5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Sudden Downshift at Highway Speed

pmblsmft

Reaction score
This keeps happening. I'm driving on the highway, 65 or faster, not in cruise, not towing, when without warning the transmission downshifts several gears. The deceleration is so hard it wants to throw me through the windshield. Then a second later it goes back to 8th gear like nothing happened, except my seat belt is stretched and my heart is racing like I just robbed a bank.

I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this, but I have never seen a resolution. Anyone have any ideas?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ouch. Any warning/check engine lights/codes?
I had a somewhat similar deal except mine happened at around 30mph and it got stuck in 3rd gear and stayed there. Got a check engine light right away too.
Dealer had to Recode something with the transmission, all under warranty. Haven’t had a problem since.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This keeps happening. I'm driving on the highway, 65 or faster, not in cruise, not towing, when without warning the transmission downshifts several gears. The deceleration is so hard it wants to throw me through the windshield. Then a second later it goes back to 8th gear like nothing happened, except my seat belt is stretched and my heart is racing like I just robbed a bank.

I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this, but I have never seen a resolution. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi @pmblsmft - We certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your Ram dealer, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for the dealer process.

Mark
RamCares

jeffgriffith

Reaction score

Question Has this problem been resolved? My 19 Ram 2500 did this yesterday. I thought the engine was gonna blow up. After pulling off the highway turning off the engine then restarting it, it at least shifted ok to get home but the engine warning light came and stayed on. Ram says it has a shift solenoid problem. Just waiting for confirmation.

Dan50

Reaction score
I had this happen today at highway speeds. Downshifted probably 3 or 4 gears. Pulled to
The side and put in park to reset. No codes or check engine lights and Trans temps were fine. It’s a 2021 1500 big horn. Any known fixes for this .

Users who are viewing this thread