5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 eTorque problems?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of threads on eTorque and problems in 2019 models, even at under 1000 miles. How are the 2020s? Are they still failing at high rates?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of threads on eTorque and problems in 2019 models, even at under 1000 miles. How are the 2020s? Are they still failing at high rates?
I have a 19 with a march 2019 Build date. Truck has 3400 miles no problems with mine that I know of. I will say the gas mileage is not what they say it will get on the highway. Best I’ve gotten is 17 that’s driving it like a old man. I have gotten 17-19 in town, driving very good! I have the 3:92 gears, but it is rated at 17-22. Good luck in whatever u decide

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 with August 2018 build date, no etorque problems over 20K now.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had my '20 eTorque for about 2 months and 1200 miles. No problems at all other than the lower than expected MPG as Bluestreak said already. I think a 'high failure rate' is misleading. How many Ram owners are actually active on this (or any) forum? Probably a small percentage of all Ram owners. Many times people only seek out a forum when they have a problem and are looking for advice or others with similar issues. Therefore forums make it seem that nearly everyone has all the same problems. Buy and enjoy. If there's a problem, you have a warranty.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Have 11k on my 20 no issues getting anywhere from 17-20 MPG. Been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rotts4u

Reaction score
I have a June 19 Build Date Torque with 4wd 3.92 and 4 door. I can easily get 20 mpg on interstate at the speed limit and 18-19 mpg in mixed driving. I have only 3500 miles so far but no problems on mine yet

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is a 2019 and was built September 2018. Almost 23,000 flawless miles. No problems whatsoever. I get 18-20 MPG combined and 20-23 easily on the highway with cruise control going 70-80mph.
This is the only car that i actually like to stop at lights with lol... I'm actually excited every time i get to a light and i have to stop and wait for a minute, just so i can see the eTorque system in action, shutting off and starting the engine back up. They did an amazing job with this system and it's smoothness. Even after more than 20K miles, I'm still impressed with it.

For the guys that are complaining about the bad MPG, seems like you have low mileage. I started to get good fuel efficiency after around 10K miles.. Give it a few more months and it'll get better.

Last edited:

Scrambler

Reaction score
I agree with a previous poster that the forum is a place to vent when you have a truck with issues or a bad dealer experience. I'm perfectly happy with mine and would absolutely buy another. Note that I traded a 2017 Silverado in for mine and the difference is night and day.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Very few eTorque issues/failures reported here while I’ve been a member. And I joined in early 2018.

No issues to report with eTorque on my 2019, either.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Sheesh, boring thread. Where’s all the “ET blew up my truck“ or “my truck has been at the dealer waiting for a battery or generator for 6 weeks” posts?

Not to make light of a few, very few people who had the bad luck to have supply chain parts issues (it happened) however like anything else, fixes are being made during the 2020 season assembly and the supply pipeline for parts (until recently) has been catching up.

My 2015 F150 had “start-stop” so ET is hardly totally new tech, yeah the 48v system is newer however a lot of the basic idea wasn’t. Course I also had a Prius for 6 years, that was a lot more radical of an engineering accomplishment yet Toy pulled it off just fine.

Thats my opinion, I’m relatively sure someone will disagree, always happens.
Ford's start-stop "system" is only a more robust starter and a compatible battery. Don't compare it to the ET.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The etorque basic design system has been around for some time. Incorporate in a truck- that is a first.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ford's start-stop "system" is only a more robust starter and a compatible battery. Don't compare it to the ET.
No direct comparison was made, its a portion of the system thats all I was saying. Perhaps I should have been more clear. The point is that start-stop, hybrid technology has been around for awhile. Even GM tried to market a semi-hybrid truck/suv back in 2004:
Taken from autotrader.com, January 2017:
Begin copied portion of article
“As it turns out, GM's first hybrid vehicle actually came a little earlier: the 2004 Chevy Silverado Hybrid. Like its Tahoe cousin, the Silverado Hybrid was a bit of a head scratcher -- but for some shoppers, it made a lot of sense.
First off, the Silverado Hybrid was much different from standard hybrids like the Prius or Chevy's later Tahoe Hybrid. Instead of offering a traditional hybrid powertrain, like those of the Prius or Honda Insight, the Silverado Hybrid was a "mild hybrid." The truck's electric motor was located in the transmission flywheel housing, and it was only used to crank the engine, charge the battery and provide auxillary power. This electric motor was fed by four 12-volt automotive batteries, and it allowed the truck to cut the engine when it came to a stop. It also provided enough power to allow Chevy to put four 120-volt outlets on the truck, with two in the bed and two in the cab.

This may not sound like it made much difference, but it was actually pretty brilliant. The extra battery reserve allowed the truck to sit idle without the engine running for long periods of time. Considering the Silverado's popularity in the construction industry -- an industry where trucks often are left running for a while as drivers use the accessories -- the Silverado Hybrid's extra batteries helped save a lot of gas in certain applications. Furthermore, the four outlets were perfect for power tools like air compressors and saws, which require 120-volt outlets to run -- especially in the early stages of construction projects, when power connections may be spotty.”
End of copied article

A Wiki article About the “hybrid 1500” says in part:
Hybrid[edit]
“GM launched a hybrid version of the Silverado/Sierra in 2004, becoming the first ever GM hybrid passenger vehicle. Known within GM as the Parallel Hybrid Truck or PHT it is not actually a parallel hybrid by the current definition, but a type of micro hybrid design. The electric motor housed within the transmission flywheel housing, serves only to provide engine cranking/starting, battery charging, and powering accessories. The engine automatically shuts down as the truck comes to a stop and uses 42 Volt electric power to the starter/generator unit to restart the engine as the brake pedal is released. Besides the typical 12 V automotive battery the PHT uses three additional 14 V valve regulated lead acid (VRLA) batteries mounted under the rear seat to store and provide power. The truck uses a 5.3 L Vortec 5300 V8 for primary propulsion power.”
End of copied portion of article

So all I am saying is the basic electric-assist concept is not new. For GM to have tried it 16 years ago shows that the information/idea has been around, but mostly shelved, for a long time. While I applaud RAM for having fielded an up-to-date system, I’m no RAM apologist when it comes to other companies having made a hybrid-like system for a large suv/truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toothninja

Reaction score
2020 with 8k miles here. No problems, but I turn it off usually. It gets hot in Texas and I like the ac to stay on at stop lights!!

JayBuck603

Reaction score
Thought I might chime in on this thread after doing some looking around. My etorque motor/generator just failed at 10,800 miles. My battery light came on while I was driving to work, I called and scheduled service on my way in and on my way home the truck died in traffic. The dealer had it back to me in a couple of days after replacing the unit as well as the battery. One thing I remembered is that the day I went to drive and ended up buying the truck back in July they had to put a new battery in it, a new battery in a truck with 27 miles on it.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thought I might chime in on this thread after doing some looking around. My etorque motor/generator just failed at 10,800 miles. My battery light came on while I was driving to work, I called and scheduled service on my way in and on my way home the truck died in traffic. The dealer had it back to me in a couple of days after replacing the unit as well as the battery. One thing I remembered is that the day I went to drive and ended up buying the truck back in July they had to put a new battery in it, a new battery in a truck with 27 miles on it.
Changing the battery on the day of the delivery is pretty normal. some times the trucks seats there for over a month, the battery dies and you better off replacing it with a new one. Mine was replaced on delivery too.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for that to happen. Just like your phone. All hybrid batteries, of what ever type system have a memory cycle drained to full charge. If it’s not used for a period of time. Especially if it brand new, there will be no memory of that.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats one thing I’ve never heard of, changing the 12v starter battery at delivery. I’ve seen the big jump chargers used on the lot, and even test drove a 19’ Pacifica that had to be jumped to get it to start. But replace the battery, that’s news to me. Guess it has to happen sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread