5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 rough MDS

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
I have a 19 tradesman with the non etorque hemi and sometimes my switch back to 8 cylinders is very harsh to where the vibration turns into a slam that can be felt through the whole vehicle as if some bumped into the back of me. Most of the time it’s smoother, but I wouldn’t call it seamless. Averaging almost 22 mpg now, but am worries that harsh change is doing some damage to the drivetrain. Anyone else have harsh change when mds shuts off?

popcenator

Reaction score
My MDS transition was always very noticeable. I have it turned off in my tune but I never saw much of a difference anyway.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

HeavyMetalHauler

Reaction score
Pretty normal in my experience. Half the time MDS kicks in and out smoothly and other times it’s exactly how you describe.

Black_Pearl

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. With that said, it seems to be consensus that it’s okay to ride around with the gear limiter pegged to 8 all the time, right?

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. With that said, it seems to be consensus that it’s okay to ride around with the gear limiter pegged to 8 all the time, right?
That's what I do, otherwise I get the kick in the pants and the vroomf noise as it switched from 4 back to 8. Horrible system.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
My MDS transition was always very noticeable. I have it turned off in my tune but I never saw much of a difference anyway.

Heard by doing so the lifters collapse after some rough driving.
How true is that ?

popcenator

Reaction score
How true is that ?
I did the same on my 2012 and never had a problem for the 80K miles I ran the tune. The earlier 4th gens had more of a problem with the lifters too. Neither this truck nor the 2012 were babied if that helps.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
How true is that ?
Way I figured it, Tow/Haul Mode does the same thing and I am towing about as often as I'm not. Therefor, I'm using the truck mostly as it is designed. If it's going to blow due to operating in this manner, then a truck used primarily for towing will do the same thing. I certainly wouldn't put it past RAM for having a design flaw, but I'll probably be out of this thing long before it blows.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score

What kinda tune do you have and supporting mods to go along with it?

Users who are viewing this thread