5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 5.7 eTorque Knocking

RSVDon

Reaction score
Oh boy....this shouldn't be my first post, but unfortunately it is.

Been lurking for years since buying a 2020 1500 Big Horn Night w/ 5.7 eTorque. I'm absolutely in love with this truck, the way it looks, the way it rides. It's been great.

This morning, like the flick of a switch, now I'm worried the lifters/cam are toast. Cold started at 7 am to take my kid to the bus. Truck was fine. Got back home and shut it off for an hour and a half. When I get back in to go to work, I start the truck to this knocking.

Symptoms:
- Loud knock from Bank 1 (louder than the normal tick it's always had)
- Flashing MIL (misfire)
- Solid MIL
- Shaking at idle, worse at elevated idle
- ESS disabled message (misfire DTC)

Truck has 31k miles, all service has always been done at my local RAM dealer at earlier than regular intervals, and the truck is bone stock. It's never even seen a damn trailer!

What say ye, forum? Have I lost a lifter, have one that won't pump? Lifter twisted in the bore?

Had it towed out of my driveway to the dealer via roadside. Of course they say nobody is available to check it for three days, and they won't do a loaner for my engine knocking truck until it's diagnosed and parts are ordered. It's okay, not like this isn't my only mode of transportation or anything..."But we have a deal with our local Enterprise, you can get a discount of $47/day!" JFC...

frisby5

Reaction score
That sucks , at least its under warranty !
Sounds like a lifter .

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would get that repaired under warranty, drive it for a week to confirm it's fixed, then switch to 5W30 synthetic and never let the dealership touch it again.

Mine ticked like hell for the first 5,000 miles and has been as quiet as a mouse ever since because I drained the factory fill water oil and started doing my own maintenance with a good 30 weight synthetic. Coming up on 12,000 miles now and it's still dead silent even on cold startup in winter.

RSVDon

Reaction score
Issue: Cyl 3 collapsed lifter

Tech inspected the cam lobes and confirmed they looked good. No debris on cam phaser screen.

Fix: Replaced intake and exhaust lifters on Cyl 3, replaced associated gaskets, changed oil and filter

Seems to be quiet for now.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would get that repaired under warranty, drive it for a week to confirm it's fixed, then switch to 5W30 synthetic and never let the dealership touch it again.

Mine ticked like hell for the first 5,000 miles and has been as quiet as a mouse ever since because I drained the factory fill water oil and started doing my own maintenance with a good 30 weight synthetic. Coming up on 12,000 miles now and it's still dead silent even on cold startup in winter.

His issue was a collapsed lifter on his #3 cylinder. The ticking sound you heard likely isn't related if it went away with just an oil change from 20W to 30W.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/