5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 The Car Guide's Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison Test

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
https://5thgenrams.com/ram-1500-nam...-best-buy-by-le-guide-de-lauto-the-car-guide/

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/48705/full-size-pickup-comparison-test-battle-royale/

4th Place - Ford F150 Limited 3.5 Ecoboost
3Rd Place - Chevrolet Silverado High Country 6.2 V8
2nd Place - GMC Sierra Denali 6.2 V8
1st Place - Ram Limited 5.7 V8
Interesting...it was a victory by a "very narrow margin", according to the article. Also, the comments about reliability and "...the Ram 1500’s paint quality and exterior finish was voted the worst of our quartet" are some of the same that have been observed on this forum.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
As the scores show, only exterior design/fit and finish was where Ram truly struggled. Outside of that, it was tight due to the performance advantage of the 6.2. Considering the test truck was equipped with 3.21 and no etorque i think it performed quite admirably.

They are all good trucks, so it is no surprise the scoring was tight.

geotex1

Reaction score
Interesting...it was a victory by a "very narrow margin", according to the article. Also, the comments about reliability and "...the Ram 1500’s paint quality and exterior finish was voted the worst of our quartet" are some of the same that have been observed on this forum.

As what seems to be a rule, FCA has struggled with paint quality on the RAMs and several other lines for many years. Maybe the new paint facility will help change that. I spent a lot of time on my 2014 Sport and recently on my 2019 Laramie correctly the paint to the extent it can be, and having been a GM truck guy can attest that the paint on them is better but they also struggled with finish issues in years past just as Ford did (both had primer issues for instance).

Even though the RAM squeezed out, I feel the margin should have been wider and would have been if more equally comparable trucks were tested in powertrains. Also, getting down to brass tacks of what's included, what's available and price points also skews the picture.

Jackham

Reaction score
Yes it is strange how they struggle to put trucks head to head that are comparable across the board. Sometimes its like a Mustang V8 vs a Focus.

Like it or not. Very few people who drive trucks neither need nor use major towing capacity. So "Best Truck" can only be done when the mission is well defined.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes it is strange how they struggle to put trucks head to head that are comparable across the board. Sometimes its like a Mustang V8 vs a Focus.

Like it or not. Very few people who drive trucks neither need nor use major towing capacity. So "Best Truck" can only be done when the mission is well defined.
Where's the King Ranch vs. High Country vs. Laramie Longhorn shootout? I performed my own and bought accordingly ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online