5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Barn Door Tunnel Cover? (NO RAM BOX)

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Pepper- thanks for the pics. Nice cover. I had the Pace Edwards Bedlocker on my last truck. That was a nice cover also, buy prefer the rear seal on the Retrax.

Pepper

Reaction score
Pepper- thanks for the pics. Nice cover. I had the Pace Edwards Bedlocker on my last truck. That was a nice cover also, buy prefer the rear seal on the Retrax.
I was gonna go with the Pace Edwards All Metal Jackrabbit but stuck with what I know as I've had Retrax before. Great product and it works for me quite well with no issues.

Engine12

Reaction score

Pepper

Reaction score
Getting ready to install the same cover in a week or so. Is there anything special or suggestions that I should know ? Thanks !
I used the instructions along with an install video from Real Truck or somewhere. Together it was very simple. No surprises and went together perfectly. I layed a blanket on my garage floor took everything out and put it together on the blanket. My wife helped me pick up the cover and rails and set in on the Retrax rails with absolutely no issues, after that you measure to make sure everything is square and tighten up. Now that I know how to do one myself, I could easily do it in 30 minutes but as this was my first time doing a cover install it took about an hour but very easy and it doesn't weigh anything so no, no surprises. If you get hung up for any reason, just shoot my a PM with your cell and I can call or text you to help. Good luck

Pepper

Reaction score
Pepper, I see you have Ram boxes, do they still function properly after installing the cover?
Yes, they open correctly. Only difference is the Retrax rails have a weatherstripping that sits just over the Ramboxes so they don't pop up and stay open and obviously have a little resistence to them. Not anything I personally have cared about. You have to hold the Ramboxes open with one hand to grab stuff out of the boxes. I've been giving a lot of consideration to using a box cutter or scissors to trim the weatherstripping from the top of the Ramboxes but I haven't fully committed to that idea as of yet. Don't know how sealed the cover will remain and keep water and snow out. I'll take another look tomorrow and if I decide to pull the trigger I'll let you guys know.

brstep50

Reaction score
ordered the brackets right on brackets. Installed my Bak revolver x4 this weekend. Looks good. The fit is a little tight at the brackets as they stick into the bed a little on each side, squeezing the rails and making for a tight fit of the cover near the cab. But seems good so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2798.jpeg
    IMG_2798.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2800.jpeg
    IMG_2800.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2797.jpeg
    IMG_2797.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 96

jcarcueva

Reaction score
ordered the brackets right on brackets. Installed my Bak revolver x4 this weekend. Looks good. The fit is a little tight at the brackets as they stick into the bed a little on each side, squeezing the rails and making for a tight fit of the cover near the cab. But seems good so far.

Interesting....you were able to install a full rail with using the right on brackets.

Does this mean that we are able to use other hard trifolds such as the Bakflip MX4?

JERRYRAM

Reaction score
Interesting....you were able to install a full rail with using the right on brackets.

Does this mean that we are able to use other hard trifolds such as the Bakflip MX4?
would also be interested to know if an mx4 would work with the brakets

brstep50

Reaction score
I think you should be able to use any comparable cover that uses the rails.....

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Pepper,

Nice truck and congrats. I recently purchased an EcoDiesel with nearly the same specs as your rig. Question on the cover, when trying to get to the right cover variant for the rambox with multifunction gate, I can only chose the rambox w/o multifunction gate. Is this (below) what you purchased and also wanted to know if you still have had success with remaining free of water intrusion.

RETRAXPRO MX
(219)
2020 RAM 1500
Bed Length:5' 7"
Cargo Management System:With RamBox
Multifunction Tailgate:Without Multifunction Tailgate
Tonneau Rails:Standard Rails w/out Stake Pockets

CLEARHIDE
2020Ram15005' 7"With RamBoxWithout Multifunction Tailgate

Reaction score
Pepper,

Nice truck and congrats. I recently purchased an EcoDiesel with nearly the same specs as your rig. Question on the cover, when trying to get to the right cover variant for the rambox with multifunction gate, I can only chose the rambox w/o multifunction gate. Is this (below) what you purchased and also wanted to know if you still have had success with remaining free of water intrusion.

RETRAXPRO MX
(219)
2020 RAM 1500
Bed Length:5' 7"
Cargo Management System:With RamBox
Multifunction Tailgate:Without Multifunction Tailgate
Tonneau Rails:Standard Rails w/out Stake Pockets

CLEARHIDE
2020Ram15005' 7"With RamBoxWithout Multifunction Tailgate
Pepper OR rbdennis,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the RetraxPro MX. Can either of you confirm that #80244 is the correct one you used for 2020 Limited 5'7" w/rambox and MFT? Also, I'm looking at getting it from tonneaucoversworld.com unless you have a better/cheaper source.

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Pepper OR rbdennis,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the RetraxPro MX. Can either of you confirm that #80244 is the correct one you used for 2020 Limited 5'7" w/rambox and MFT? Also, I'm looking at getting it from tonneaucoversworld.com unless you have a better/cheaper source.
I went with DiamonBack HD. It arrived, I installed--I'm a happy camper. I do need to place weather stripping around the tailgate perimeter (areas where tailgate and bed meet) to get a good tight seal. Because I have the Ramboxes, I also will be applying weather stripping to those 4-6" gaps that are left from the corners of the tailgate to the outer edges of the DiamondBAck Cover.

20200128_164957.jpg

Reaction score
I went with DiamonBack HD. It arrived, I installed--I'm a happy camper. I do need to place weather stripping around the tailgate perimeter (areas where tailgate and bed meet) to get a good tight seal. Because I have the Ramboxes, I also will be applying weather stripping to those 4-6" gaps that are left from the corners of the tailgate to the outer edges of the DiamondBAck Cover.

View attachment 45159
Nice cover. You had me seriously reconsidering but I think I'm going to stick with Retrax. Very nice though, I hope you enjoy it.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score

View attachment 45159
Hello
I love the idea of the diamondback cover
Are u satisfied with the fit/leaks ?
How tall is the cover from the edges of the truck, not including the knobs/tie downs

do you mind taking more pictures of the cover on your truck

Thank you so much

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Hello
I love the idea of the diamondback cover
Are u satisfied with the fit/leaks ?
How tall is the cover from the edges of the truck, not including the knobs/tie downs

do you mind taking more pictures of the cover on your truck

Thank you so much
Big Red Rebel,

The cover is awesome. Unexpectedly though, I get lots of compliments when I'm out and about. Currently, the truck is at the dealer getting an issue resolved. When I get it back I will post more pics of the truck/cover. Will also take measurements and answer there as well. Just gestimating for now, I'd say the cover height, not including tie downs is approx. 1.25 inches.

As far as leaks, I did experience leaks but I added weather stripping which resolved that issue. I also added silicone sealant to seal micro-gaps between certain areas. Here are the weather strips I added, which I purchased at Amazon (tried to buy locally but that wasn't happening).
1. ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal with Taper Seal 10ft for use with Truck Caps and Tonneau Covers
2. ESI Front Rail Seal XL 5 1/2' EPDM Rubber

Keep in mind, my truck has Ramboxes and barn doors. If yours is different, the additional weather stripping may not be required.

I recently hauled a patio set (round glass table and 4 chairs) and dining rooming table atop the diamondback cover. The tie-downs are sturdy and the cover performed very well during the haul. I put the dining chairs in the bed beneath the cover during the same haul. I'm very pleased with the purchase of this cover.

Hope these comments are helpful to you with your buying decision.

Big Red Rebel

Reaction score
Big Red Rebel,

The cover is awesome. Unexpectedly though, I get lots of compliments when I'm out and about. Currently, the truck is at the dealer getting an issue resolved. When I get it back I will post more pics of the truck/cover. Will also take measurements and answer there as well. Just gestimating for now, I'd say the cover height, not including tie downs is approx. 1.25 inches.

As far as leaks, I did experience leaks but I added weather stripping which resolved that issue. I also added silicone sealant to seal micro-gaps between certain areas. Here are the weather strips I added, which I purchased at Amazon (tried to buy locally but that wasn't happening).
1. ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal with Taper Seal 10ft for use with Truck Caps and Tonneau Covers
2. ESI Front Rail Seal XL 5 1/2' EPDM Rubber

Keep in mind, my truck has Ramboxes and barn doors. If yours is different, the additional weather stripping may not be required.

I recently hauled a patio set (round glass table and 4 chairs) and dining rooming table atop the diamondback cover. The tie-downs are sturdy and the cover performed very well during the haul. I put the dining chairs in the bed beneath the cover during the same haul. I'm very pleased with the purchase of this cover.

Hope these comments are helpful to you with your buying decision.
That’s fantastic
Thank You for your feedback
My truck has no ram box and no MFT
I guess I will have to see for myself in regards to leaks
I look forward to your additional pics
Again, thank you for your time

Users who are viewing this thread