5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel Overland Build

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Picked up a 2019 Ram Rebel in Bright White on Saturday. Specs are in my signature.

I plan on making this an overlanding vehicle with a roof top tent. For now, I've got the following on order: Mopar 2" lift kit, Mopar off road running boards, Mopar tri-fold hard cover tonneau, Mopar bed utility rails, and Mopar bed divider. When the parts come in at the dealership, they'll also send it off for LineX with the UV topcoat.

1) Window tint.

Today I had the windows tinted with the carbon tint on the sides and back, mainly for heat reflection as it's dang hot here in south Florida. I didn't chance the sunroof (due to possible damage) or the front (due to liquid from the tinting process). The tint shop would not guarantee either of those if there was damage.

20190627_175231.jpg

20190627_182000.jpg

2) Gun safe

I also installed a Lock'er Down console safe to hold my concealed carry. This video was helpful in the process. It took about 30 minutes, but that was more due to the tight spaces than any difficulty. I am a little apprehensive that it's just held in by four self tapping screws that are screwed into the plastic lining of the console. But, the lid is solid and the 4 digit combo will be easy to access without a key.

20190627_130156.jpg

20190627_130205.jpg

20190627_181823.jpg

20190627_181842.jpg

After all the ordered stuff goes in, I'll be saving up for a Max Modular Alu-Max rack, probably 14 or 18 inches, with the slide.

[Edits: 7/7/19 - Formatting]

Last edited:

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I did a few things today:

3) I researched GPS trail apps.

It looks to me like the winner by pure recommendation alone is Gaia GPS. There are several subscription models, so I'm trying out the free one right now. The map layers are truly amazing. There are many videos on YouTube describing how to use Gaia GPS, like this one from Venture4WD.

4) I researched GPS devices.

I was looking at dedicated devices, like Garmin, HN7, etc. I found that to a beginner like me, an iPad or Android device running Gaia GPS would work just fine. That, and the devices use AGPS (assisted GPS) with WiFi and cellular towers helping the GPS find a more accurate location. WiFi isn't going to help much out in the wilderness, but cellular coverage may.

I just happened to have an old Nexus 7 and an iPad Mini lying around and started researching the options for both, and found that Gaia GPS runs on either. The Nexus 7 was a bit smaller, and I went with it in the end because you can also use it for the Torque app. To go with the Torque app, I purchased the recommended BAFX OBDII Diagnostics Interface (Returned). I already had a small RAM X-Grip from my kayak, so I'll reuse that.

5) I checked out device mounting options.

I started with this video from Lifestyle Overland. The show a mounting option that uses RAM balls (he he) and some extensions. To me, the solution seemed sort of clunky. I remembered some track systems I use on my kayaks, and that brought me to an "a ha!" moment. Yak Attack and some other vendors make track systems that affix to kayaks. There are several colors, toughness ratings, and mounting options. The main benefit of these things is that you can mount your equipment, move it around the rail, take it off if you want, and never drill any more holes than those for the rails themselves. They allow endless mounting options. You can buy the track nuts and various bolts in bulk for cheap.

20190629_152146.jpg

20190629_152211.jpg

20190629_152226.jpg

20190629_152349.jpg

20190629_152409.jpg

20190629_152631.jpg

20190629_152635.jpg

On my kayaks, I use the spectralite ones (model GTSL90), that mount down the center with self tapping screws. They have held up very well in the salt water over the last few years. I purchased some aluminum ones but never mounted them. So, I figured I'd test fit two of the different lengths I had.

The smaller 4" Yak Attack Geartrac (model GT175) fit nicely in the area next to the 12V power under the rear view mirror. The longer 8" ones (model GTTL175) can mount in several places, but I like them on the map pockets on the passenger side. The strength their grip on the plastic, I could through bolt a few, and self tap the rest.

I also found that the Nexus 7 fits nicely just seated in the phone charging area. It wouldnt stay very well when the vehicle goes over large obstacles, but I do have some large velcro strips that I can stick to the phone area and then to the back of the Nexus 7 case. That would allow me to remove the Nexus 7 easily for storage. You do have to look a little down to see the map, so that may be an issue, but I can test that out now without drilling any holes.

20190629_152321.jpg

I'm going to think a little more about where to mount the rails before I start drilling. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

Tpreston

Reaction score
Have you decided on a rack to mount your roof top tent to?
I have a Jeep that I take “overlanding” so I am interested in some of your research. It has been a while since I researched gps, but I didn’t find a great solution for one device that does it all. Seemed like the tablet/app solutions had issues with downloading all of the maps at the right detail I would need. I ended up buying a Magellan tr5. As of now I would not recommend it as a one device solution. Seems to track great off road, but trying to get directions is painful if it works at all. I won’t condemn it yet because it may be a user issue.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Have you decided on a rack to mount your roof top tent to?

I'm seriously considering the Alumax 14 or 18" rack from Max Modular. They sell brackets that work with some tonneau covers including the Retrax and Bakflip lines. When using the tonneau cover brackets, the rack is held on by only four bolts and weighs about 55 lbs, so you can easily remove it when daily driving.

I originally wanted to go with the Retrax Pro XR and Yakima Overhaul bars to mount a RTT. It would be better for daily driving. But, after some research, the combination of the two only allowed for about 300 lbs on top of the rack on road and 180 lbs off road. You don't find that out unless you read the Yakima Tonneau Kit 1 description. If I weren't going for a roof top tent, I would likely have purchased the XR and Overhaul combination with the side rails.

I looked at more expensive options like Leitner, Nuthouse, and Frontrunner. Check those out too.

I really like this guy's build with a Max Modular rack.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
6) Fire extinguisher.

I was looking through Overland Bound and found a few threads about the first things to purchase for overlanding. At the top of the list was a fire extinguisher. This thread goes into detail about what to carry and why. Aside from vehicle fires, you'll need one if you park over tall grass after a wheeling session.

I found the cheapest option for me was a 2 pack of Kidde ABC extinguishers from Sam's Club. Each one comes with a plastic mount. The pair was $29.99 at my local club. They're small, but they're better than nothing.

It is suggested to mount the extinguisher where the driver can reach it. I tried the front pockets, but it was way too large. I looked at under the driver or passenger seat using a mount like the Bracketeer, but the Rebel doesn't have front seat bolts. I looked at mounting it parallel with the console, but I thought that might get in the way. I looked at Molle pouches for the Molle seat panels I ordered, but I thought it may be too bulky. In the end, I used the included plastic mount and mounted one under the rear seat, attached to the rear seat storage tray. Fits great under there and doesn't hit anyone's feet when the seat is down. It's still easy to reach, and there is only one clip that has to be released in order to use the extinguisher.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

7) MOLLE Seat Covers or Panels?

My 2019 Big Horn had cloth seats, so I purchased some Coverking Kryptek NeoSupreme Tactical Camo Seat Covers. I didn't get to use the covers for very long before the vehicle went back to the manufacturer, but for the time I did have them, they worked great. Those covers have MOLLE webbing on the back, so I could hang all my pouches and gear. The new Rebel has leather seats, and I really went back and forth about covering them up or just installing rear MOLLE panels. In the end, I went with these panels from Blue Ridge Overlanding Gear. They appear to be much stiffer than the seat cover backs, which was my only real complaint. If you have money lying around, go with these panels from Grey Man Tactical. Unfortunately, they were just a little out of my price range. In the future, I may get a couple of Grey Man Tactical panels and mount them under or behind the rear seats.

8) OBD II Scanner.

I went with the BAFX Products 8523900508 OBD Reader on Amazon. I originally purchased the Bluetooth version, but it only worked with Android. The new one works on any device that supports WiFi. Seems to work well, though when tested on my Honda CR-V, it couldn't read any trouble codes. This may be due to a lack of Honda PIDs loaded, but I'm not sure. Ideally, it will just be used to read any codes on the Ram, and keep track of temperatures and pitch/roll. I purchased a 12" extension, and velcroed it all to the hood release line.

IMG_0021.JPG

Last edited:

SynAckuL

Reaction score
8) Comms

Comms came in today. I'll be sticking with a handheld Ham radio for now, to be used primarily for convoy chatter. For this purpose, I picked up the Baofeng BF-F8HP radio based on reviews on Ham videos and its reputation with coworkers. To go with it, I chose the BTECH QHM22 speaker. The radio came with the extended battery, but I want to be able to use 12V power and not worry about charging the battery, so I picked up a BaoFeng BL-5 battery eliminator. The BF-F8HP will do Ham, FM, GPRS, and FRS, has A/B channel selection, and can transmit at up to 8 watts. I may pick up an aftermarket antenna later on.

To program the radio, I used the BTECH PC03 FTDI cable and the free CHIRP programming software. A buddy gave me his export file from CHIRP, and I was able to just import it into the software and push it out to the radio. It was very simple since I did not have to program in each channel individually.

To hold the radio in the car, I picked up the Baofeng BF-S112 HAM Mic + Baofeng BF-F8HP Radio Holder with 1 inch RAM Ball mount from JeepUniq. It was a little expensive for what it is, but I couldn't find another similar mount that would do the trick. Once I get it all mounted, I'll update this thread with pictures.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I got the truck back from the dealership today. Bad news is that the lift they ordered would not work on the Rebel. Good news is that they were still able to complete the LineX, bed utility rails, bed divider, and tonneau cover.

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

I also found the MOLLE panels and JeepUniq radio holder on my front door when I got home.

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0036.JPG

ej23

Reaction score
Following your thread. My plans for our 19 Bighorn with ORP are similar, sans RTT. I've been a Jeep guy, but my 2 dr wrangler keeps getting smaller as I get bigger. So far my family loves road tripping in the Ram, my goal is to get us back off road, even if the Ram wont take us over the Rubicon like we've done in the Jeep.

Planning to sell the Jeep and convert funds to hard folding cover, utility rails, some kind of short bed rack to mount a cargo carrier we already have to and maybe some bumpers if payload and funds allow but it starts getting tight. The justification for the truck was to be able to to a 5000lb trailer so I need to keep my permanent weights in mind while I build.

I will be looking into that rail mount. I need to figure out how to mount my mobile ham. Either the kenwood 710 or maybe smaller QYT-8900D. I already own both just a matter of what I think mounts up better, but the QYT mount will need to be pretty sweet to beat out the Kenwood. I have a fender/hood NMO mount previously on a early Tundra, will be doing the same with the Ram.

Guys I talk to seem to like Gaia GPS on a tablet for NAV - I haven;t got that far yet. Never had room in the Jeep. It'd be nice for someone to come up with an offroad nav ap for carplay/android auto.

sawyer84

Reaction score
So far so good man. I can't wait to see the progress. So that's the Mopar Tonneau cover, huh? I was wondering if they folded all the way up to allow full access of the bed. From the pics you posted, it looks like it does. Any complaints with it?

SynAckuL

Reaction score
It will fold flat against the back window allowing full access to the bed. I had an older version on my Ford, and it seemed much thicker. This one is thin and light. No complaints so far.

9) Running Boards.

I forgot that the Mopar Off-Road Style Running Boards also got installed yesterday. They seem to be pretty strong, but they're certainly not rock sliders. I do like the aggressive look. I got an excellent deal on them, otherwise I may have gone with something like the Go Rhino RB20s for about half the cost. They both have a rugged LineX like coating and fight tight against the body and high against the bottom, leaving plenty of room for clearance.

20190712_125031.jpg

20190712_125036.jpg

20190712_125044.jpg

I mounted the back panels in the truck today, and took stock of the space under the rear seat.

20190712_133643.jpg

20190712_133647.jpg

20190712_133653.jpg

20190712_133709.jpg

Other than the console, I can't really see a good place to mount the equipment rails/tracks due to the curvature of the dash. I may go with something like a ProClip Angled Dash Mount for the radio holder.

I'm also looking at shovels and axes to carry with me on the trail. Based on discussion on other overlanding forums like this one, I'm looking towards a fiberglass shaft, D-handled shovel approximately 40-44" long like the Bond MFG 21440. I chose fiberglass because it will be constantly exposed to the weather, and I don't want to have to remember to oil a wooden handle. For those with deeper pockets, check out the Krazy Beaver Super Shovel - aka the "Murder Spork". The axe will likely be a Fiskars X15, coming in at almost 24".

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I just ordered a MAX Modular Bed Rack Tonneau Cover Single Test Bracket to see if the rack will work with the bed rails. It should work fine with the tonneau cover. Since the lift didn't work, I have a large credit that can now go towards an Alumax rack and roof top tent.

Right now, I'm looking at a cheaper SmittyBilt tent like this one, which you can also see reviewed here by TrailRecon, with his one year follow up here.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I received the test bracket today for the Max Modular rack. Unfortunately, the bottom part is just a little too long and hits the bed divider rail, causing the entire tonneau rail to separate from the bed by about 1/4 to 1/2" all the way down the rail. I've emailed their sales team do see if there's anything that can be done. It may mean shaving the bracket down, but I'd prefer an actual smaller bracket.

Sizing the bracket:
20190715_163714.jpg

Bracket under the tonneau rail:
20190715_191103.jpg

Tonneau rail popping up:
20190715_191127.jpg

Also, found a $15 wooden D-handled shovel at Home Depot for $15 with a 5 year warranty. I decided to go the cheap route as I can take it in for a new one anytime within 5 years. It may bite me on the trail though. I picked up the Fiskars X15 from Tractor Supply company for cheaper than I could get it on Amazon. Both the shovel and the axe are mounted to the bed divider at this time, until I can get the rack figured out.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
I went ahead and installed the rails.

The one in the center tray can be used for iPad navigation or to hold a phone. The one on the side pocket will be used for an extension and radio mount. I was a little worried that the one in the middle would interfere with the Lock'er Down safe, but I am able to move the tray freely all the way back. The side pocket will move a little, so I don't recommend using it for anything heavy unless it is further reinforced.

20190722_181136.jpg

20190722_181123.jpg

If I ever decide to remove the mounts, I can just get another tray insert for the middle, but I won't be able to hide the holes on the side pocket.

I used 1-1/2" stainless steel 8-32 bolts for the tray, 1" stainless steel 8-32 bolts for the side, 1" washers, and nylon lock nuts.

20190722_180050.jpg

20190722_180054.jpg

The RAM brand mounts are on their way, and I'll post more pictures when they're in.

Last edited:

ej23

Reaction score
Your last photo gives me an idea. I have a Bighorn with the bench. I may mount a rail like that inside the large lower slide out in center dash and just mount my radio head unit to that. With the right mount, I could then fold the head in the drawer, or remove entirely for daily driving. I prefer hidden radio over one in plain view. I have been considering 3D printing a mount that would just drop into the coin holders.

R

Rob5589

Looks good so far. Those extinguishers will be worthless for two reasons; one they aren't readily accessible, and they are far too small for a vehicle fire (any handheld is, really) I would also recommend H3R over dry chem. Dry chem makes a mess and is highly corrosive. If you really want to stay with dry chem (far cheaper for sure) than look into a 5lb, nothing smaller. A fully involved vehicle fire will not be put down with any extinguisher. Look at them as something to buy a little time to get everyone away and/or grab some survival gear if in the back country.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
Look at them as something to buy a little time to get everyone away and/or grab some survival gear if in the back country.

Agreed. I have them more for "oh crap, I just started a grass fire because of the heat". I'm not really expecting any miracles.

I can't find a better mounting place, as I can actually reach the fire extinguisher from the driver's seat now. I can't reach it easily if it's under the passenger seat, though. I may just look at putting it on the MOLLE panel, but I'm going to try it where it is for now.

SynAckuL

Reaction score
With the right mount, I could then fold the head in the drawer...

I've seen many people use the standard RAM X--Grip for the head. Easy to remove from the X-Grip if you want.

R

Rob5589

Agreed. I have them more for "oh crap, I just started a grass fire because of the heat". I'm not really expecting any miracles.

I can't find a better mounting place, as I can actually reach the fire extinguisher from the driver's seat now. I can't reach it easily if it's under the passenger seat, though. I may just look at putting it on the MOLLE panel, but I'm going to try it where it is for now.
A great rule of thumb; be able to grab it on your way out. You do not want to return to the vehicle to grab it. Most of us Jeep guys had them mounted on the floor at the front seat. Not sure you could do that on the Ram, however. If you do decide to look into something else, there are different manufacturers that make high quality quick detach mounts.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
Looking forward to pictures of your Max Modular rack with the tonneau cover brackets solution. Coming from a Tacoma, kb voodoo is very popular and I think the style will look great on your Rebel!

SynAckuL

Reaction score
10) Mounts.

RAM mounts finally came in today after about two weeks. I ordered two RAM 1" Track Balls with T-Bolt Attachments (RAP-B-354U-TRA1), one RAM 18" Socket Arm with 1" sockets on both ends (RAP-BB-201-18U), and one RAM Tab-Tite Samsung Tab A 8" Case (RAM-HOL-TAB29U).

The case adjusts to fit a variety of tablets, including my iPad Mini 3 in a case and my Nexus 7. So whichever platform I use, I should be good. I had a spare 1" ball mount, which I mounted to the back.

20190802_191038.jpg

20190802_191053.jpg

20190802_191027.jpg

I test fit the 18" socket arm first, then trimmed it down about 2 inches as it was too tall. The pictures show the socket arm before trimming. After trimming, I used PVC glue to secure the ends. If you don't use glue, rivets, or screws, the pole will certainly come out of the socket.

20190802_193203.jpg

I attached one of the track balls to the pocket track, and then mounted the cut socket arm and radio holder from JeepUniq. As I suspected, it will definitely rock around, though I'm not in fear of it hitting anything. Still, I'll need to find a way to secure it better. I like the iPad tucked away, but I do think it's current mount limits it usability. I'll like either get a longer arm or use that rail for my phone and find another track for the iPad.

20190802_192336.jpg

20190802_192330.jpg

20190802_192323.jpg

20190802_192351.jpg

I can take everything out in about 1 minute by loosening the clamps. If I want to leave the tablet holder in, I can just fold it out of the way.

20190802_192519.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the 18" tall 58" long Alumax aluminum rack from Max Modular through my dealer, as I still have a credit there for the lift kit that didn't work. If that all goes through, I'm hoping to have something to put together in a few weeks. I'll have to go to a fabricator to make some smaller tonneau cover brackets for the rack, as the test one I tried was too long and hit the sliding bed organizer rails.

Also, I exchanged emails with Victor from ProClip USA. The mounting pad they currently have doesn't fit the new 2019 models with 12" screen. They're hoping to have a new one listed in 4-6 weeks for the 12" screen. If you have the 8" screen or smaller, you should be able to use the RAM Center Dash Mount - Extra Strength with Pedestal (213552).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread