5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Mopar LSD Drop-in? (non LSD truck)

Chruisser

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2020 Ram Limited Black appearance CPO with 32k miles on it. The ONLY thing it didn't have was the LSD which wasn't really a deal breaker considering the circumstances. Bummer, I know. "Why would you build a truck without a LSD" - my wife after trying to turn around on our gravel driveway.

The truck is a 5.7Hemi with standard 3.21 gears.

I'm looking to add the Mopar LSD (purchased from Moe's). I've done a BUNCH of research but haven't been able to get this question answered.

Will the MOPAR LSD 'drop-in'? - aka, will I be able to do this swap WITHOUT the need to pull the pinion?

I'm mechanically inclined and work on all my own equipment/toys/machines. I've done everything except for a transmission and/or axle overhaul. So pulling the wheels/brakes/axles and dropping the carrier isn't a problem.

I have a press and dial indicator to press on new bearings and quadruple check backlash after install. Thanks in advance!

Chruisser

Reaction score
So, I'm happy to report the answer to my question.

Sort of...

I ended up getting the Mopar LSD from Moes's with the bearing kit.

On the 5th gens there are carrier bearing adjuster/caps that require a tool to adjust. You will need to loosen these to remove the differential/carrier. The tool is essentially a 4' rod with a 3/4" 6point Allen style head. You could theoretically use a pice of pipe with 3/4" fitting on the end I suppose. I managed to get it in 2 days off Amazon over Thanksgiving break.

I pulled everything apart, the diff cover off, and upon getting the tool, was able to loosen the carrier bearing caps and the differential/carrier dropped out. I cleaned it up, installed the ring gear on the new Mopar LSD, and new carrier bearings (recommend a press) and started re-installing. I essentially kept the caps 3/4 turns out on one side a d 3 turns on the other. That setting was the final setting where backlash was matched to the .007 before I removed, and the pattern was perfect.

I DID NOT have to do anything with the pinion! Which made this infinitely easier.

Reinstalled everything and she runs flawlessly. After 300 miles there's a set of 100' dual strips to prove it.

I did a fluid change again and added lsd additive. All together I have 750 miles on it with no issues.

Hope this helps someone else out! I had 3 local shops tell me they weren't interested in the job, or quote me $1,400 (only if I bought the parts through them).

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Chruisser

Reaction score
Update, a 2,000 mile road trip and another 3,000 miles going strong!

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice write up. My 2019 BigHorn had open diff and my new 2022 Laramie has anti-spin. I honestly haven’t noticed much of a difference between them. If anything, the 2019 had better traction than the 2022.

That said, it probably has more to do with the tires than the differential. My 2019 had General Grabbers ATx and the new truck has the stock Good Year Duratracs that came on the OEM Rebel wheels that I swapped on.

When the time comes, I am definitely going with the General tires again.

Chruisser

Reaction score
Under normal conditions the open-diff is perfect. The stability control system also does a good job at applying brakes to 'mimic' an LSD diff.

My circumstances with a long ~1/4mi. long, hilly driveway, and tons of driving, exacerbated those conditions and made it miserable, especially knowing the difference between open vs. LSD. Daily I would drop my son at the bottom of our gravel driveway. At the bottom, I was facing downhill on a 10% grade. Trying to reverse up in 2WD with the open diff, 1 wheel was easy to overpower. I'd reverse and do a 3pt turn, backing into some mulch on the side where I split our firewood, and that's where 1 wheel would just spin. The stability control did a poor job of getting both to spin and get me out of there. With the anti-spin diff, it's seamless.

Getting a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers mounted as we speak, and that will also make a huge difference. Tires are usually 50% of the mix. I've had FWD cars with snows that go up your driveway in snow without issue. Meanwhile my wifes Grand Cherokee has a hard time. Enjoy the Laramie!

Users who are viewing this thread