5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ecodiesel Engine Oil performance & Breakdown

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ED LH - I am planning to stick to dealer for my oil changes, for warranty purposes. However, I found a stash of Penzoil Platinum with printed MS12991 on its back so I loaded up 4 oil changes worth of oil in my truck as well. I am planning to stick to 7500/oil change, with initial 4-5 oil changes done at dealer.

They dont make Trucks like they used to - prior diesels were bullet-proof in terms of reliability etc. Yes the emissions/exhaust have killed the motors, but we are in 2020 - the manufacturers NEED to step-up with reliability and until they do, they need to stop giving grief to customers for crappy reliability.

Anyways -- So my first oil change at the dealer was around 8500 miles. As soon as I took off from dealer after the oil change, I noticed a much smoother and more responsive motor ! My truck is all stock - use diesel at wholesale club pump with EDT at performance dose.

Fast forward, 4000 miles later, the dealer decided to send a "Free First Oil Change" offer, and wont extend it any further. Well it was free oil change and they were not extending it any further, so in I went at 12000 miles . Now this time, I only had 4000 miles on the oil, but man - the truck drove again with a huge difference after the oil-change. More smoother, responsive and quieter engine !

==> Does this mean that Penzoil Euro 5W40 MS129991 breaksdown faster than the recommended 10000 miles ?

I plan to send my oil for analysis at next oil change, since I have now noticed the difference on two instances. I would rather do frequent oil changes, to keep motor healthy - but frankly it gets pricey for Diesel oil changes every 5000 miles - and going back to the initial opening rant - its a God Damn Truck !

Thoughts ?

Arth

Reaction score
I have a 2020 ED LH - I am planning to stick to dealer for my oil changes, for warranty purposes. However, I found a stash of Penzoil Platinum with printed MS12991 on its back so I loaded up 4 oil changes worth of oil in my truck as well. I am planning to stick to 7500/oil change, with initial 4-5 oil changes done at dealer.

They dont make Trucks like they used to - prior diesels were bullet-proof in terms of reliability etc. Yes the emissions/exhaust have killed the motors, but we are in 2020 - the manufacturers NEED to step-up with reliability and until they do, they need to stop giving grief to customers for crappy reliability.

Anyways -- So my first oil change at the dealer was around 8500 miles. As soon as I took off from dealer after the oil change, I noticed a much smoother and more responsive motor ! My truck is all stock - use diesel at wholesale club pump with EDT at performance dose.

Fast forward, 4000 miles later, the dealer decided to send a "Free First Oil Change" offer, and wont extend it any further. Well it was free oil change and they were not extending it any further, so in I went at 12000 miles . Now this time, I only had 4000 miles on the oil, but man - the truck drove again with a huge difference after the oil-change. More smoother, responsive and quieter engine !

==> Does this mean that Penzoil Euro 5W40 MS129991 breaksdown faster than the recommended 10000 miles ?

I plan to send my oil for analysis at next oil change, since I have now noticed the difference on two instances. I would rather do frequent oil changes, to keep motor healthy - but frankly it gets pricey for Diesel oil changes every 5000 miles - and going back to the initial opening rant - its a God Damn Truck !

Thoughts ?

I have no evidence or anything to back this up myself but I would say that getting the oil changed you are removing the old dirty oil that has soot in it and replacing with clean oil. I don't think that engine could be running better from this but it is helping to keep that engine running longer with fresh clean soot free oil back in the crank.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They could be resetting the oil life monitor by pushing the gas pedal 3 times, this also does a re-learn of the throttle pedal position.

you can also do this yourself by putting the truck to run with the engine off and slowly pressing the throttle all the way just once and it will not reset oil life, this made a noticeable difference for me for a few thousand km.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The factory fill oil had a high TBN number at 4,200 miles when I changed mine, so it should go the full 8,000 easily. I assume Pennzoil was the factory fill. Can't confirm that.

I haven't used Pennzoil since then. There are other oils that are equal or better for less money.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think a lot of it could just me mental. Like WXman said his oil showed tons of life left and that was the factory fill which should break down quicker due to break in.

I did my first oil change around 4,000km and just did my second at 14,000km. From this point on I'm confident going by the oil life monitor.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most diesel engines suffer more from fuel dilution, diesel leaking into the oil, than from the oil breaking down or aging. Ultra low sulfur diesel is not a lubricant. It has extremely poor lubricity. Mix in a few thousand miles of soot buildup and yeah. Most diesel oils rely on minerals to reduce wear.

Rotella T6 which is the gold standard for diesel engines relies on equal levels of calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc.

The oils with ms-12991 tend to be worse performing oils on wear tests as they have very high calcium levels and low magnesium levels. This is very clear in an oil analysis with much higher Iron and Copper levels present in many many oil samples sent into the lab that are now available to compare.

FCA is willing to let you damage the engine to save a emissions warranty claim by pushing their marketing ms-12991 BS.

Rossum

Reaction score
Does the "oil life monitor" do anything more than count to 10,000 miles?

I only have ~700 miles on my truck, but I've noticed that the oil life monitor drops 1% every 100 miles.

I know many European cars actually calculate soot and thermal loads based on how the vehicle is driven,

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I only have ~700 miles on my truck, but I've noticed that the oil life monitor drops 1% every 100 miles.

I know many European cars actually calculate soot and thermal loads based on how the vehicle is driven,

Yes, mine doesn't go anywhere close to 10,000 miles, which is good because the manual says 10K is a MAX you can go for warranty and not a recommended interval.

I only had 45% remaining at 4,200 miles when I did my first oil change to get break in metals out. I'm at 8,800 miles now and back down to 48%.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I believe it takes it account driving conditions, idle time, etc.

Reaction score
The oils with ms-12991 tend to be worse performing oils on wear tests as they have very high calcium levels and low magnesium levels. This is very clear in an oil analysis with much higher Iron and Copper levels present in many many oil samples sent into the lab that are now available to compare.
Yes, also MS-12991 oils are mid-to-high SAPS, which is going to clog your DPF sooner. That's why I'm running a low-SAPS oil with diesel certification and getting an oil analysis with each oil change to cover my *** with the warranty.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, also MS-12991 oils are mid-to-high SAPS, which is going to clog your DPF sooner. That's why I'm running a low-SAPS oil with diesel certification and getting an oil analysis with each oil change to cover my *** with the warranty.

All the MS-12991 oils I've looked up the spec sheets for show them from 0.9 to 1.1 on the SAPS, which technically makes them a low SAPS formulation. The consensus is that this is why they changed the spec for the Gen 3 engine. "Diesel" oils like Rotella and others are equal or higher with SAPS levels.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not using the recommended oil will surely void your warranty. But it's your truck, go ahead.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not using the recommended oil will surely void your warranty. But it's your truck, go ahead.
yeah again use what is in the manual that came with your truck. don't listen to random people on the internet or a dealer or anyone unless you receive an official recall notice and replacement manual. FCA had to do a stop sale and recall for the 4th gen ED's and it seems they still haven't learned.

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
yeah again use what is in the manual that came with your truck. don't listen to random people on the internet or a dealer or anyone unless you receive an official recall notice and replacement manual. FCA had to do a stop sale and recall for the 4th gen ED's and it seems they still haven't learned.
2020 is 3rd gen ED - where did you get 4th gen stop sale ?

But then its FCA - they can very well have 4th

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 is 3rd gen ED - where did you get 4th gen stop sale ?

But then its FCA - they can very well have 4th
I meant 4th gen RAM. look up TSB 18-078-16. FCA did the same thing picking crap oils. Started replacing engines left and right and finally broke down and put a stop sale on all ecodiesel engine trucks and a recall for everyone else to move to rotella t6 5w-40, from 5w30 ( Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 was the recomended oil )

Users who are viewing this thread