5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 1500 no Crank

b102

Reaction score
Anyone ever have trouble with 2020 1500 bighorn not turning over? All power and everything comes up fine, no messages, just a click and no crank. New battery, and once in a while it will start and work fine for a day or so then it will be back to no crank. There was a cluck the last time it started, almost immediatelty after or when the starter was disengaging. Dealer won't do anything but continue to start it dozens of times trying to get a code.

Bob.

Reaction score
In the old days I would flip the headlights to see if the lights dim when trying to start it. That would give you a hint if the starter or battery needs attention. If the lights don't dim, check all the switches. Lastly hit the starter with a hammer to see if the starter itself is bad.
The dealers sometimes are not experienced in old school trouble shooting.
If it's a mechanical problem a computer code might not set.
They should make sure all the grounds are clean and tight too, plus all the hot cables are tight before testing the switches...but in 2022 I would tell you to try your other fob first. Then put new batteries in. Before going old school troubleshooting

ronmac7609

Reaction score
My 2019 1500 is doing it. Tried a new battery. Dealer couldn’t find any issues. Was there twice. Last week they had it for 4 days and it wouldn’t do it. Just did it this morning again. Won’t start by fob or button. Very random. 5 times over the last 3-4 weeks. They said they checked “everything”. Cables, the alternator and starter but not sure I believe them.

Snekpete

Reaction score
In the old days this was known as a dead spot on the starter. An area where two or more of the commutator bars were shorted out. Rotating the armature even a small amount would get it past the dead spot and the starter would work fine for a while until it randomly rested back at the dead spot. With these new trucks there is an awful lot more that can go wrong though.

An easy way to check the starter motor is to run a jumper cable directly to the positive terminal on the starter, if its good it will crank. On these trucks I would definitely disconnect the starter connections first. Ahh, the good old days of hot wires and starter solenoids.

Reactions: c3k

Bob.

Reaction score
My 2019 1500 is doing it. Tried a new battery. Dealer couldn’t find any issues. Was there twice. Last week they had it for 4 days and it wouldn’t do it. Just did it this morning again. Won’t start by fob or button. Very random. 5 times over the last 3-4 weeks. They said they checked “everything”. Cables, the alternator and starter but not sure I believe them.
How many miles on it? Does it have start stop tech on your truck?

ronmac7609

Reaction score
How many miles on it? Does it have start stop tech on your truck?
2019. It’s has the button to start yes. It does not start/stop to save gas though if that’s what you mean.

Bob.

Reaction score
2019. It’s has the button to start yes. It does not start/stop to save gas though if that’s what you mean.
Yes that is what I was asking. If you have a zillion starts on the starter, I was leaning on a bad starter motor. They get dead spots on the windings so years ago striking the starter motor with a hammer would get the armature to move giving it a contact to energize. Do you hear a click as you hit the start button? Or it’s totally dead?

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Click. It was towed to the dealer last night. Luckily it didn't start for them either. They ordered a starter to replace it.

DW1500

Reaction score
Anyone ever have trouble with 2020 1500 bighorn not turning over? All power and everything comes up fine, no messages, just a click and no crank. New battery, and once in a while it will start and work fine for a day or so then it will be back to no crank. There was a cluck the last time it started, almost immediatelty after or when the starter was disengaging. Dealer won't do anything but continue to start it dozens of times trying to get a code.
March 22, Minie just did this. check engine light coame on, then the remot start woudl turn over and then shut off right away. Then same thing. Everyhing on but would not turn over. At the dealer right now, they claim bad battery and starter - replacing both. Not sure about anything else. hopefully that it?
How did yours play out?

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Mine has been fine since starter was replaced 2 weeks ago but now the check engine light just came on today 🙄

Bcryan

Reaction score
Same thing with my truck at 24,000 miles. Dead battery and bad starter. They tried to blame it on the power steps that I had installed..they same ones they install in their custom shop…installed the exact same way. It has been just over two weeks now that they have had my truck

b102

Reaction score
Yes, it turned out to be the starter. Ram knows about the problem but it took them forever to get it to occur at the dealership. It was intermittant. Almost a month of back and forth with loaners and rentals but after it happened at the dealership they could use my extended warranty I bought to pay for the replacement. Then they had an issue getting a replacement and had to go directly to the manufacturer because low supplies. Best of luck.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im going through this as of today went to go to work this morn nothing but a click, lights and dash all up, took wifes car to work when i got home throught the battery charger on for 15min truck startrd up let run for 5
min, took battery out figuring
it was the battery even though i just replaced it w a napa legend in decemebr, went to napa w it in wifes suv, guu threw
it on the chargee said its fully chargerd
i said yea thats bc i had a charger on it for 15
min & and ran my truck, guy says its fully chardgd
i cant prorate
you a new one sir, ok i took batt back home
re-installed it took all of 10min and truck strartd
up fine, let run for 15 at 5pm just went out to start her up to move to my 2nd driveway, nothing but a click...im lost..im betting its the starter, 2019 bighorn CC 5.7 non-etrqe 61k time to puuuuuke, im thinkn starter which i will do myself but come-on Ram i didnt
spent 58k for this

Bob.

Reaction score
im going through this as of today went to go to work this morn nothing but a click, lights and dash all up, took wifes car to work when i got home throught the battery charger on for 15min truck startrd up let run for 5
it was the battery even though i just replaced it w a napa legend in decemebr, went to napa w it in wifes suv, guu threw
i cant prorate
up fine, let run for 15 at 5pm just went out to start her up to move to my 2nd driveway, nothing but a click...im lost..im betting its the starter, 2019 bighorn CC 5.7 non-etrqe 61k time to puuuuuke, im thinkn starter which i will do myself but come-on Ram i didnt
spent 58k for this
If it's the starter, Take a hammer and tap it if you have no crank. (worked 40 years ago as a kid to get home from the drive in) The tapping wiggles the contact point and if it starts after a good wack with the hammer, just proves the starter is shot.

Jessed927

Reaction score
i cant prorate
spent 58k for this
Did it end up being the starter I’m having the same issues .. only thing that is happening differently is when I click the remote to remote start the lights flash once instead of twice but it will not turn over at all

raygun9

Reaction score
Did it end up being the starter I’m having the same issues .. only thing that is happening differently is when I click the remote to remote start the lights flash once instead of twice but it will not turn over at all
This is what just happened to mine last night... would just click when I tried manually, if I tried with remote start the lights would only flash once. Called a tow truck by the time it got there the truck started. I drove it home and have let it sit and tried starting it again a few times now (5 or so) and it fires right up. Had a load test on the battery and there were no issues... going into the shop Tuesday but I'm betting its the starter.

redmyst

Reaction score
Mine starting doing this last night.. just click and nothing.. after a few tries it will start though.. took the wife's car for now but will keep a hammer handy to test if it's the starter next time

Users who are viewing this thread