5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Shudder/Vibration - Intermittent but very unsettling

patriot07

Reaction score
Background - I had a 2016 Ecodiesel and now a 2018 Hemi - both fantastic trucks.

My dad bought a 2019 (new body style) Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the 5.7L Hemi 2WD last August. It was a demo model that had 4,500 miles on it. At about 10,000 miles, he started it up one day, put it in gear, and it started shaking really, really badly, so bad that it scared his granddaughter (who was in the truck with him). He shut it off and it started again and ran fine until 500 miles later and it did the same thing again, slightly less severe. Ever since, it does it slightly less severe every so often, but no idea what could be going on. Only happens when the engine is cold, but it's very unsettling. Anyone else having the problem? Ideas on what it could be? Not repeatable at the dealer of course. And there are no loaner vehicles for him at the local dealer for them to keep it longer. 12,500 miles on the truck now. Rarely used for towing - mostly just a grocery-getter.

Appreciate any help/experience/thoughts you can provide.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Next time this happens try opening the windows a little. If the vibrations stop, the noise cancellation system is malfunctioning

patriot07

Reaction score
It was severe shaking - definitely not noise cancellation system...at least, I can't imagine a noise cancellation system would even have components that could shake a vehicle that severely.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it's that severe it sounds like a transmission or torque converter problem, maybe not firing on all cylinders, but the engine light would probably come on. A trip to the dealership is your best bet at this point

patriot07

Reaction score
Yeah, wish he had a decent dealer nearby. They have no loaners and are terrible to work with.

patriot07

Reaction score
Try to get it on the video next time, show to dealer. Not every dealership is bad.
That's what I told my dad, but he's 73 and he barely uses his phone for anything.

Dealership by me is good, but my experience is that those are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread