a faulty push to start button.

Drewster

Reaction score
Did you get it hot? Diesels (really any engine) aren't supposed to be shut off immediately if you've been putting them under a lot of load, and there are obviously certain cycles where it needs to do a DPF regen, etc. Are you sure it didn't put a message on the screen? Here's the cool down chart for reference - I'm wondering if the ECU was just waiting for the engine to cool down.

Users who are viewing this thread