5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 Uconnect 8.4

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
Greetings,
New to the forum.

I have the 8.4 without Nav.

How can I add navigation?

All of the videos online only reference the 2018 models.

Is there anything else I can add?

Any info would be appreciated!

Steve Broussard

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
Greetings,
New to the forum.

I have the 8.4 without Nav.

How can I add navigation?

All of the videos online only reference the 2018 models.

Is there anything else I can add?

Any info would be appreciated!

Steve Broussard

Yes familiar with adding the phone, etc. I use Apply CarPlay.

I have the 4 and not the 4C radio. Therefore I don’t believe I can add navigation.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I know that in the Silverados there is a module behind the glove box that can be replaced. I guess you have to replace both sections and make sure it's all wired in properly. I don't think the ram is any different as it has to have a module

So you may either have to replace the module or both which I don't know. The other part is finding where that module is located.

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
The non-Nav and Nav radios are made by two different companies. I don't think you can turn one into the other with any modules. They are two different builds. Can't add wings to a Ram and ask it to function like a Boeing.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nav can no longer be added to non-nav units as of 2019. As @MachineX mentioned, it's a physical difference, not software. It would be cost-prohibitive to add nav to your truck.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
The non-Nav and Nav radios are made by two different companies. I don't think you can turn one into the other with any modules. They are two different builds. Can't add wings to a Ram and ask it to function like a Boeing.

So what you would have to do is not only add the module but also the screen piece in the center.

MachineX

Reaction score
So what you would have to do is not only add the module but also the screen piece in the center.
You would have have to replace the whole head unit. I am not sure about the rest if the system... amp, wiring, etc. I don't know if those components are proprietary to the radios. It would be cheaper to buy what you want in the first place or go aftermarket at a stereo shop.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
You would have have to replace the whole head unit. I am not sure about the rest if the system... amp, wiring, etc. I don't know if those components are proprietary to the radios. It would be cheaper to buy what you want in the first place or go aftermarket at a stereo shop.

Which would cost probably $1,400 maybe more considering its new. Be better if there was a video on it for YouTube. But why would people want nav, I mean I have it on mine but either Apple carplay or Android may be better in this case.

MachineX

Reaction score
I did my research and went non-nav. I use my google maps like crazy in Germany and I have never found myself in any place I didn't want to be. I'm already paying for that cell service, why not use it? Besides, for those that have a phone these days, when have you ever jumped in your vehicle to go down the street and not have that device nearby.

Now if you are pocketing a flip phone, then get a garmin.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
Okay, what navigation system does RAM use because this navigation I have on my I Uconnect is really good

MachineX

Reaction score
Really good navigation is one thing, but I prefer my navigating with live traffic updates, reroutes before hitting trouble, up to date POI, etc.

RodRow

Reaction score
In my opinion, you don’t want the nav. I have it and it’s worthless to me as I always use Waze. Plus the nav comes with weather and traffic with annoying weather pop-ups until the free trial is up with Sirius.

jkratze1

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 Nav unit and I like the built-in navigation better than Google Maps or Waze. I think the unit just looks better too. I also like the connected features like start by phone and remote start so I am happy I got the Nav unit.

runamuck

Reaction score
I have the 8.4 with nav. and it works great. I always opt. for the nav. in any new vehicle I buy. I generally turn off the annoying voice before leaving the dealership and I use the nav screen as a reference when in town going to a new place and on the road. It is not rocket science to find your way to a town or city but then I can zoom in as necessary to get to a specific spot. I dont want the distraction of any loose itmes like cell phone or gps laying around or scabbed onto the dash somehow. I like being able to glance over to the big screen as needed. I ride a motorcycle some and I see a scary high % of people driving around looking at something in their console or lap and not out the front window of their vehicle. I choose not to be one of those. just my opinion YMMV

TonyHill376

Reaction score
On would think that the uconnet system would still allow remote start like onstar service does. I never subscribed to onstar but still could locate, start, and get diagnostics in my app. I’m on my 7th Dodge truck and messed up getting a Silverado. But some features were nice to have.

runamuck

Reaction score
I have used my phone to do remote start and unlock. I think that app has some other features too. I have sirius but I dont remember if you have to have it for the phone app to work.

Users who are viewing this thread