5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Trailer Hitch

Captain

Reaction score
Has anyone out there replaced their Factory Trailer Hitch with a Aftermarket Trailer Hitch on a 2019 Dodge Ram ?

Captain

Reaction score
I contacted Draw-Tite today and this is the part # : 41913 .... for $270.00.
This trailer hitch replaces the entire Factory Trailer Hitch.

Captain

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, why are you replacing the factory hitch?

Hi snowman. Replacing the factory hitch because, the Receiver Hitch Coupler on my car trailer requires a Drop Down Receiver to keep it level to the road.
Otherwise, if I use the factory hitch on the rear bumper and hook that up to my car trailer, the tail end of the trailer is about 3" from dragging on the ground .... unloaded.
Plus, the car trailer (Big Tex) has a pointed, not round, hitch coupler that sits too close to the license plate for my liking. Thanks.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi snowman. Replacing the factory hitch because, the Receiver Hitch Coupler on my car trailer requires a Drop Down Receiver to keep it level to the road.
Otherwise, if I use the factory hitch on the rear bumper and hook that up to my car trailer, the tail end of the trailer is about 3" from dragging on the ground .... unloaded.
Plus, the car trailer (Big Tex) has a pointed, not round, hitch coupler that sits too close to the license plate for my liking. Thanks.

I guess I should have clarified....do you have the factory class 4 hitch, or are you just towing off the bumper(I'm assuming this)? It Hought you were looking to replace the OEM class 4 hitch.

Captain

Reaction score
Hi, My 2019 Tradesman does indeed come with a Factory Class 3 Trailer Hitch. With the Factory set up where you use the bumper for towing, the bumper is too Tall for the Big Tex Car Trailer that I use.
So, I will remove the Factory Tow Hitch and install a Drawtite that mounts in the same area on the frame as the Factory Hitch. The Drawtite Hitch will then allow me to use a "Drop Down" Receiver and Ball more suitable for towing my trailer.
Hope that answers your question.

Captain

Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified....do you have the factory class 4 hitch, or are you just towing off the bumper(I'm assuming this)? It Hought you were looking to replace the OEM class 4 hitch.

Hi,
Yes, the Tradesman came with the factory trailer hitch and yes I am replacing it so that I can use a drop down receiver for towing my car trailer.
Hope that answers your question or my confusion,

Agitated

Reaction score
Why don't you just use a ball mount mount with the proper drop? There are many types of ball mounts that slide in to the factory receiver (hitch) with different drops and lengths. Go to www.etrailer.com and look around to get an idea.

JoeRam

Reaction score
Yeah I am not sure why, if he has a Class lll hitch from the factory, he is removing it??

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Maybe the class III hitch is actually just the bumper with a spot to mount a ball. The class IV hitch is a propper 2 inch reciever type hitch. Some pictures of his class III hitch would surely clear things up.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tradesman comes standard with a class 3. It seems he is saying his doesn't have one at all.

Could you clarify this @Captain
Maybe the class III hitch is actually just the bumper with a spot to mount a ball. The class IV hitch is a propper 2 inch reciever type hitch. Some pictures of his class III hitch would surely clear things up.
I have to admit I was very confused with him saying he had to removethe hitch.

That said I assumed the class 3 was still a reciever hitch.

Apparently it is just the bumper

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...efined&filtersModified=true#listing=215544161

W9MCP

Reaction score
Bumper hitch, no receiver, per manual, to help alleviate any co fusion for folks reading this later. A021C2FF-2513-4E2F-B0F4-277703495595.png

Last edited by a moderator:

iamjeffp

Reaction score
just purchased a '19 Ram 1500 Big Horn last week. Does anyone know why it doesn't come with the standard 2" hitch receiver and just the bumper style hitch? With such a big increase in towing on the new models it would seem logical that it would be standard.

GATORB8

Reaction score
just purchased a '19 Ram 1500 Big Horn last week. Does anyone know why it doesn't come with the standard 2" hitch receiver and just the bumper style hitch? With such a big increase in towing on the new models it would seem logical that it would be standard.
Either so you don’t have to pay for it if you aren’t going to use it, or so they can charge you for it as an option.

I bet a lot of people never use their hitch.

Sommersb

Reaction score
I just ordered the draw-tight myself. Mine had class 3 and needed 4 for my wd and travel trailer

JonUSN

Reaction score
without looking at window sticker/specifications . . how can you tell visually from pictures of it’s the Class 3 or Class 4?

Users who are viewing this thread