5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 ecodiesel with oil leak at passenger side timing cover

Grumpy37

Reaction score
With 8100 miles, I took the truck in for oil change. The dealer called and said they found a small leak at the timing cover. Long story short , they disassembled the cover and parts are a week out.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to hear that parts availability is still the same. When they did mine over a year ago it was a week for parts. The entire cover with seal is easier to get than just the seal by itself.

This continues to be the most common issue I see with these new engines.

myles

Reaction score
had the same leak on mine, I'm now at 61k miles and have a 2nd engine oil leak, looks like its coming from the same area, dealer is pretty slammed right now so I setup an appointment to drop it off next week

Grumpy37

Reaction score
Just got a phone call from the dealer, another week possibly for parts. Would have been nice if they would have checked on parts availability before tearing it apart. It was not leaking that bad. Oil spot size of quarter on garage floor over a month.

oldsouth

Reaction score
I noticed a small leak on my engine right above the alternator. Still under warranty... Is this a hard repair??

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I noticed oil around oil-filler cap/tube even though it was snug tight. Further saw a small area on engine cover - took to dealer and they “wiped it with a rag” - and advised to come back at next oil chabge - which I do at dealers every 7500 miles. No towing - easy highway miles. Really baby the truck - garaged at home and at work.

Truck has 33003 miles. Pictures below - is repair big ? Doe they need to disassemble the engine ?

Any thoughts or suggestions ? I am nearing my 3/36K warranty but this should be covered under power train as well. 2020 Ecodiesel Longhorn.

677f22ce9b4a8767c095a639c271e1a9.jpg

b8902136c14ab3bbc2b6dd3d5798cf49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In a lot of cases they won't warranty it unless it's actually dripping. In both cases (2020 Ram and 2021 Jeep) mine actually made drips off of the oil pan bolts as the oil ran down the engine.

Yes it's a big job. They've got to take off the engine cover, foam blocks, injector rail/lines, injectors, valve covers, etc. just to get down to where they can start working on the cover. Sometimes they run into issues like injectors that are frozen up in the head, etc. It's a real PITA that VM can't figure out how to seal up an engine from the factory. Typical Euro garbage quality.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
2020 RAM Eco-diesel at 42000 Miles - Oil Leak

Guys, looks like my leak is back (or never went away/persisted)

Info about Truck:
2020 RAM Ecodiesel Oil changed at the dealership with Penzoil every 7500 miles or sooner. Fuel Filter changed every 15000 miles or sooner. Air filter changed at 15000 miles.

My first Blackstone Lab oil analysis done recently - the report showed high aluminum: Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 5.41.03 PM.jpg

I am now in Dallas DFW area, any recommendations of a good Service Department here to follow it up with now ?

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The '21 Jeep Gladiator with the Eco diesel that I had leaked just like my Ram did and the people who ended up buying that Jeep texted me last week and said that it caught fire on them merging onto the freeway. They sent me a grainy cell phone video and to me the flame looked like oil on fire.

Users who are viewing this thread