5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Laramie concern/questions

JRadford43

Reaction score
I purchased my ram laramie about a week ago and I have added about 800 miles to it so far. It's an April 2019 build. But I have some questions and a little concern. If anyone else has noticed this then for sure let me know.

1. When running the truck for about 25 to 30 minutes in the last two days or so I noticed that the fenders and even the hood get so hot they are almost unbearable to touch. I hadn't really just gone to touch the fenders before so I'm not sure if it was like that right away. I know it's hot out here in Memphis, TN but the hood and fenders are way hotter than the rest of the truck. The rest of the truck is warm but I can leave my hand on it, the hood and fenders are so hot I feel like it's going to melt the paint off of the truck. I probably can leave my hand on there for about 2 seconds before it potentially burns(it might not literally but it's extremely hot). Seeing what could be causing such heat after a normal drive?
- All gauges check out normal.
- Raised the hood and the fan is on and no smoke under the hood either.

2. After an hour and a half drive the other day, at the end of the drive i felt a slight wobble in the front of the truck. It became very slight but it's enough to where I noticed it while driving. It's hard to explain, it's not shaking the steering wheel and the truck isn't shaking throughout. But I can feel it when moving down the street very slightly through the pedal and just in general when I'm paying attention it feels like it's there. It's like just the very front of the truck is shaking, I can't tell if it's maybe the engine or the tires, or something else. Seeing if anyone else has felt this very light wobble in the front? It has made the ride not as enjoyable feeling as it was when I first got it as it always feels like I'm driving over really tiny bumps in the road.

3. When pressing the pedal and then quickly letting off, the rpm and engine stay revved for another second or two at an exact rpm point before coming back down. Almost like a delay where the engine stays revved up and won't come back down for a few seconds. Is that just the hemi and how it acts with the 3.21 ratio, or does that seem abnormal? My last truck as an 09 Ram with a v6. It doesn't just slowly wind back down, it stays at a specific rpm then after time it just instantly drops back to normal. But that crazy delay after I had already let go of the pedal makes it seem like the engine is really over working for something so minor with the pedal.

I will of course be going to the dealer this week to do the flash TSB on the Active noise cancelling. But these other 3 I'm just concerned about. I don't know if it's just the new truck fear, or if I have actual legit concerns that I should be worried about with this truck. I've never bought a new truck before and I knew I'd having growing pains with it. I figured I would post before heading to the dealer next week to see if anyone else knows anything about what I'm posting here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1. These trucks get hot in traffic. If your temperatures are good; I wouldn't worry about it...take it from a Florida resident.
2. What speed did the slight wobble occur? Most trucks have a slight wobble from 57 to 60 MPH or so. There is a lot of debate about what causes it. My guess is tires since mine didn't start until after my tires were rotated. Honestly, I think these trucks are a little heavy for the P-rated tires that come on them stock. Search vibration and you'll see the debate.
3. I noticed mine doing that for the first few months that I had the truck. I have had it now for nearly a year and 10,000 miles and I don't notice it at all anymore. It might be part of the "learn" process or it could be the PCM update my dealer did.

There are a lot of little nuances with these trucks. Reading the forums seems to make them worse. Most of the problems are being corrected by FCA under warranty, so if you think you have a problem then report it. I went into my dealership with a list of nine items the first time that I took it in and five items the second time; they have been very good about taking care of my concerns.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
1 the new trucks run on efans, not mechanical, and only come on when the temp gets up, they are a little hotter in the bay area...
2 mine has not had a wobble, only when I installed my power steps, and the vibration canister on the driver side was touching the step bracket
3 - have not noticed, but it seems a bit more responsive than my 12 was... I love the power more than the 12. and going from a 6 speed to an 8.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I purchased my ram laramie about a week ago and I have added about 800 miles to it so far. It's an April 2019 build. But I have some questions and a little concern. If anyone else has noticed this then for sure let me know.

1. When running the truck for about 25 to 30 minutes in the last two days or so I noticed that the fenders and even the hood get so hot they are almost unbearable to touch. I hadn't really just gone to touch the fenders before so I'm not sure if it was like that right away. I know it's hot out here in Memphis, TN but the hood and fenders are way hotter than the rest of the truck. The rest of the truck is warm but I can leave my hand on it, the hood and fenders are so hot I feel like it's going to melt the paint off of the truck. I probably can leave my hand on there for about 2 seconds before it potentially burns(it might not literally but it's extremely hot). Seeing what could be causing such heat after a normal drive?
- All gauges check out normal.
- Raised the hood and the fan is on and no smoke under the hood either.

2. After an hour and a half drive the other day, at the end of the drive i felt a slight wobble in the front of the truck. It became very slight but it's enough to where I noticed it while driving. It's hard to explain, it's not shaking the steering wheel and the truck isn't shaking throughout. But I can feel it when moving down the street very slightly through the pedal and just in general when I'm paying attention it feels like it's there. It's like just the very front of the truck is shaking, I can't tell if it's maybe the engine or the tires, or something else. Seeing if anyone else has felt this very light wobble in the front? It has made the ride not as enjoyable feeling as it was when I first got it as it always feels like I'm driving over really tiny bumps in the road.

3. When pressing the pedal and then quickly letting off, the rpm and engine stay revved for another second or two at an exact rpm point before coming back down. Almost like a delay where the engine stays revved up and won't come back down for a few seconds. Is that just the hemi and how it acts with the 3.21 ratio, or does that seem abnormal? My last truck as an 09 Ram with a v6. It doesn't just slowly wind back down, it stays at a specific rpm then after time it just instantly drops back to normal. But that crazy delay after I had already let go of the pedal makes it seem like the engine is really over working for something so minor with the pedal.

I will of course be going to the dealer this week to do the flash TSB on the Active noise cancelling. But these other 3 I'm just concerned about. I don't know if it's just the new truck fear, or if I have actual legit concerns that I should be worried about with this truck. I've never bought a new truck before and I knew I'd having growing pains with it. I figured I would post before heading to the dealer next week to see if anyone else knows anything about what I'm posting here.

Thanks,
Jeff
(3) is pretty common. There’s an existing thread on it. I can’t speak to the first two.

JRadford43

Reaction score
1. These trucks get hot in traffic. If your temperatures are good; I wouldn't worry about it...take it from a Florida resident.
2. What speed did the slight wobble occur? Most trucks have a slight wobble from 57 to 60 MPH or so. There is a lot of debate about what causes it. My guess is tires since mine didn't start until after my tires were rotated. Honestly, I think these trucks are a little heavy for the P-rated tires that come on them stock. Search vibration and you'll see the debate.
3. I noticed mine doing that for the first few months that I had the truck. I have had it now for nearly a year and 10,000 miles and I don't notice it at all anymore. It might be part of the "learn" process or it could be the PCM update my dealer did.

There are a lot of little nuances with these trucks. Reading the forums seems to make them worse. Most of the problems are being corrected by FCA under warranty, so if you think you have a problem then report it. I went into my dealership with a list of nine items the first time that I took it in and five items the second time; they have been very good about taking care of my concerns.

1. Yea, hopefully that's the case. I'll notify the dealer just in case something is causing that heat such as brakes or something else just to be sure.
2. The speed is actually just cruising in general. Whether I'm going slow or fast the feel is the same. That smoothness the truck first had is now gone even when just driving slow. It's Like I switched to a mud tire in the front if that's making sense. I still have the road tires that were included but that's the feel I'm getting.
3. I'll Ask about a PCM update for that just to see what they say regarding the extra rev time.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Just a few updates.

I drove around for 30 minutes tonight and had to do some interstate driving as well. The heat seems to be extremely built up around the fenders in the front above the wheels all the way to the hood point. This would be both fenders. Hood was fine to the touch and just warm like you think it would be. Not sure if this correlates with the wobble I feel. The subtle wobble seemed to always be there but most prominent at cruising speeds with my foot just holding the pedal around 45mph.

I want to keep this up to date until I visit the dealership on Tuesday so if anyone else has this exact concern I'll hopefully have it documented if there is something behind this.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Another update and concern to keep this going until I go in tomorrow.

-Today I felt the vibration picking up. Almost like it's starting to go throughout the back of the truck as well. My drive is not smooth at all. It's not rattling the truck crazy but It constantly feels like i'm driving over small speed bumps through any type of road even when I hit a freshly paved one. It's like really tiny speed bumps but it's very annoying.

-Another issue I have run into is when I accelerated heavily the truck revved up like it did before but this time it got stuck at 4,000 rpm and stayed there for another minute. It then slowly dropped but it was like it was stuck in the same gear. Truck never fully dropped to the lowest gear until I got home and placed it into park. I'm not sure what gear it got stuck in but it definitely didn't want to come out of that gear, I really thought something was just going to fall off of the truck while coasting to a stop.

Definitely have some concerns now as the rev I was discussing isn't normal. Hopefully the dealer can sort this out and help me come to a quick resolution so my truck can run smooth.

First new truck I have ever bought, I have had two other vehicles in my life and both were Dodge's that ran amazing all the way until almost 200,000 miles. The last vehicle I bought used with 80,000 miles but it was a first year model and it ran great. So I'm a little disappointed to be honest in the issues that I'm having as they seem like a bigger issue is occurring here with a brand new vehicle of this price.

Overlander

Reaction score
Following. I have a similar wobble coming from the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I went in and had my tires balanced and rotated for the first time, a bit smoother, maybe you became unbalanced from driving... helped mine

Users who are viewing this thread