5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Completely Dead (Possible Battery Issue)

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Truck information: 2019 Ram Rebel 5.7L eTorque with less than 12K miles on it.

Issue: Yesterday I came home and tried to unlock my truck but nothing was happening. The key fob was lighting up but the doors were not unlocking. I decided to use the key to open the door and the alarm went off, when I tried to start the truck, no luck.
Here are the steps I took with no resolution:

1. Disconnected and reconnected the battery, thought it could be a reset issue
2. Jump the truck using a battery backup
3. Jump the truck using another vehicle with jumping cables
4. Charge the battery with backup

Nothing worked, the truck was completely dead, lights (interior and exterior) worked, but windows and radio would not go on. On the dashboard it did say the normal press the start button, but that is it.

So far I called RSA (1-800-521-2779) which directed me to a website to fill in information regarding my location, truck, and issue. Still waiting for a representative to get back to me to schedule assistance.

Has anyone come across this?

I did find a similar issue on the internet...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ram_trucks/comments/eo5zui

AlJ

Reaction score
Truck information: 2019 Ram Rebel 5.7L eTorque with less than 12K miles on it.

Issue: Yesterday I came home and tried to unlock my truck but nothing was happening. The key fob was lighting up but the doors were not unlocking. I decided to use the key to open the door and the alarm went off, when I tried to start the truck, no luck.
Here are the steps I took with no resolution:

1. Disconnected and reconnected the battery, thought it could be a reset issue
2. Jump the truck using a battery backup
3. Jump the truck using another vehicle with jumping cables
4. Charge the battery with backup

Nothing worked, the truck was completely dead, lights (interior and exterior) worked, but windows and radio would not go on. On the dashboard it did say the normal press the start button, but that is it.

So far I called RSA (1-800-521-2779) which directed me to a website to fill in information regarding my location, truck, and issue. Still waiting for a representative to get back to me to schedule assistance.

Has anyone come across this?

I did find a similar issue on the internet...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ram_trucks/comments/eo5zui
Sounds like if could be the Radio Frequency Module. Do a search on Radio Frequency Module and you can read my post. I had the same issues.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
Sounds like if could be the Radio Frequency Module. Do a search on Radio Frequency Module and you can read my post. I had the same issues.

Thanks! I'll bring this up if they can't find out the reason on their end. I'll also keep this post up to date on the status. As of now its at the dealership, the service manager said he would update me tomorrow.

AlJ

Reaction score
FYI, the reason the RF Hub Module was bad was a water leak on the back window and the third brake light. Both had to be replaced. When they took the old module apart it was corroded inside. If they find that is the problem, have them water test the back window.

jrmitt808

Reaction score
dam hope thats not the case....thanks for the heads up.

RamNV

Reaction score
My 2020 Limited 1500, etorque 5.8 had the exact same issue. Come to find out, there was a service bulletin out for the replacement of the RFH on my truck. The electrical problems ended up causing damage to the 12” uconnect...they tried replacing the screen, reflashing the computer and loading updates, nothing worked. I’ve been approved by FCA engineers for a complete uconnect replacement. Its been 2 weeks and still waiting for the parts to come in. It’s been a very frustrating experience.

AlJ

Reaction score
My 2020 Limited 1500, etorque 5.8 had the exact same issue. Come to find out, there was a service bulletin out for the replacement of the RFH on my truck. The electrical problems ended up causing damage to the 12” uconnect...they tried replacing the screen, reflashing the computer and loading updates, nothing worked. I’ve been approved by FCA engineers for a complete uconnect replacement. Its been 2 weeks and still waiting for the parts to come in. It’s been a very frustrating experience.
What type of issues were you having with your Uconnect? My RF Hub was replaced over a yr ago and I have been having sporadic issues on start-up ever since.

RamNV

Reaction score
It started with the cameras not connecting, then went into lighting problems with one headlight not working. Then the headlight started working, but only high beam. Then one side blinker went out...then it came back and the other blinker in the sideview mirror went out, causing fast blinking.

I couldn’t get the radio and dash to turn off after I turned off the truck, but i came out to start the engine every few hours to prevent the battery from totally draining. Unfortunately I ended up sleeping in on Sunday morning and I awoke to find the battery totally dead...nothing. Couldn’t jump it with a jump pack, so I went to buy a fresh battery. When I replaced the battery, the dash and radio had the appearance of a Ram Rebel...base unit with no accessories. All the functionality of my “Limited” was gone. No heated and cooled seats. No heated steering wheel. No Sirus XM...still no cameras. It was as though the computer lost all its recognition that the truck has all these accessories.

my truck has now been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They’ve tried everything and no dice. They’ve elevated the matter to more senior engineers at FCA. Hopefully they find out a solution soon. I think that I might have to get my attorney involved on this one...hopefully not. I love the truck, but this is crazy stuff!

AlJ

Reaction score
It started with the cameras not connecting, then went into lighting problems with one headlight not working. Then the headlight started working, but only high beam. Then one side blinker went out...then it came back and the other blinker in the sideview mirror went out, causing fast blinking.

I couldn’t get the radio and dash to turn off after I turned off the truck, but i came out to start the engine every few hours to prevent the battery from totally draining. Unfortunately I ended up sleeping in on Sunday morning and I awoke to find the battery totally dead...nothing. Couldn’t jump it with a jump pack, so I went to buy a fresh battery. When I replaced the battery, the dash and radio had the appearance of a Ram Rebel...base unit with no accessories. All the functionality of my “Limited” was gone. No heated and cooled seats. No heated steering wheel. No Sirus XM...still no cameras. It was as though the computer lost all its recognition that the truck has all these accessories.

my truck has now been at the dealer for 3 weeks. They’ve tried everything and no dice. They’ve elevated the matter to more senior engineers at FCA. Hopefully they find out a solution soon. I think that I might have to get my attorney involved on this one...hopefully not. I love the truck, but this is crazy stuff!
After reading your post, I am thinking the problems I am experiencing are not so bad. My truck only acts up 3 or 4 times a month, and almost always on the first start up of the day. The memory driver's seat does not adjust. The front windows will not operate, but the rear windows will work. The temperature automatically adjusts to 76 drgs, with the defrosters on full blast (not good in the summer) and can't be shut off or adjusted. The radio is off when the truck starts, but can be turned on, however, when you open the door, the radio does not shut off, but unlike your truck it will shut off when you press the knob. I have figured out that if I open and close the door, shut the truck off and wait, the radio will cycle and shut off. After that, I can start the truck and everything works. The dealer has done every software upgrade they can think of, and I am still having issues. Let me know if and how they resolve your issues. Like you said I love the truck when everything works like it should and I am not ready to leave it at a dealer for 3 weeks while they try to figure out how to fix it. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Reaction score
THE ABOVE reason I stayed with the lower trim and the 4C 8.4 radio and did not get the NAV, 12" U connect or stuff. I might not have all the extra Bling, but MY 19 Red Beast runs and keeps this BOIRD happy. MY only Big Complaint is the sub-standard AC, but that is another discussion in another thread.

ADDED: They have been having trouble with the 48V system also with the transformer drop (only way I could word it), down to 12V on trucks, There is allegedly a TSB somewhere, but since I only have straight 5.7, not know. Another reason IMHO, stay straight 5.7. Having a generator instead of alternator and step down stuff, dunno, lol... I hope U all get a resolution to yer problems. It is well documented, battery issues cause U Connect system to lose it's mind.

AlJ

Reaction score
THE ABOVE reason I stayed with the lower trim and the 4C 8.4 radio and did not get the NAV, 12" U connect or stuff. I might not have all the extra Bling, but MY 19 Red Beast runs and keeps this BOIRD happy. MY only Big Complaint is the sub-standard AC, but that is another discussion in another thread.

ADDED: They have been having trouble with the 48V system also with the transformer drop (only way I could word it), down to 12V on trucks, There is allegedly a TSB somewhere, but since I only have straight 5.7, not know. Another reason IMHO, stay straight 5.7. Having a generator instead of alternator and step down stuff, dunno, lol... I hope U all get a resolution to yer problems. It is well documented, battery issues cause U Connect system to lose it's mind.
Just going to throw this out there but mine is a 2019 Laramie with the straight 5.7 Hemi, 8.4 radio with Uconnect and NAV. You may not be totally immune, so keep your fingers crossed.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there but mine is a 2019 Laramie with the straight 5.7 Hemi, 8.4 radio with Uconnect and NAV. You may not be totally immune, so keep your fingers crossed.

I got a heck of a lot more faith in the tried and true straight 5.7's. Another reason just got straight 4C radio, no Lousy U Connect updates, lol. I check for all things like 3rd leaks, rear window and such. The only (2) issues I have was/are: (not counting the 3 recalls/corrected items).

AC drain leak: I started thread and pics on that issue.
Lousy AC. Since they re-engineered the 2019 DT's, no longer a HCV, use blend doors, lousy AC. SO there is a hack, couple monster threads on that also.

Users who are viewing this thread