5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Rebel engine died while driving

Matd45

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel, was driving up a county highway yesterday in central NY when the engine shut off. It was in mid-20’s with some moisture on the road. Truck had been parked outside due to having Krown undercoating applied a few days earlier. I started the engine from the key fob approx 10 mins before driving. Was on the road about 5 mins when the incident happened. Right when the engine died I felt a jerk of the wheel and thought I hit a patch of ice. I was in 4 wheel high. I took my foot off the gas to ensure I had control going slightly up hill. When I pressed the gas pedal again nothing happened. The steering wheel was very stiff and I coasted to a stop. I attempted to restart many times in the hour it took a tow truck to pick the truck up and haul it to a dealer.
I had battery power, so electronics in the cab worked. I would press the button to crank it and it would sound like the normal cranking would occur but when the engine is suppose to fire up it just dies. So normal cranking sound, a very short split second of an engine turning over, then shut down. As a result I could not shift in neutral for the tow and had to manually engage...recommend everyone know how to do that. I have not heard from the dealer yet...any ideas what this issue is?

Matd45

Reaction score
Just off the phone with the dealership. There was a code in the system regarding the auto shut-off. Voltage output was not even and the recommended action for the technician is to replace the Power Distribution Center. Part will take at least 2 days to come in. Then test everything out to ensure sound operation.
I asked if this were a common issue, the service advisor said he has not yet seen this problem on a new body style RAM yet. He has seen this issue on other vehicles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they were (hopefully) able to figure out what's wrong. Let us know how this comes out.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just off the phone with the dealership. There was a code in the system regarding the auto shut-off. Voltage output was not even and the recommended action for the technician is to replace the Power Distribution Center. Part will take at least 2 days to come in. Then test everything out to ensure sound operation.
I asked if this were a common issue, the service advisor said he has not yet seen this problem on a new body style RAM yet. He has seen this issue on other vehicles.
Hi there @Matd45, we are happy to hear that you appear to be in good hands with your dealer! If you have any further concerns throughout your vehicle service, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team via private messages. We would be happy to offer our additional support!

Kathryn
RamCares

Matd45

Reaction score
Dealer replaced the PDC and ran the diagnostic tests. Received the same low voltage code. Further investigation revealed the Intake Manifold had bound up and took out the Short Runner Valve. Both need to be replaced.
I asked what would cause this issue and the Service Rep could not answer and needed to get that data from the technician. Ideally I’ll find out tomorrow pending the parts come in and work can be completed. The Service Rep did say he has not encountered this with the new RAM.

Users who are viewing this thread