5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 Software issues?

skracus

Reaction score
Good morning folks,

I'm nearing two weeks into this truck and loving it but... seeing a lot of software bugs and I'm curious if this is across the board or maybe unique to my truck or in some cases maybe just normal behavior that I would prefer done differently. Here's what I'm seeing.

- On one occasion the backup cam would not leave the screen after coming out of reverse. Drove all the way to work with it in the upper half of the screen. When I shut the truck off the top half went blue while the bottom went black. Shutting the truck down, opening the door etc did not fix it but it did correct itself after sitting at work until I got in again to drive home.
- The brights do not auto dim with approaching traffic or from brake lights ahead.
- On three occasions including today the headlights come on with bright sun in the morning, dimming the dash to the point the screens are nearly illegible. Have to roll the dimmer knob up to full brightness.
- Yesterday the dash lights went full bright on their own and the dimmer knob had no affect when trying to dim them back down.
- If I turn the dimmer knob up to full brightness at night it puts the NAV screen in daytime mode which in turn lights up the entire cabin. The dash lights look better to my eyes fully lit at night but I surely don't need or want the NAV screen to become a cabin light. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks for taking the time to read. I appreciate any feedback.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
- On three occasions including today the headlights come on with bright sun in the morning, dimming the dash to the point the screens are nearly illegible. Have to roll the dimmer knob up to full brightness.
- Yesterday the dash lights went full bright on their own and the dimmer knob had no affect when trying to dim them back down.
- If I turn the dimmer knob up to full brightness at night it puts the NAV screen in daytime mode which in turn lights up the entire cabin. The dash lights look better to my eyes fully lit at night but I surely don't need or want the NAV screen to become a cabin light. Is this normal behavior?

I've noticed that if I pass into heavy tree cover, in the daytime, the truck assumes you are either in a tunnel, or it has become night time and turns on the head lights, etc. which then sets your UConnect screen and screen above your steering column to be dark, if that was your prior setting.

There are two knobs there, one controls the ambient light in the cabin, one controls your screen brightness. If you hit one and not the other, you get different results. I found that I didn't like all the ambient light in the cabin, near the passenger's feet, etc. but my wife also thought it was kinda cool to have it, so we settled about 1/2 way on the dial, while driving at night.

If you crank the dial that controls the screen brightness, the UConnect at night, it is super bright. I usually find that I crank it all the way up, then back it off a tick and it works for me. You can also change just the brightness of the UConnect screen, if I remember right, within the settings.

Hope that helps...unless you have a true bug...you may just want to experiment with the dials.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
Mine did the issue you describe with the backup camera tonight for the first time. Touch screen was unresponsive except to change camera views but could not get it off that screen. It did show the comfort touch screen on the bottom card. Nothing would fix even after I pulled over into a parking lot and tried to be soft reset that I read about in another thread. however about 20 minutes into my drive it all of a sudden corrected itself.

skracus

Reaction score
The dealer is flashing my truck on Tuesday of next week. They say everything I describe will be fixed in the flash but I'm suspicious because it was very apparent he wasn't listening as he cut me off after each time I tried to explain each item. We'll see. This is my first experience with this dealer. The buying experience was among the best I've encountered however they are an hour from my house (went there because of the deal they were offering) and there's another dealer 4 miles from the house I could go to.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealer is flashing my truck on Tuesday of next week. They say everything I describe will be fixed in the flash but I'm suspicious because it was very apparent he wasn't listening as he cut me off after each time I tried to explain each item. We'll see. This is my first experience with this dealer. The buying experience was among the best I've encountered however they are an hour from my house (went there because of the deal they were offering) and there's another dealer 4 miles from the house I could go to.

Hi skracus,

Please be sure to keep us updated on how your appointment goes. If our team can be of any additional assistance while your truck is in service, we would be more than happy to help. We are just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Just bought my truck (2020 Limited) yesterday. The auto high beams are not working. I don't see the bi-function headlights moving with the steering either, as they are supposed to. The fog lights do illuminate with steering as designed. Keep me posted please on the firmware update. I also bought my truck an hour away due to availability and price. I plan to use my local dealer for service.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably need to turn the headlight steering on under settings, and then it will work only when above a certain speed. Functionality can be checked by parking in front of a garage door, starting the truck, and watch the headlamps run through their system test when it’s dark out. They will go through an alignment sequence.

Last edited:

skracus

Reaction score
So after taking my truck in today I was told that there were no new updates for my truck and that everything was fine. I said well if that’s the case why are the auto hi beams not functioning? I was met with an odd look. At that point I showed them this forum post which in the end led to the fix. They reconfigured the truck (whatever that entails?) and the auto hi-beams are now working as they should.

In response to a comment above, I have noticed that when turning, the fog light for whichever direction I’m turning comes on but they are so bright I can’t tell if the headlights are actually turning.

Other issues:

- There was no action taken on the reverse camera view getting “stuck” on the screen after coming out of reverse. They were not able to replicate the behavior. It’s only happened twice to me but it’s also happened to a buddy with a new 2019 2500 Power Wagon with the 12” UConnect purchased a week before I purchased my 2020.

- The tech changed the color of my NAV screen map to darken it to which I changed back to default. A blue NAV background just isn’t for me. That doesn’t solve my complaint though which is the NAV screen going into Daytime mode when the dash dimmer switch is set to full on. This may be normal behavior but on a 12” screen it lights the entire cabin. When it’s not fully dark outside and the headlights turn on, the instrument cluster is not lit adequately if the dimmer is set just below the full bright detent position. It seems easy enough to make this a selectable behavior. NAV Daytime mode set to on when instrument cluster brightness set to 100% YES or NO. My preference with this instrument cluster is for it to be lit at 100%

- Showed the tech as we sat in the truck that at one point the instrument cluster and screen went to full brightness and we were unable to affect it with the dimmer switch.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after taking my truck in today I was told that there were no new updates for my truck and that everything was fine. I said well if that’s the case why are the auto hi beams not functioning? I was met with an odd look. At that point I showed them this forum post which in the end led to the fix. They reconfigured the truck (whatever that entails?) and the auto hi-beams are now working as they should.

In response to a comment above, I have noticed that when turning, the fog light for whichever direction I’m turning comes on but they are so bright I can’t tell if the headlights are actually turning.

Other issues:

- There was no action taken on the reverse camera view getting “stuck” on the screen after coming out of reverse. They were not able to replicate the behavior. It’s only happened twice to me but it’s also happened to a buddy with a new 2019 2500 Power Wagon with the 12” UConnect purchased a week before I purchased my 2020.

- The tech changed the color of my NAV screen map to darken it to which I changed back to default. A blue NAV background just isn’t for me. That doesn’t solve my complaint though which is the NAV screen going into Daytime mode when the dash dimmer switch is set to full on. This may be normal behavior but on a 12” screen it lights the entire cabin. When it’s not fully dark outside and the headlights turn on, the instrument cluster is not lit adequately if the dimmer is set just below the full bright detent position. It seems easy enough to make this a selectable behavior. NAV Daytime mode set to on when instrument cluster brightness set to 100% YES or NO. My preference with this instrument cluster is for it to be lit at 100%

- Showed the tech as we sat in the truck that at one point the instrument cluster and screen went to full brightness and we were unable to affect it with the dimmer switch.

Try going into the settings app, select display, take the 12 inch screen off of auto and set it to whatever brightness level you want and see if the dimmer switch controls it then. Otherwise, it is what it is, and you'll learn the best way to cope with it that works for you.

CKSlack

Reaction score

Other issues:

I hope to take delivery in the new few days.... This update you mention.. is this a firmware/software update that is available and is this something only the dealer has access to?

Thanks and best of luck with the new truck

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Probably need to turn the headlight steering on under settings, and then it will work only when above a certain speed. Functionality can be checked by parking in front of a garage door, starting the truck, and watch the headlamps run through their system test when it’s dark out. They will go through an alignment sequence.

I triple checked that the option is selected. Even tried turing off the option, and back on with a restart.
I also noticed that the lights do not perform the test sequence either. (I've had other cars with similar lights so I am aware of that behavior). Something is up.

**UPDATE- just did some more reading on the forum and found a bunch of other folks with similar issues with the headlights....seems I need to head to the dealer for a BCM reflash. Joy.

Last edited:

jfcody3962

Reaction score
All fixed. Reconfigured the BCM, just as you guys said. Mt dealer did push back at first and say "there nothing wrong", then I got "it's running the current version", then I got "there is no option to reconfigure". I showed him this thread, and wala....they fixed it. Pretty sad. But glad it is fixed. Oh...and BTW...apparently my Areo Mode was not working either....my truck auto lowered for the first time today coming home once I reached 60MPH.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
All fixed. Reconfigured the BCM, just as you guys said. Mt dealer did push back at first and say "there nothing wrong", then I got "it's running the current version", then I got "there is no option to reconfigure". I showed him this thread, and wala....they fixed it. Pretty sad. But glad it is fixed. Oh...and BTW...apparently my Areo Mode was not working either....my truck auto lowered for the first time today coming home once I reached 60MPH.
Its sad that FCA can't confirm they have techs that can even do the basics.

My truck's headlights turn on whenever there are some clouds in the sky...dimming the dash and 12.4" screen to the point they're unusable. Ridiculous on a $72000 truck.

jfcody3962

Reaction score
Its sad that FCA can't confirm they have techs that can even do the basics.

My truck's headlights turn on whenever there are some clouds in the sky...dimming the dash and 12.4" screen to the point they're unusable. Ridiculous on a $72000 truck.
yeap, standard behavior. I had a 2015 Ram 3500, did the exact same thing. Get used to rolling that dimmer knob up and down.

skracus

Reaction score
I hope to take delivery in the new few days.... This update you mention.. is this a firmware/software update that is available and is this something only the dealer has access to?

Thanks and best of luck with the new truck

Not an update . They called it "reconfiguration" Sounded like a reset procedure to me but I didn't see what all was involved. After they told me everything was ok and that there were no new updates I showed them this image from another forum member. After seeing this they performed the vehicle reconfiguration. <aybe this will help you as well.
1576174378323.png

EDIT- This was sent to me from another member Mwlapa check out this thread for more info.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2034315&share_tid=2002&url=https://5thgenrams.com/community/index.php?threads/Automatic-high-beams-and-Automatic-rain-wipers..2002/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Last edited:

skracus

Reaction score
Try going into the settings app, select display, take the 12 inch screen off of auto and set it to whatever brightness level you want and see if the dimmer switch controls it then. Otherwise, it is what it is, and you'll learn the best way to cope with it that works for you.

Yeah I've done that and it doesn't get me there unfortunately. It's two issues actually. NAV screen switching to daylight mode (at night) when the dimmer switch is at 100% and the second is related to the light sensor on the dash in front of the defroster vent. After living with this for a few more days I'm noticing that the sensor that detects the ambient light level seems to need a lot of light to turn the headlights off. Certainly far more than my previous trucks. So, when its daylight and the headlights are on (because of this sensor reading low light level), the instrument cluster dims as if its night and it's just too dark. No idea if this is a calibration issue or a faulty sensor. I never had the need to turn any of my previous Ram trucks dimmer switch to 100% so I can't say if the NAV screen went to daytime mode or not. Maybe if Ram Cares sees this post they can chime in? I've combed the manual and haven't been able to find an explanation but I agree, it may just be what it is and I may just have to adjust to it.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. We all have had this issue. It’s habit for me now to reach down and adjust daily

CKSlack

Reaction score
Not an update . They called it "reconfiguration" Sounded like a reset procedure to me but I didn't see what all was involved. After they told me everything was ok and that there were no new updates I showed them this image from another forum member. After seeing this they performed the vehicle reconfiguration. <aybe this will help you as well.
View attachment 41666

EDIT- This was sent to me from another member Mwlapa check out this thread for more info.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2034315&share_tid=2002&url=https://5thgenrams.com/community/index.php?threads/Automatic-high-beams-and-Automatic-rain-wipers..2002/&share_type=t&link_source=app
Thx a ton Skracus… I'll certainly know what to look out for now.

Users who are viewing this thread