5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ecodiesel intake

Rebel20

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now. 6 weeks ago I placed an order for a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 with the 3.0 ecodiesel. Still have likely at least 5 or so weeks to go before it is built but I have already begun purchasing some mods to install once she comes such as a pedal commander and LED grille lights. My question is regarding the air intake on the ecodiesel. I know there is no intake setup out there that is going to make the ecodiesel some monster or provide some insane performance gains. My main desire is to get some additional turbo/diesel sound out of the ecodiesel motor. I have seen the T&S Speed intake tube. I researched cold air intakes and the only one I could find for the 2020 ram 1500 with the ecodiesel is the S&B cold air intake. Does anyone have experience with this intake? Would using the entire intake provide more sound/performance vs using the intake pipe with the stock intake box? Are there any other intake setups which would be better for what I am looking for? Any help and insight is greatly appreciated.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the T&S Speed Shop intake pipe. It provided very minimal turbo sound increases. It did feel a slight bit stronger but that could be psychological, I don't know. Just sure did feel slightly stronger first time I drove it after installation. But no, the turbo noise isn't super loud.

After examining the intake system on these trucks, I don't see how a full "cold air intake" kit could possibly flow more than the stock airbox with the T&S pipe. There's a snorkel from the airbox to the grille so that it's pulling true cold air, and if you remove that little snorkel you can visually see the air filter. It's every bit as open as any aftermarket kit will be, and running an open filter is a bad idea.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now. 6 weeks ago I placed an order for a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 with the 3.0 ecodiesel. Still have likely at least 5 or so weeks to go before it is built but I have already begun purchasing some mods to install once she comes such as a pedal commander and LED grille lights. My question is regarding the air intake on the ecodiesel. I know there is no intake setup out there that is going to make the ecodiesel some monster or provide some insane performance gains. My main desire is to get some additional turbo/diesel sound out of the ecodiesel motor. I have seen the T&S Speed intake tube. I researched cold air intakes and the only one I could find for the 2020 ram 1500 with the ecodiesel is the S&B cold air intake. Does anyone have experience with this intake? Would using the entire intake provide more sound/performance vs using the intake pipe with the stock intake box? Are there any other intake setups which would be better for what I am looking for? Any help and insight is greatly appreciated.
Have a link to this S&B intake?

Rebel20

Reaction score
When I look it up they offer it for the classic body style, the intake tube is different than ours.
Ah makes sense. looks like the T&S pipe is the only option for now then. Is it even worth it as far as sound gains or is that money best spent elsewhere?

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Ah makes sense. looks like the T&S pipe is the only option for now then. Is it even worth it as far as sound gains or is that money best spent elsewhere?
I ordered one and its sitting at the house, it was delivered the day after I left for tx for work, once I get home I plan on installing it, so I can answer your question then.
But others have installed it I hope they post their experiences with it soon.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered one and its sitting at the house, it was delivered the day after I left for tx for work, once I get home I plan on installing it, so I can answer your question then.
But others have installed it I hope they post their experiences with it soon.

Post #2

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running this pipe now for a few months with no issues. I think I pretty much covered everything else in post #2. It gives a slight bit more turbo sound but not a lot. I recently threw my factory intake pipe back on for a dealership warranty repair, and as I was driving the truck to the dealer I didn't feel or hear much difference at all. It's very minimal in gains, but there is a slight bit of gain. Would I buy it all over again? I'm 50/50 on that. I'd have to think about it.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For zero dollars you can remove the insulation from under the engine cover and remove the sound baffle from the oval intake pipe.

Burner1352

Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the sound baffle? I can remember back when I 1st got my diesel Grand Cherokee that there was a kidney shaped baffle in there to remove. Well after trying to find it, turns out jeep stopped using that item. So if I have an idea what it looks like then I have a better idea what to remove. Thanks for the info.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have a pic of the sound baffle? I can remember back when I 1st got my diesel Grand Cherokee that there was a kidney shaped baffle in there to remove. Well after trying to find it, turns out jeep stopped using that item. So if I have an idea what it looks like then I have a better idea what to remove. Thanks for the info.
No, and actually these actions were common on the Gen 2 Ram engine. I really don't know if the Gen 3 has the silencer buy I would imagine it does and in the Gen 2 it was located inside the oval tubing from the air intake.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do a search on YouTube for 2020 EcoDiesel intake. There's a video on the T&S pipe. It'll do everything the future full blown kits will do for a fraction of the money.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ecodiesel has a turbo. No intake is going to make it better unless you slap a different forced induction system onto it. At that point, just buy a TRX. If you need to waste money, do it with weight savings. Take your spare off and leave it at home and replace the AGM battery with a Lithium. 200lbs of weight shaved off is ~ 10hp net gain equivalent in HP/Weight ratio, better than you'll ever get with any intake.

Users who are viewing this thread