5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Laramie with air suspension

sporteus

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie is on a train somewhere between Sterling Heights and NY (escaped manufacturing 2 days before closing!). So, as I sit here in isolation awaiting its arrival and worrying about how I'll be able to physically receive it if all non-essential businesses are "closed"....I start shopping to stuff for the truck I don't have yet because I need a fix! (Is it too late to order it with a hermetically sealed cab and a HEPA filter?)

I have a couple of questions I haven't found direct answers to. Hoping you can help point me in the right direction.
  1. I will be buying a new adjustable ball mount. With the air suspension and it being a 4x4, how much adjustment do I practically need on the hitch height? I know it will depend on the trailer(s) being towed, but in general is 3.5, 4.5, or 7.5" enough to compensate for most situations?
    1. I'm not clear on how much adjustment the air suspension actually gives. I think it's +/- 2" from "normal", but maybe someone can correct me on this.
    2. I'm also presuming the OEM receiver is 2" as I haven't read otherwise. Please correct me if this is a bad assumption.
  2. Towing capacity. (not trying to start a new thread on this topic) With this thing loaded, I expect lower than max towing capacity. You can't change the laws of physics.
    1. If I go into the Ram site towing capacity by VIN, it tells me a max payload of 1,150 lbs and max towing of 11,050 lbs, which I don't buy.
      1. The mopar owner site shows me the same.
    2. If I go into the Ram site by vehicle type (look up my vehicle), it won't let me select the right transmission (8HP75) and 4x4, but with the older transmission (8HP7) and 4x4 it shows me 1,770/8,120 lbs for the capacities.
    3. If I go into the Ram site by vehicle type at the bottom of that page that allows me to be more specific with the configuration, it shows me 1,770/11,220 lbs for capacities
    4. Is my only source of truth for these specs the sticker on the truck when it arrives? I'm having a hard time understanding why this information is not crystal clear and consistent on the Ram sites. Seems like a set of core facts that have to be accurate in the truck market. Just saying.
  3. I only have my little 16' bass boat right now, but expect to be looking at larger travel trailers in the next couple years (part of my reason of buying the truck). Should I be looking at the weight distribution hitches now so I only buy once for the truck, or do I cross that bridge when I get there?

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
The air ride on my limited allows for approx 4 inches of up and down. With that said I’ve found you should only lower the truck to entry/exit and then raise into the hitch to normal, after which I then fully lower the weight of my trailer onto the ball and let the truck auto level.

the air ride selections for loading a trailer are really only to help ‘couple’ the trailer to the truck. I’ve gotten error messages when trying to fully load my trailer onto the truck in the higher settings.

yes it’s a 2” receiver, I have a 2 5/16” ball on a 2” drop and it works for most situations. My travel trailer is a different setup all together as it’s a WD hitch.

as far as the capacities of the truck I would go with the ram site. There are a few threads on here with links to the capacities of the trucks. I seem to remember there might be some printed materiel that comes with the truck or in the manual.

hope that helps A little.

NJC1684

Reaction score
I would hold off on the WDH until you actually need it. Between the cost & weight of the ball mount it's not worth it.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I go into the Ram site towing capacity by VIN, it tells me a max payload of 1,150 lbs and max towing of 11,050 lbs, which I don't buy.
The VIN lookup will be the most accurate for your specific truck, as optioned. Based on the options you have listed, you have a very heavy truck. The weight of each option reduces your remaining available payload. I believe the 1150 payload will be what shows on your payload sticker on the drivers door jamb.

sporteus

Reaction score
I agree on the 1,150/11,050 numbers being the right ones for my config. Sigh, I better drop some pounds before I buy that 30' travel trailer!! LOL! I'm cutting into my own load capacity!

Anyone have a similarly configured Ram 1500 as mine below that can give me a height measurement to the top of the receiver? I don't know how much the 4x4, off-road group, air suspension, and wheel sizes impact the height of the receiver. I'm assuming a 6" adjustable ball mount will meet any need I can foresee including small utility trailers, but I don't want to order one only to find out I only really need 4" or needed 8".

sporteus

Reaction score
So, my truck magically appeared at the dealer today, got a call this morning. Not sure how or why, since all the trucking contracts were cancelled, but whatever its here.

In case anyone is wondering, the receiver height (top of opening) on this configuration is 20.5". My bass boat trailer is at 14.5", so easy math, 6" drop! Drop hitch ordered. That was easy!

Users who are viewing this thread