5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram bighorn 5.7 engine problems

Tempu

Reaction score
I have a big horn and I wanted to see if anybody else has ever had this particular issue. The engine started to make a ticking sound as if it was a diesel. I took it into the dealership and after they broke down the engine they noticed that there were two lifters that were damaged.
Very disappointed
FYI no loaner vehicle 1 week and a half because its a “commercial “vehicle.

Attachments

• 420FD5CC-63F4-46FD-8208-BD98AE4EEE49.jpeg
    420FD5CC-63F4-46FD-8208-BD98AE4EEE49.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Hym8nce

Reaction score
@RamCares Is this something that frequents? I cant see the dealer not providing at least a loner car while they are trying to find the problem. Much less use the excuse that it is a "commercial vehicle" because it is a truck.

2wd

Reaction score
Was the oil level adequate? What mileage? You should also get a loaner that is unacceptable.

Sorry to hear this. These are tried and true engines of an older design - failures should be rare.

Tempu

Reaction score
Was the oil level adequate? What mileage? You should also get a loaner that is unacceptable.

Sorry to hear this. These are tried and true engines of an older design - failures should be rare.
8000 miles on it and full of oil, maintenance every 3k miles

Hym8nce

Reaction score

I totally agree this type of failure just isn't something I would expect.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Any check engine lights? Or just the audible click.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hym8nce

Reaction score
That’s garbage.

Shame to hear that. I have a ticking as well to boot.

It is just mind boggling to me that the dealer not only won't provide a loner while they try to find the cause but that FCA hasn't stepped in to provide a little assistance on finding a resolution. From what he was telling me they keep giving him the run around over the phone when he contacted them is the issues from the dealer.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
It is just mind boggling to me that the dealer not only won't provide a loner while they try to find the cause but that FCA hasn't stepped in to provide a little assistance on finding a resolution. From what he was telling me they keep giving him the run around over the phone when he contacted them is the issues from the dealer.

I’m not sure I would want that dealer touching truck but I guess we will all have to wait patiently in support and see what the outcome is

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One - the dealer isn't obligated in any way to provide a loaner. Some provide loaners to customers that bought the vehicle from them. Some provide loaners to anyone. But, there is no obligation.

Two - things break. I had a less than 3,000 mile 1999 Ford Lightning get the engine replaced. Severe piston slap. All covered under warranty. No loaner.

If I was in a position that I was unable to have access to an extra vehicle then I would make sure to purchase an extended warranty that provides loaners.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
One - the dealer isn't obligated in any way to provide a loaner. Some provide loaners to customers that bought the vehicle from them. Some provide loaners to anyone. But, there is no obligation.

Two - things break. I had a less than 3,000 mile 1999 Ford Lightning get the engine replaced. Severe piston slap. All covered under warranty. No loaner.

If I was in a position that I was unable to have access to an extra vehicle then I would make sure to purchase an extended warranty that provides loaners.

I guess you should consider yourself about 90% more understanding than the rest of the population.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the looks of it they are pulling the engine. Assume a new one is going in...???

As others have stated & I agree. This engine has been tried and polished up of miss haps of its previous gens. Should to be at the up most of reliability and lasting.
Mine has what I would call a valve train tick, but deeper just about a knock sound. And lower side in block. Be hard to direct specifically lower as the lifters sit in block. It’s frustrating, I know the hemi cold start ticker noise they say it’s to be normal and this is not it.

This has been just about since new I’ve heard this. Be after cold start. Rpms down to lower rest. Even 10min run time. Was told ‘normal operation’ least it’s documented. And so as long as it does it I’ll keep documented every time it goes in.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

That’s not necessarily correct. All Rams sold in Texas, for example, come with 4 oil changes and tire rotations in the first two years, with loaners provided for any service (at least for the first day). I purchase insurance through State Farm, which has a disagreement with FCA on loaners, so my dealership provides a complimentary rental through Enterprise instead.

I’m not saying this applies to the OP, but there’s most certainly a dealer obligation in my case.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
It sucks but unfortunately anything can happen. I know a guy who is a Chevrolet tech and he is replacing lifters, cam, etc. on the AFM 5.3's all the time. Also does a ton of work on new Duramax trucks.

As far as a loaner is concerned, the dealer should definitely provide you with one. My local dealer is small and I had to make a demand for a loaner when they had my truck for more than a day. They ended up renting me a truck from Enterprise.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
I guess you could say more understanding. I just grew up in a generation that had to earn/work for what they had. No freebies. No entitlement.

Oh nice. I’m glad I grew up where I had people feeding me grapes and gave me everything I wanted.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
It sucks but unfortunately anything can happen. I know a guy who is a Chevrolet tech and he is replacing lifters, cam, etc. on the AFM 5.3's all the time. Also does a ton of work on new Duramax trucks.

As far as a loaner is concerned, the dealer should definitely provide you with one. My local dealer is small and I had to make a demand for a loaner when they had my truck for more than a day. They ended up renting me a truck from Enterprise.
yes true. my 2016 silverado stuck a lifter at 19k miles and took out the cam. traded that pos in as soon as the dealer overhauled the engine.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not necessarily correct. All Rams sold in Texas, for example, come with 4 oil changes and tire rotations in the first two years, with loaners provided for any service (at least for the first day). I purchase insurance through State Farm, which has a disagreement with FCA on loaners, so my dealership provides a complimentary rental through Enterprise instead.

I’m not saying this applies to the OP, but there’s most certainly a dealer obligation in my case.
That isn't the dealers footing the bill for loaners. That's FCA reimbursing the dealers for the loaner, just as they are reimbursing the dealers for the oil changes. Just a regional deal FCA is doing. Texas is the pickup capital of the world. It's an additional incentive to get buyers into Ram trucks.
Believe me, the dealers aren't absorbing the loaner cost.

Users who are viewing this thread