5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 order or wait for 2021?

Stever73

Reaction score
Howdy all, I'm looking for opinions on the value of waiting for ordering to be available for a 2021 rebel or just go ahead and order a 2020 now. I'm told by my dealer 2021 ordering should be available between mid and end July but no good estimate on delivery. I've read typically 8 to 10 weeks for delivery. My main reason to wait is I'm hoping for more color combinations to be available. Specifically, I'm hoping to get the hydro-blue with the ruby leather interior and possibly the black badging. I haven't had any success finding color options for 2021.

Thanks in advance for sharing opinions and any info on 2021 color options and ordering dates, delivery times

STR

Reaction score
This question comes up a lot on all car/truck forums. Buy now, or wait... I too have asked the same question.

Going from one Gen to another, then worth the wait. Within Gen, then buy now... “Generally” any changes within Gen are negligible and you can usually get a better deal, but of course, opinions differ.

brewdad

Reaction score
If you plan to get the bed utility group and multi-function tailgate, wait for 2021 model year to order; the fold down step assist that comes with bed utility group should be available with multi-function tailgate on the 2021 models, but is not available with the 2020 models.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd wait to see what '21 offers. It shouldn't be long. They just announced the '21 Dodge lineup Thursday and you can still order '20s. The TRX and '21 Ram announcement should be soon then you can decide whether to order a late '20 now or wait for '21 orders to open.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I’m hearing, it sounds like all orders from this point might be 2021 models. I’m not sure how accurate it is, but one member heard it from Koons (dealer on this forum). There’s conflicting info as I’ve also heard you can order 2020’s through August.

FTRO

Reaction score
My '20 order on 6/22 was informed it would be made as a '21.
My salesman could go through the ordering screens for a '21 for me to build, but there is still no pricing and he showed the only colors available to him right now was the standard 5 (White, Black, Silver, Red, and I think he said Granite) I asked about special edition packages and colors, but none of that was available to him yet. I am an information junkie, so I passed, with all the unknowns yet to order '21.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You'd probably get a better price on a 2020 if all the things you wanted in a RAM are in a configuration you like.
Rebates and incentives will be better.

Rebates usually suck on a new model year.

orange01z28

Reaction score
Do you get all the rebates and incentives when you order or are you just paying the MSRP since you're not getting rid of inventory for the dealer?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it were a 2020, the dealer would be able to lock-in the current manufacturer rebates/incentives (not the financing offers such as 0% for 84 months), unless of course, the rebates/incentives are better at the time of delivery, then you'd get those (this is at least my experience on the last few special orders my family and I have done). And I'd imagine most dealers would still offer their "dealer discount" even on a special order. Koons and Criswell Ram on this forum offer their discount off of MSRP plus applicable manufacturer rebates/incentives on special orders.

And I'd like to think that dealers would be more inclined to offer discounts on special orders because they know its a sold order and don't have to worry about it taking up space and sitting on their lot. Removing the unknown of how long a vehicle could potentially sit on a lot should be incentive enough. That's at least my logic and way of thinking haha And not to mention if a vehicle sits on a lot for a long period of time (I think it's like 30 days or so), I believe the dealer has to start paying FCA a certain amount.

2021's on the other hand, currently don't have any manufacturer incentives/rebates, and if they were to get them by the time of delivery, they'd probably be pretty small. So you'd primarily be working off of MSRP and any potential dealer discount.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you get all the rebates and incentives when you order or are you just paying the MSRP since you're not getting rid of inventory for the dealer?
You get whatever incentives are in place at the time of delivery. I did this, but my supplier discount (1% below invoice) and the interest rate from my credit union were better than incentives being offered by FCA at the time.

orange01z28

Reaction score
You get whatever incentives are in place at the time of delivery. I did this, but my supplier discount (1% below invoice) and the interest rate from my credit union were better than incentives being offered by FCA at the time.
Thanks

I'm just unfamiliar with the ordering process in general since dealers where I have lived have always made ordering seem like it's something that went away with the muscle cars back in the 60s

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks

I'm just unfamiliar with the ordering process in general since dealers where I have lived have always made ordering seem like it's something that went away with the muscle cars back in the 60s
I got that impression at a local Ford dealer, but they had quite a few trucks on the lot that they were trying to move. I’d look for another dealer ;)

bryan28

Reaction score
You get the incentives from the time of order unless the incentives are better at the time of delivery. You'll get whichever are better at delivery.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Me I’d wait, might as well get a 2021 and see if any of the reported issues have been fixed. Have the newest truck on the road for a day...

brewdad

Reaction score
You get the incentives from the time of order unless the incentives are better at the time of delivery. You'll get whichever are better at delivery.
This is the same at my two local dealerships.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Isn't the headunit going to an Android platform with wireless CarPlay? I'd wait for the 2021 if it was me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’d wait and see what’s in store for the 2021 if it were me.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't the headunit going to an Android platform with wireless CarPlay? I'd wait for the 2021 if it was me.

I’m not sure if Uconnect 5 has been confirmed for the 2021 Ram. The original press release stated the 2021 Pacifica would be the first vehicle to get it this Fall, followed by the redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Ram, but it doesn’t specifically state if it’ll be in the Ram this fall.

ktl5005

Reaction score
So far the only differences on the 2021's will likely be an LED third brake light with camera for the 360 system, and the bed group with MFT and drop down gate, and Uconnect 5 that runs on Android. Maybe they transfer the interior center console with shifter from the TRX over, trailer back up knob, but nothing gigantically is changing. Likely won't be discounted well either upon first release either.

Users who are viewing this thread