5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Limited - First Impressions

Pepper

Reaction score
I purchaed a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited in Black/Black and these are my first impressions having driven only 250 miles thus far. Full description of my truck is in my signature at the bottom.
Full disclosure, I'm not a writer nor have been asked to endorse Ram in any way. I'm one of ya'll and these are just my thoughts about my truck and Ram in general.

1. The airbag ride is quite good, has more body roll than I'd prefer but overall I can't complain as the ride quality is very good.
2. Can't figure out why I change the display brightness setting down to 1 at night and it didn't stay on that setting, it defaulted back to an ungodly 10. Blinded me like crazy when I first got in the truck. I think it has accepted the new setting but that remains to be seen. I'll update later.
3. The tires are a joke. Goodyear 6 ply highway tires stolen from a Prius are embarrassing. Do these trucks not have an option for adult sizes? Me being from Texas, I'd really prefer to have an option that says "mens sizes". Sitting next to an F-150 King Ranch or Limited, these tires look like they came off a childs hot wheel toy. Even if it's an option I'd pay for it up front rather than having to take my brand new truck to discount tire.
4. The truck definitely needs a setting from the manufacturer for locking the truck the rear view mirrors retract inward.
5. The interior and technology are top shelf. Easily blows away all of the competition.
6. After over a decade, you'd think by now that Ram would have a supplier who could properly make the Ramboxes not warp. This has and is a huge downfall for Ram. And this should of been addressed years ago. Who the hell wants a $70K truck with warped plastic on the bed? I mean seriously Ram, brilliant idea, relatively easily to fix and you act like you don't give a damn. All those ads and interviews from Ram that say " we listened to the customer", you didn't listen to a soul on earth about what the customer needs in the real world. And believe me this is a big problem.
7. 3.21 gears are too damn weak. I have them so I know. It's too soft a setting for something that weighs between 5,000 - 7,000 pounds. Start them at least around 3.55. I prefer the 3.92 and would gladly pay for the 4.10 just because I travel for work and I don't travel 30 miles down a flat road. On an uphill climb in Colorado this thing climbs like an asthmatic breathing through a straw. In the end, it's my fault because the only truck dressed out exactly the way I wanted with the 3.92's was 1300 miles away. So although I have to live with 3.21 gears there is no way that should even be on a Ram.
8. Split Mult-Function Tailgate. Absolutely brilliant and worth the option. You don't know how useful and practical it is until you use them enough times. My wife and her friends love the tailgate as it's so much easier to load groceries, etc without having to reach across the tailgate. Simple idea with big results.
9. The headlights turning into curves is another excellent idea that works and works very well.
10. In the future, raise the headline at least 2" and push it out further, so larger guys don't feel claustrophic and closed in.
11. In the future, copy Toyota and Hummer and have the entire rear glass panel go down and get rid of these dinker sliding glass. Good for moving air but not practical enough to reach anything and my dog wants to jump into the bed from time to time so give us some more useful room. Make it an option. Another simple idea with big results.
12. Spend the extra dollars and get better paint with multiple layers of clear coat. Too many forum members have their paint fading in less than a year. Ya'll should be embarrassed by that.
13. You need better brakes, these are too weak. They need more initial bite and a hefty amount more stopping power.

Ram by far more than any other company the last 10-20 years by leaps and bounds and have come up with an amazing product. I don't believe after being a life long Ford owner that no truck manufacturer can compete with Ram. They have hired the right Project Managers, designers and leaders to aggressively design and build the best product in the market, finally. But with marketing being what it is (a huge pain in the ***), they would overtake Ford if they made the right changes now as opposed to waiting another 10-15 years slowly adding these features. As marketing doesn't want you to build the absolute best truck ever, they want you to slowly build on each success so you can continue to increase sales and add options as we go. But Ram has got to at the very least change supply vendors and get some very simple things changed for the better. Especially the Ramboxes, tires, brakes and gearing. I see these as huge problems costing them tens of thousands of units they could be selling.

Any other thoughts, impressions or ideas please feel free to contribute.
Best wishes to all and be safe.

2A.jpg
2D.jpg

Last edited:

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck. I am the proud new owner of a limited....since last night!
My initial impressions of this truck start with...WOW. Totally impressed.
The interior is amazing. The ride is comfortable and quiet. The HK sound system is impressive.
I am struggling with a couple things though. I can't seem to get my bi-fucntion headlights to move at all, and the auto-high beams are not working either. I have tripple checked the settings in the U-connect and both options are enabled. Not sure what is going on there. Can't wait to drive it today!

bfp9

Reaction score
Could not agree more with you on the paint. I have all the necessary tools to detail cars - and have spent years detailing my other cars. I would not touch this car with a rotary polisher. Only random orbital. I’ve got huge inconsistencies in the paint thickness across the panels. From 10ft it looks fine. When you get close, the orange peel is atrocious. I’ve gotten the truck to about as good as it can get, and sealed it with Quartz. But it took twice as long as it takes for me to detail my other car that is 20 years old and on its original paint.

The rear window thing I agree with as well.

And finally and most important to me, the tires. I’ve posted it here before but get new tires before you run into the issue I’ve run into with those Bridgestone Duelers. I blew three of them before 15k miles. I threw K02s in 305/55/20 onto the stock wheels and I haven’t had any issues since. Only rub full lock in entry exit at full articulation, and once in normal mode after taking a steep driveway admittedly too fast.

Beautiful truck. Congrats on the purchase. Hopefully yours runs trouble free. Mine has been in the shop 4 times now in 22,721 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
3. The tires are a joke. Goodyear 6 ply highway tires stolen from a Prius are embarrassing. Do these trucks not have an option for adult sizes? Me being from Texas, I'd really prefer to have an option that says "mens sizes". Sitting next to an F-150 King Ranch or Limited, these tires look like they came off a childs hot wheel toy. Even if it's an option I'd pay for it up front rather than having to take my brand new truck to discount tire.

The Ford Limited comes with 275/45/22s, so the RAM's tires are actually beefier (wider), than the Ford's.

Cheers,

Twister

Reaction score
Its all in what one wants, I drove GMC, Ford, and Chevy before buying the RAM, since I will put 30-40k miles on one per year when using for work I wanted the best ride and drive, Ram was the winner hands down. As far as orange peel, I have never owned a truck of any brand that did not have it including a Ford Platinum and a GMC denali. The tires I like as they are smooth riding and handle well at fast speeds in the rain. The two things I have had wrong surprised me a little but I have never been a fan of automated step boards.

Pepper

Reaction score
The Ford Limited comes with 275/45/22s, so the RAM's tires are actually beefier (wider), than the Ford's.

Cheers,
Beefier is in no way correct. Wider yes but a Goodyear highway car tire is not an all terrain truck tire. But I do see the point you're trying to make.

skracus

Reaction score
Congrats on your new truck. I am the proud new owner of a limited....since last night!
The interior is amazing. The ride is comfortable and quiet. The HK sound system is impressive.
I am struggling with a couple things though. I can't seem to get my bi-fucntion headlights to move at all, and the auto-high beams are not working either. I have tripple checked the settings in the U-connect and both options are enabled. Not sure what is going on there. Can't wait to drive it today!

Had mine in today for auto hi beams and a few other issues. Thanks to this forum (which I showed the tech) the tech “reconfigured” some system on the truck and now the hi beams work properly. Took him about 10-15 minutes and they did it with the truck sitting in front of me. Had I not showed him this forum I would have left without the hi beams fixed.

Icecoldak

Reaction score
Had mine in today for auto hi beams and a few other issues. Thanks to this forum (which I showed the tech) the tech “reconfigured” some system on the truck and now the hi beams work properly. Took him about 10-15 minutes and they did it with the truck sitting in front of me. Had I not showed him this forum I would have left without the hi beams fixed.

so what is this "reconfigure" of the truck to make the auto high beams work? I heard this twice but no explanation lol---what did they change in the settings!

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Do you know if they hooked up their laptop, or did he just reset something from the screen ? Assuming he connected his laptop....I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer on day three of owning this truck.
I hope this is not the start of a very bad track record.

**UPDATE - after doing more reading on here, I see I need the have the BCM reflashed or reset at the dealer. Going by there today.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Beefier is in no way correct. Wider yes but a Goodyear highway car tire is not an all terrain truck tire. But I do see the point you're trying to make.
Well, but your description of the Ford's Limited was "man size", when in fact they're smaller than the RAM's...

Cheers,

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Nice review. I agree with much of what you mentioned.
Not trying to start anything, and not that I am a fan of the stock Goodyears. And I agree that those tires make the trucks look anemic. But I'm wondering if your issue with them is because you're wanting to take your truck off-road, or because it looks better (more aggressive) to you with them? Your ride and fuel economy will suffer with 10-ply tires, so if it's for form rather than function you might want to reconsider. Just my 2 cents.

Twister

Reaction score
The only thing I wish my didn't have that it does is the e torque engine. Guys that I run down the road with that have trucks with out it, get better mileage than I do, usually 1.5 to 2 mpg better. Mine is hanging around 17.5 -17.8 per tank.

Dirtfreak

Reaction score
I purchaed a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited in Black/Black and these are my first impressions having driven only 250 miles thus far. Full description of my truck is in my signature at the bottom.
Full disclosure, I'm not a writer nor have been asked to endorse Ram in any way. I'm one of ya'll and these are just my thoughts about my truck and Ram in general.

1. The airbag ride is quite good, has more body roll than I'd prefer but overall I can't complain as the ride quality is very good.
2. Can't figure out why I change the display brightness setting down to 1 at night and it didn't stay on that setting, it defaulted back to an ungodly 10. Blinded me like crazy when I first got in the truck. I think it has accepted the new setting but that remains to be seen. I'll update later.
4. The truck definitely needs a setting from the manufacturer for locking the truck the rear view mirrors retract inward.
5. The interior and technology are top shelf. Easily blows away all of the competition.
6. After over a decade, you'd think by now that Ram would have a supplier who could properly make the Ramboxes not warp. This has and is a huge downfall for Ram. And this should of been addressed years ago. Who the hell wants a $70K truck with warped plastic on the bed? I mean seriously Ram, brilliant idea, relatively easily to fix and you act like you don't give a damn. All those ads and interviews from Ram that say " we listened to the customer", you didn't listen to a soul on earth about what the customer needs in the real world. And believe me this is a big problem.
7. 3.21 gears are too damn weak. I have them so I know. It's too soft a setting for something that weighs between 5,000 - 7,000 pounds. Start them at least around 3.55. I prefer the 3.92 and would gladly pay for the 4.10 just because I travel for work and I don't travel 30 miles down a flat road. On an uphill climb in Colorado this thing climbs like an asthmatic breathing through a straw. In the end, it's my fault because the only truck dressed out exactly the way I wanted with the 3.92's was 1300 miles away. So although I have to live with 3.21 gears there is no way that should even be on a Ram.
8. Split Mult-Function Tailgate. Absolutely brilliant and worth the option. You don't know how useful and practical it is until you use them enough times. My wife and her friends love the tailgate as it's so much easier to load groceries, etc without having to reach across the tailgate. Simple idea with big results.
9. The headlights turning into curves is another excellent idea that works and works very well.
10. In the future, raise the headline at least 2" and push it out further, so larger guys don't feel claustrophic and closed in.
11. In the future, copy Toyota and Hummer and have the entire rear glass panel go down and get rid of these dinker sliding glass. Good for moving air but not practical enough to reach anything and my dog wants to jump into the bed from time to time so give us some more useful room. Make it an option. Another simple idea with big results.
12. Spend the extra dollars and get better paint with multiple layers of clear coat. Too many forum members have their paint fading in less than a year. Ya'll should be embarrassed by that.
13. You need better brakes, these are too weak. They need more initial bite and a hefty amount more stopping power.

Ram by far more than any other company the last 10-20 years by leaps and bounds and have come up with an amazing product. I don't believe after being a life long Ford owner that no truck manufacturer can compete with Ram. They have hired the right Project Managers, designers and leaders to aggressively design and build the best product in the market, finally. But with marketing being what it is (a huge pain in the ***), they would overtake Ford if they made the right changes now as opposed to waiting another 10-15 years slowly adding these features. As marketing doesn't want you to build the absolute best truck ever, they want you to slowly build on each success so you can continue to increase sales and add options as we go. But Ram has got to at the very least change supply vendors and get some very simple things changed for the better. Especially the Ramboxes, tires, brakes and gearing. I see these as huge problems costing them tens of thousands of units they could be selling.

Any other thoughts, impressions or ideas please feel free to contribute.
Best wishes to all and be safe.

View attachment 41373
View attachment 41374
As far as body roll, Replace the rear sway bar with a Hellwig sway bar because it is solid and adjustable and the one that comes on the truck is hollow. As far as tires, I would have asked if they would have given credit toward the tires on the truck and went and purchased some Michelin tires. They make 22" tires.

Last edited:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Many trucks left the factory without the auto-dim headlights enabled in the BCM. Your dealer will correct it with a reconfigure. They're likely tied together in the BCM. Mine needed it, others have reported the same thing and every truck on the dealers lot needed it here. 10/19 build date on my truck.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
so what is this "reconfigure" of the truck to make the auto high beams work? I heard this twice but no explanation lol---what did they change in the settings!
They're just flashing the BCM with the correct software load for your VIN. Simple and quick.

JustMe

Reaction score
Nice honest review, and I totally agree on the REAR window . . . as it is, basically worthless . Love the thought about the "Dog Issue" and a LARGE or FULL Rear Widow Up / Down . Nissan also has this . Geez, if Nissan can see the benefit, why not RAM ? I've been harping on this, mostly in my own mind or at some helpless sales person ever since I 1st saw the big powered Up/Down windows on Toyota & Nissan. Also I'm generally not a fan of the LRR Tires. Sure they have their place, but NOT on my next truck . they're on my G. Cherokee and are worthless off road.

As a side note . . . a few years ago I was made aware that this Issue can be corrected via 3rd parties - Full Pwr Up/Down conversions . . . at least 1 company in California. By now gotta be others? Cost? Don't recall, but I imagine close to 1K ? Pure speculation on my part, but even so, IF you have the Need / Desire for it, then it IS worth the price of admission !

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
grats on the new truck. I got rid of the 22" wheels/tires and got the 20" limited wheels a few days later. Much better ride. The 22" goodyears are not that good either. Brakes are fine, actually if you want to improve braking performance, youll upgrade the tires as they provide most of the braking power of a vehicle. Whenever my tires die out, I will get Michelin LTX Defenders

Pepper

Reaction score
Here was my Denali 6.2L because it had the corvette motor, bought it to pull 2 Sea Doos. Thing is a slow dog with a child's first tablet as a screen.
1521776020431.jpg

Here is my F-150. Notice the "beefier" all terrain truck tires. No off reading, just dirt lease roads to the rig. 3.6L Twin Turbo smoked the Denali.
FB_IMG_1521774611754.jpg

Here is the F-150 I traded for my Ram, obviously no real comparison.
20191202_100541.jpg

My big truck to play in. Picked her up after having the lift, wheels, tires, headache rack and ranch hand bumpers put on.
20190411_141440.jpg

And finally, the best truck of them all with the best design styling, comfort, luxury, technology, storage and features. And look at those wimpy tires stolen off a Prius. Yes, she needs man size tires.
20191207_130417.jpg

skracus

Reaction score
Do you know if they hooked up their laptop, or did he just reset something from the screen ? Assuming he connected his laptop....I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealer on day three of owning this truck.
I hope this is not the start of a very bad track record.

**UPDATE - after doing more reading on here, I see I need the have the BCM reflashed or reset at the dealer. Going by there today.

I didn't see a laptop but wasn't able to see all that well from the waiting room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/