5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Silverado V8 power and torque numbers leaked

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The boys over at TFLTruck received a leaked document with the V8 power numbers for the 2019 Silverado/Sierra. The 5.3 makes the same 355 horsepower and 383lb ft of torque as current. The 6.2 V8, got a bump from 420hp to 425 but torque dropped from 460 to 450 lb ft. Looks like the 5.3 still won't be an issue for the 5.7 Hemi, but I'd like to see something from RAM to compete with the 6.2.

To check out TFL's article click here.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I’m sure that takes even more wind out of their sails. DT was getting crucified it felt for no upgrades to the power train,

Looks like the name of the game for these trucks is bank on weight savings and small FE increases.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
I’m sure that takes even more wind out of their sails. DT was getting crucified it felt for no upgrades to the power train,

Looks like the name of the game for these trucks is bank on weight savings and small FE increases.
I agree with you 100%. People can say that the Hemi needs an update all they want, and I agree it would be nice, but the GM 5.3 which is their volume engine is outgunned by every other V8 engine in the segment and it looks like that will continue.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
We live in quite a wonderful time where we can turn our nose to 355hp. At no point in owning my 2011 with the 5.7 have I thought “man this just isn’t enough power”. I’m actually somewhat thankful I’ll have the same tried and true power train in my 2019.

Something about the ecotec being able to cut down to only one cylinder sounds like an expensive fix waiting to happen. We don’t know what kind of wizardry was done to allow it to do it, but I’m sure it’s fairly complicated. I also ask myself “even if it ‘can’ go into 1 cylinder, how often will it?” What are the parameters that trigger the cylinders to cut that low. maybe I have a lead foot, or its that I have the old 5 speed, but it’s only under a few circumstances when my truck goes into eco.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
The powerhouses are coming. There is more to a truck than an engine. They're all adequate to the task, so it comes down to things like brand loyalty, amenities, style, personal preference, etc. I thought it was rather cute that Ram put out a 930 lb-ft torque 3500 with a 30,000 lb tow rating. Because that extra 5 lb-ft of torque over the competition's 925 was relevant . . .True, we live in a world where bragging rights mean more than they should, but - these trucks have more than enough power. More is always gooder and gooder is always fun, but - even in cases where one vehicle has a slight edge over another, modern vehicles are so close in performance that circumstances and driver skill can make up the difference.I like power just as much as the next guy (my motorcycle has roughly 180 horsepower and weights about 500 lbs), but I much prefer quality over a relatively minimal horsepower gain.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
We live in quite a wonderful time where we can turn our nose to 355hp. At no point in owning my 2011 with the 5.7 have I thought “man this just isn’t enough power”. I’m actually somewhat thankful I’ll have the same tried and true power train in my 2019.

Something about the ecotec being able to cut down to only one cylinder sounds like an expensive fix waiting to happen. We don’t know what kind of wizardry was done to allow it to do it, but I’m sure it’s fairly complicated. I also ask myself “even if it ‘can’ go into 1 cylinder, how often will it?” What are the parameters that trigger the cylinders to cut that low. maybe I have a lead foot, or its that I have the old 5 speed, but it’s only under a few circumstances when my truck goes into eco.
Agree 100%. Haven't needed more power in my 2004 hemi even when towing over max rated limit into the 12K trailer/18k gross range on several occasions. Not long hauls or interstate obviously, Load trailer and get weight on axles properly and take it easy.

I'd much rather have carry over powertrain then have Ram try new engine or engine revision every 3 yrs like Ford. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Seems some commenters on TFLtruck don't think all new 5th gen truck is new unless it had an engine change. Logic doesn't make sense to me with all the improvements of the 5th gen, but that is some people's opinion.

If GM can figure out the 1-cylinder thing, more power to them. Untill it is ironed out and proven dependable I wouldn't own one.

Read interesting article on pickuptrucks of them test driving new gas F250 with electric/hybrid kit. Seemed to make definite improvement/difference. It is electric motor mounted back on axle instead of BSG like new hybrid hemi but if Rams setup can function similarly it looks promising.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Rustydodge said:
Agree 100%. Haven't needed more power in my 2004 hemi even when towing over max rated limit into the 12K trailer/18k gross range on several occasions. Not long hauls or interstate obviously, Load trailer and get weight on axles properly and take it easy.

I'd much rather have carry over powertrain then have Ram try new engine or engine revision every 3 yrs like Ford. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Seems some commenters on TFLtruck don't think all new 5th gen truck is new unless it had an engine change. Logic doesn't make sense to me with all the improvements of the 5th gen, but that is some people's opinion.

If GM can figure out the 1-cylinder thing, more power to them. Untill it is ironed out and proven dependable I wouldn't own one.

Read interesting article on pickuptrucks of them test driving new gas F250 with electric/hybrid kit. Seemed to make definite improvement/difference. It is electric motor mounted back on axle instead of BSG like new hybrid hemi but if Rams setup can function similarly it looks promising.
Your comment on the F-250 sparked a thought i had awhile ago. I'm woefully ignorant as to what motors the e-torque system can be implemented in, but would it be completely out of the question for ram to be hooking it up to the Ecodiesel? Since it's putting the power through the transmission which is a shared unit between all the models, it seems somewhat feasible if htey can figure a way to mount the MGU to the motor. That would net some serious results.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
DSOOBY said:
Your comment on the F-250 sparked a thought i had awhile ago. I'm woefully ignorant as to what motors the e-torque system can be implemented in, but would it be completely out of the question for ram to be hooking it up to the Ecodiesel? Since it's putting the power through the transmission which is a shared unit between all the models, it seems somewhat feasible if htey can figure a way to mount the MGU to the motor. That would net some serious results.
Well, I would think so but am no expert. That would help with acceleration for sure. Fords upcoming electric system on the mustang and probably 2020 F150 is electric motor wedged between engine and trans, and as stated the modified F250 is mounted near rear axle, so there are a few different ways to do it. I think on the gas engines it will be coupled with start/stop tech, so not sure they would want to do that with the diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread