5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Laramie with Excessive Orange Peel in Paint

Jims380da

Reaction score
Love everything about my new Crystal Black Laramie other than the paint job. This truck has orange peel like I never saw before. If you stare at it , you would get sea sick... its so wavy. Has anyone experienced this before? I am very picky about my vehicles so it really started bothering me when others without OCD have brought it to my attention. It is that obvious.

One guy who owns a body shop told me entire truck should be wet sanded and polished again. Wouldn't that reduce the amount of clear on truck? Is this something that would be under warranty? It's a 70K truck and my daughters new 22K Subaru has a far better paint job on it.

Anyone with a similar problem, please give me advise. Thanks

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Bighorn has a little but it's not to bad, a lot better then my 2014 was. But yes if you sanded it and polished you will reduce the clearcoat layer which will reduce the life expectancy of the paint job.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Depends on the paint, I historically owned Fords (still a Ford guy) and orange peel comes standard. We use to joke that it was a factory installed option called "3D" textured paint.

Usually the clear coat is so thick that a wet sand and buff is all I needed to get it fixed. I would check with the dealer and see what they think.

Jims380da

Reaction score
Depends on the paint, I historically owned Fords (still a Ford guy) and orange peel comes standard. We use to joke that it was a factory installed option called "3D" textured paint.

Usually the clear coat is so thick that a wet sand and buff is all I needed to get it fixed. I would check with the dealer and see what they think.

Ok thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SACdragger

Reaction score
I’m a painter by trade, and I’ve sanded on many different finishes. Factory paint is not that thick unfortunately, BUT it’s plenty thick enough to withstand a light sanding and buffing, and hold up for years with proper waxing and maintenance. The best way to go about it, would be to sand and reclear the whole finish with a much thicker and quality clear coat, but obviously that’s a way more pricey route to go.

Glenn54

Reaction score
My 2019 Laramie has plenty of orange peal too. I wasn't very happy at first. After looking at a bunch of different brands, they all seem to have it. I'm used to it now.

Jims380da

Reaction score
I washed and detailed truck today for the first time. It's mostly on the sides of the cab. Bed sides don't look as bad. Do you think dealer can put in a warranty claim?

Jims380da

Reaction score
I’m a painter by trade, and I’ve sanded on many different finishes. Factory paint is not that thick unfortunately, BUT it’s plenty thick enough to withstand a light sanding and buffing, and hold up for years with proper waxing and maintenance. The best way to go about it, would be to sand and reclear the whole finish with a much thicker and quality clear coat, but obviously that’s a way more pricey route to go.
Thanks for your input. I lease the truck so I can't go through that expense. I'm hoping dealer can do something.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Get used to the look unless you want to spend upwards of $3k ++ for a PROPER wet sand and polishing. Every modern water based clear looks like this except for Rolls Royce and 1-2 other super luxury brands. I just detailed a customers late 90's Jaguar and was reminded at how nice the older lacquer clears finished.

reggiejp3

Reaction score
my rebel doesn’t have orange peel but I can almost see it needs another coat of paint. Seems lime it barely covered and paint is real rough al ost Like a 100k mile truck that needs a good clay baring. Not real happy with the paint.

agjr85

Reaction score
You'll basically have them (detailer/paintshop) level out the clear.
If you plan on cutting/polishing often then it will eventually get really thing.

You could probably have it done once and ceramic coated and not have to cut clearcoat for years.

Rebel3326

Reaction score
My rebel had orange peel and lil bubbles all over it... dealer sent me to body shop which subbed it out to a detailer...2 step paint correction and 5 year ceramic coating. Looks waaaaay better than it did.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191119-043935_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191119-043935_Gallery.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20191119-043920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191119-043920_Gallery.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 74

NHjake98

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel in Granite Crystal and yeah, I am OCD about my trucks too and I have the same orange peel that everyone else has mentioned. I have to say, I have thought about taking it in and having it wet sanded but I keep telling myself to let it go. It is disappointing though on a $60K plus vehicle.

Rebel3326

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel in Granite Crystal and yeah, I am OCD about my trucks too and I have the same orange peel that everyone else has mentioned. I have to say, I have thought about taking it in and having it wet sanded but I keep telling myself to let it go. It is disappointing though on a $60K plus vehicle.
The 2 step paint correction should fix it... definitely made my granite crystal metallic rebel look 100 times better, and dealer paid for it. 20191025_103912.jpg 20191025_103902.jpg 20191023_092716.jpg 20191020_145927.jpg

WasatchBack

Reaction score
There is still orange peel in that post detailed picture, same as all our trucks. Its 100% normal on modern water based clears in $30k or $230k vehicles. You can easily see it on the passenger front quarter where the grey meets the reflection of the white house pillar. Paint correction does nothing to even slightly reduce orange peel. Only extensive wetsanding then a correction will eliminate that.

Users who are viewing this thread