5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Limited (drama)...

JrTwin

Reaction score
Where do I begin... I purchased my beautiful truck right off the showroom floor. 2019 Ram 1500 Limited Black. Every option you could think of... I’ve been driving Ram trucks for 12 years now, so I was looking forward to this upgraded truck.
1 week into my purchase and I already started having issues. The brakes squeal any speed above 30. Took the truck into the dealership. A few days later they came back, said they took the brakes apart and found dust in the brakes. I thought okay...Could be it was in the showroom... the blew out the brakes, put them back together and handed it back to me. The next day brakes were still loud as hell. Drove it back to the dealership. The Svc Mgr said he would personally see what was going on.. 2 days later I get the call. My rotors have heat spots on them from the manufacturer. No way... you just had my truck a few days ago, didn’t see this.. and now my truck has a defect from the plant. Okay. They replaced both front rotors and the pads. Said I was good to go. Drove the truck 150 feet down the street and started hearing a clunking sound. NOT when pressing the brakes... it was while I was accelerating or coasting. Turned around and brought it back. 2 days later they came back and said the tire rod was loose. And I was told this is normal on new trucks... no way this can’t be true... tightened me up and I was good...
But ever since I purchased the truck my mileage seemed off. I started keeping track of it. On average I get 8.6 - 10.4 mpg. Now this mpg is me taking the number of miles driven and dividing it by the number of gallons filled. After taking it to the dealership several times they could not find an issue.. so Chrysler came out. Suggested a reset of the computer system... that did not fix it. I’m at 2024 miles now and still getting horrible gas mileage. I just filled up and I got 9.6mpg. When I fill up the truck it shows I have 232 - 250 miles before empty. All of my other Rams had MUCH better mileage than this.
On top of all of these issues I’ve had numerous issues with the dealership. The put a dent in rear door... scratched up the grill and plastic housing over the engine (did this when they were doing a recall for the engine liner).
This has truly been the worst experience ever.
Anyone else have this type of experience? Chrysler suggested to the dealership that I drive it another 1000 miles to see if the mileage gets better. Sadly that is NOT an option I want to participate in. My expensive truck is now even more expensive with this poor gas mileage. I’ve opened a care case and hope to get some sort of resolution. D2E88768-0330-4BEC-842E-7F4F25E3AA04.jpeg

Attachments

• 168A75B6-2979-4806-BE65-959AD428AEA9.jpeg
    168A75B6-2979-4806-BE65-959AD428AEA9.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 291
  • 45D93DBA-C202-4F80-A7FF-A501289E7AA9.jpeg
    45D93DBA-C202-4F80-A7FF-A501289E7AA9.jpeg
    837.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 19BB78A1-7BEB-47BC-8F54-BCA308016AAB.png
    19BB78A1-7BEB-47BC-8F54-BCA308016AAB.png
    593.8 KB · Views: 284

JrTwin

Reaction score
Where do I begin... I purchased my beautiful truck right off the showroom floor. 2019 Ram 1500 Limited Black. Every option you could think of... I’ve been driving Ram trucks for 12 years now, so I was looking forward to this upgraded truck.
1 week into my purchase and I already started having issues. The brakes squeal any speed above 30. Took the truck into the dealership. A few days later they came back, said they took the brakes apart and found dust in the brakes. I thought okay...Could be it was in the showroom... the blew out the brakes, put them back together and handed it back to me. The next day brakes were still loud as hell. Drove it back to the dealership. The Svc Mgr said he would personally see what was going on.. 2 days later I get the call. My rotors have heat spots on them from the manufacturer. No way... you just had my truck a few days ago, didn’t see this.. and now my truck has a defect from the plant. Okay. They replaced both front rotors and the pads. Said I was good to go. Drove the truck 150 feet down the street and started hearing a clunking sound. NOT when pressing the brakes... it was while I was accelerating or coasting. Turned around and brought it back. 2 days later they came back and said the tire rod was loose. And I was told this is normal on new trucks... no way this can’t be true... tightened me up and I was good...
But ever since I purchased the truck my mileage seemed off. I started keeping track of it. On average I get 8.6 - 10.4 mpg. Now this mpg is me taking the number of miles driven and dividing it by the number of gallons filled. After taking it to the dealership several times they could not find an issue.. so Chrysler came out. Suggested a reset of the computer system... that did not fix it. I’m at 2024 miles now and still getting horrible gas mileage. I just filled up and I got 9.6mpg. When I fill up the truck it shows I have 232 - 250 miles before empty. All of my other Rams had MUCH better mileage than this.
On top of all of these issues I’ve had numerous issues with the dealership. The put a dent in rear door... scratched up the grill and plastic housing over the engine (did this when they were doing a recall for the engine liner).
Anyone else have this type of experience? Chrysler suggested to the dealership that I drive it another 1000 miles to see if the mileage gets better. Sadly that is NOT an option I want to participate in. My expensive truck is now even more expensive with this poor gas mileage. I’ve opened a care case and hope to get some sort of resolution.
E74B744F-68BB-4908-B2E6-9ACDC99408C4.jpeg 3C29425B-893A-413B-A452-A7EDD2F2CA36.jpeg 06B49823-9F2E-4FD8-B201-B7EC83B56657.png BFAA4EE2-D7DE-4868-86E8-DF14BB71A117.png B4F9DACA-65E1-458D-86A9-807C325470AC.jpeg

Last edited:

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Sounds like a combination of a bad build and very poor dealership service. I'd be just as gun-shy as you about FCA telling me to drive another 1000 miles with those issues!

On a side note, this is the brightest I've seen the LED strips on any Ram--this is how I thought they were all supposed to look like!

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gulp. Sorry for your initial experience.

I too have had some frustrations, and can relate after spending a kings ransom on a pickup. While in to repair a delivery door ding--which was fixed--the passenger side got riddled with 12 rock chips. That repair will come next week. The option packages I ordered were not "as promised," which was a disappointment (no RamCharger, Alpine, not HK stereo), and yesterday I discovered I am missing the front license plate mount.

As for MPG, that is really, really odd. I am getting 15 MPG average and 19-20 on the highway. From the threads posted, those numbers seem about right, so something is amiss. When I had my Corvette tuned, the guy connected the computer and drove with me for about 20 miles. I would request the dealer so something like that to get a good idea of what is really going on.

PS...great looking truck.

Polaris Man

Reaction score
Anyone else have this type of experience? Chrysler suggested to the dealership that I drive it another 1000 miles to see if the mileage gets better. Sadly that is NOT an option I want to participate in. My expensive truck is now even more expensive with this poor gas mileage. I’ve opened a care case and hope to get some sort of resolution.
View attachment 4075 View attachment 4076 View attachment 4077 View attachment 4078 View attachment 4079

Dealers and RAM have known about the brake issue for a while but have tried to hide it, when I picked up my truck beginning of July, my salesman (bought 3 new vehicles from him now) leaned over and very quitkey said check your brakes regularly. Why would he say that specifically and very quietly if there wasn't a known issue, how would a salesman even know that's an issue when that dealer had only sold a few 2019's at that point. I love my truck but ram dropped the ball with all the issues on these new trucks while raising the prices on them from the 4th gens.

Issues in my sport
- bad clunk since 700 kms
- Have to slam tail gate or it says it's open
- 1 tail gate cable way too short
- AC takes nearly 90 seconds to get cold (compared to a Jeep Wrangler we had that took 6 seconds)
- centre console squeak
-both fuel economy modes reset at same time
-Can't turn cargo light on while driving

Likely forgetting something as at this point the mental list is getting long.

Fwiw I have had NO brake squeal (4200 kms on truck now) and y gas mileage has been pretty good IMO, far better than my 2013 sport 6 speed with 3.92 was. I am around 1000 kms to a tank on the highway driving reasonably.

Most of the issues with mine can be fixed by software or adjusting of tailgate latches but the dealer hasn't done either both times it was there and frankly they should have to be done on a 70,000 dollar truck. It also leaves me wondering what is going to go wrong next.

On my 2013 the issues I had were
- 1 plastic hood scoop didn't fit properly (easy fix)
- 1 mirror puddle light chrome flaming off inside
- corroding hood (replaced)
- rusting driver
Side rear fender (replaced)
- rust arround park sensors in rear bumper (not warrantied)
- centre console squeaked (fixed)

There were NO software problems on that fully loaded truck, no suspension problems, everything fit well

John

Reaction score
Tell them if they want you to drive it another 1000 miles as a "test run" to give you a gas credit card!! That really sucks to have issues in a brand new EXPENSIVE truck! I am considering going from my Silverado to a new Ram because of the ongoing issues with it, now I'm not sure!!

John

immersivenc

Reaction score
Tell them if they want you to drive it another 1000 miles as a "test run" to give you a gas credit card!! That really sucks to have issues in a brand new EXPENSIVE truck! I am considering going from my Silverado to a new Ram because of the ongoing issues with it, now I'm not sure!!

John

If your Chevy isn’t giving you any trouble, don’t do it. My ram is junk. Big time buyer’s remorse. Currently seeking resolution under the lemon law.

Cluck

Reaction score

John

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have special orders for a new 2019 RAM and 2019 Silverado already priced and ready to go. Just have decided which one. Never even considered a GM for my next truck as we all know the new RAM offers so much more in regards to tech.
But reading these posts makes me so nervous. I also try to keep things in perspective and remember there are thousands of 2019 RAMS on the road now.. so 50 people with issues isn't that much. Just don't know... but I need to order in the next week..

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA has really Messed up on the launch of this truck.. They rushed it. I am really at the point that I don't enjoy the truck anymore. The knocking when turning has become all the time. If FCA was wanting to take the second spot with this truck they could had if they would had not rushed it and just drove a production truck for a few weeks. I hope they have a fix soon. Ill do e everything I can to get them to get the truck back if not. I have really tried to be positive and I knew to expect something but not to the level of what I have encountered. They really let me down. I have really loved my 13 so much its what sold me on the 19.

Oh well. Live and learn. 65 k and its an embarrassment. They should have a TSB about the knock already and they do not. They should be treating this truck like a Halo car honestly. Its a important vehicle for FCA and if it isnt taken care of then will affect them negatively. One guy has 250k views on his rant and Im about to start posting. I have videos from AC performance to knocking to car going nuts.

Ive lost my positivity. I tried. I really did. I wish I would had never bought my truck. Nice looks be damned interior be damned.. it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors at this point.

Cluck

Reaction score
wow... you do sound exhausted, sorry to hear.

JrTwin

Reaction score
FCA has really Messed up on the launch of this truck.. They rushed it. I am really at the point that I don't enjoy the truck anymore. The knocking when turning has become all the time. If FCA was wanting to take the second spot with this truck they could had if they would had not rushed it and just drove a production truck for a few weeks. I hope they have a fix soon. Ill do e everything I can to get them to get the truck back if not. I have really tried to be positive and I knew to expect something but not to the level of what I have encountered. They really let me down. I have really loved my 13 so much its what sold me on the 19.

Oh well. Live and learn. 65 k and its an embarrassment. They should have a TSB about the knock already and they do not. They should be treating this truck like a Halo car honestly. Its a important vehicle for FCA and if it isnt taken care of then will affect them negatively. One guy has 250k views on his rant and Im about to start posting. I have videos from AC performance to knocking to car going nuts.

Ive lost my positivity. I tried. I really did. I wish I would had never bought my truck. Nice looks be damned interior be damned.. it is a bunch of smoke and mirrors at this point.
What AC issue do you have? My ac won’t stay cold if at idle. The ONLY way to keep the family cooled off is to drive it in a lower gear and when stopped or in park I have to put the rpms at 1500 to get the ac to cool off. Dodge said there is NO issues.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What AC issue do you have? My ac won’t stay cold if at idle. The ONLY way to keep the family cooled off is to drive it in a lower gear and when stopped or in park I have to put the rpms at 1500 to get the ac to cool off. Dodge said there is NO issues.

AC just never EVER really cools off. I have a video I made that my 13 has been sitting a week. I get in and start measuring vent temp. within minutes its blowing 30 degrees. My new truck after driving all day its in the 50s. The AC here in 110 weather doesn't work.. It sucks to be blatantly honest. Also it doesn't work correctly. In terms of Auto. Auto and the way it sets the vent and the speed of the fan.. There is no difference in Recirc and normal in terms of speed. It just acts weird. it has issues and I know the dealer will just say it works as designed because that is what they have told everyone else that has gone.

Should have waited. I just never in a million years would have thought they would had let these trucks ship this way. I do NOT like Fords and like GM trucks even less than them. This was my dream truck. We all work extremely hard for what we have. No one gives us anything. For FCA to produce a Truck that has this price tag and let it be this problematic. awful. Shame on FCA. I don't know what to do. I can only be so patient. I have to leave my ac on MAX and cant use Auto.. I hate that. I am a AUTO ac guy thats all I use. I cant use it in this truck.

FCA I am not happy. I know you don't care. I will drive my 13 the rest of my life if Gm thinks what they came out with is nice. Because if my 19 doesn't get sorted out then Ill just never buy another new truck ever. Ford is out for me not from looks but just their dealers.

I really hate to have this attitude. Im just over it at this point. The Ac here in Texas is a MUST. I have 3 kids. We go everywhere in my truck. Sports all the time. We get in the truck after it being so hot and it just will NOT cool down. My 13 takes seconds.

Craftman

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles

Have 1500 miles on my Rebel with zero issues so far. Even the Aircon is working as expected. MPG average 15.5. Paid 52k. Did not what to get all the bells and whistles just in case of problems.

So far so good but you never know with the first year of production of the new model.

sactruck

Reaction score
I am also sorry to hear about your troubles. I only had one issue with my truck (backup camera worked intermittently). The dealer went out of their way to fix it and my salesman called me 2 days later to make sure it was fixed.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Man oh man this is no good. Knock on wood, so far so good over here with my Rebel. Yeah I gotta agree the ac is no good until you get moving but I haven't put a thermometer in the vent yet but I'll do that before I take it to the dealer to install my remote start. It gets as hot as the face of the sun in AZ. I sincerely feel your pain, my '17 2500 Cummings was a complete poop box. 3 recalls, leaky transmission, fried alternator, frozen p/s pump and the icing on the cake was the 5th gear servo died with 16k on the odo all within a year and a half of ownership.

Last edited:

JrTwin

Reaction score
AC just never EVER really cools off. I have a video I made that my 13 has been sitting a week. I get in and start measuring vent temp. within minutes its blowing 30 degrees. My new truck after driving all day its in the 50s. The AC here in 110 weather doesn't work.. It sucks to be blatantly honest. Also it doesn't work correctly. In terms of Auto. Auto and the way it sets the vent and the speed of the fan.. There is no difference in Recirc and normal in terms of speed. It just acts weird. it has issues and I know the dealer will just say it works as designed because that is what they have told everyone else that has gone.

Should have waited. I just never in a million years would have thought they would had let these trucks ship this way. I do NOT like Fords and like GM trucks even less than them. This was my dream truck. We all work extremely hard for what we have. No one gives us anything. For FCA to produce a Truck that has this price tag and let it be this problematic. awful. Shame on FCA. I don't know what to do. I can only be so patient. I have to leave my ac on MAX and cant use Auto.. I hate that. I am a AUTO ac guy thats all I use. I cant use it in this truck.

FCA I am not happy. I know you don't care. I will drive my 13 the rest of my life if Gm thinks what they came out with is nice. Because if my 19 doesn't get sorted out then Ill just never buy another new truck ever. Ford is out for me not from looks but just their dealers.

I really hate to have this attitude. Im just over it at this point. The Ac here in Texas is a MUST. I have 3 kids. We go everywhere in my truck. Sports all the time. We get in the truck after it being so hot and it just will NOT cool down. My 13 takes seconds.
I know what you mean by hot. I live in Las Vegas. Auto never works correctly either. Outside and recerc are the same with the truck. No difference. I hope FCA fixes this !!

Polaris Man

Reaction score
The AC doesn't work well in 80 degree weather either. Like I said, I timed 90 seconds after truck sat for 10 hours in the heat, after start up with AC on for it to cool off. The Jeep Wrangler the dealer rented me sat for 10 hours in the same heat wave, took exactly 6 whole seconds after starting it with AC on to be COLD, not cool. I can bare the AC since it isn't usually crazy hot for very long where I am, but it is just another thing that doesn't work as good as my 2013 did

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AC just never EVER really cools off. I have a video I made that my 13 has been sitting a week. I get in and start measuring vent temp. within minutes its blowing 30 degrees. My new truck after driving all day its in the 50s. .

I'm sure these problems suck, but no vehicle on the planet blows A/C that is well below freezing, that's an absurd claim.

John

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat as you. Have special orders for a new 2019 RAM and 2019 Silverado already priced and ready to go. Just have decided which one. Never even considered a GM for my next truck as we all know the new RAM offers so much more in regards to tech.
But reading these posts makes me so nervous. I also try to keep things in perspective and remember there are thousands of 2019 RAMS on the road now.. so 50 people with issues isn't that much. Just don't know... but I need to order in the next week..
Unfortunately, with my luck I would be one of the 50 with all the issues!! Have had enough problems with my Silverado LTZ, not sure about starting ALL OVER!

Wnorris

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie longhorn, bad brake squeak, at 3,000 miles, they replaced my pads and turned the rotors, lasted 2 days, the squeak is back . Tried to find replacement pads from different company,but none available yet. Crazy this can't be fixed. Kind of embarrassing to drive. My gas milage is around 17 mog. Other than that love the truck

Users who are viewing this thread