5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Uconnect 8.4

IRISHFOOTBALL

Reaction score
I do have an issue found tonight with my two month old Ram 1500 . Started it up and the Uconnect 8.4 screen had vertical lines on it , then went BLACK ... No Back Up cam nothing works ... Turn off engine tried it again , Screen is Black . What is the cause ? What is the fix ? 2019 bought it a month and a half ago just made my first payment and now I have a defect !

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The other owner said it reset over night and worked the next day... hope it comes back for you too. Either way though, take pictures when it happens and get thee in to service sir. Contact @RamCares if your service department won’t/can’t help.

Regardless whether it is only temporary losing the display in this truck is a big deal. This forum tried to determine the soft reset procedure for just such a case but I don’t recall if we ever got to a 100% certain method. Can any 5th gen owners out there confirm the correct reset procedure?

nlindste

Reaction score
I do have an issue found tonight with my two month old Ram 1500 . Started it up and the Uconnect 8.4 screen had vertical lines on it , then went BLACK ... No Back Up cam nothing works ... Turn off engine tried it again , Screen is Black . What is the cause ? What is the fix ? 2019 bought it a month and a half ago just made my first payment and now I have a defect !
I had the same thing happen to mine, unfortuantely it happened while on vacation. What I did was disconnect the negative wire from the battery, there is a software update for the radio which is supposed to fix the issue. My radio wouldn't take the update so they went and opened a STAR case and ordered a replacement radio which hopefully will be in soon.

Todd

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me yesterday, vertical lines and then went blank. Just found this thread this morning. I'm getting ready to go out and see if it's still not displaying. If not I'll try removing the neg battery side and check my results out. If nothing happens I'll be contacting my dealership.
Thanks for all the help from members of this forum!

nlindste

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me yesterday, vertical lines and then went blank. Just found this thread this morning. I'm getting ready to go out and see if it's still not displaying. If not I'll try removing the neg battery side and check my results out. If nothing happens I'll be contacting my dealership.
Thanks for all the help from members of this forum!

if you haven't disconnected the battery yet take a picture first so you can show the dealership and that way you can get the software update done.

Todd

Reaction score
if you haven't disconnected the battery yet take a picture first so you can show the dealership and that way you can get the software update done.
Works fine now. I never unhooked the neg side of the battery. As soon as I started the truck, my screen preformed as it had never messed up with those vertical lines and everything was as if it never happened. But definitely will take pictures if it happens again. I've just put 6,000 miles on it, and so far this is the first time it's done this crazy Uconnect blank/black out activity.

moonfire

Reaction score
I have an early build 2019 rebel I picked up on discount a few months ago and it just rolled over 2000 miles. In fact, when I turned it on last, it was at 2000.6 miles and I got vertical colored lines on just over half the screen on the right side. Turning off and on the power or vehicle didn't solve the issue until I let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then the screen loaded correctly but I could still see the vertical lines almost like burn in for a while. I made a few videos of the issues and will follow up with the dealer tomorrow to see if I can get some software update.

Raydar

Reaction score
I have found that when my radio is hot (as in "summer... sitting in the sun") and I stop and restart the truck several times in a row, that the radio (8.4. No NAV) will go black, and go off into never-neverland. It has never NOT recovered in a few minutes, however.
It's only done it a couple of times, but I'll bet I can reproduce it. I have always attributed it to shutting down and then powering back on before everything in the radio has had a chance to discharge. (I work on electronics as a career. Have seen some strange stuff.)

Edit - My Android Auto has quit working. Don't know if it's the head unit or my phone. (Galaxy S7.) Not really a show stopper, however, since the Bluetooth still works fine. I don't care too much for the interface, anyway. Kind of busy, these days, so it's way down the list of priorities.
Otherwise, everything pretty much seems to work. (The speakers are not the best - they distort and rattle at high volume - but it's the base system. If it gets too annoying, I may fiddle with the speakers and ANC.)
My 10 year old Pontiac Monsoon system, OTOH, is one of the better car systems I've ever owned. :p

Last edited:

Nateffb

Reaction score
I got the black screen vertical lines the first start up after picking the truck up from warranty brake replacement. I pulled right back up and they saw it and ordered a replacement screen. Got the swap done and with the replacement screen I can definitely tell the color temperature is off between it and the cluster display. Cluster is bright and crisp white and radio display is warm has a tinge of green. Has anyone with a replacement 8.4 non nav experienced this? The screen is working so I’m not throwing a fit, but I’d like for it to be the same(or like it was originally).

Users who are viewing this thread