5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Laramie - Buyer's Remorse

RamRef

Reaction score
Hello, brand new to this forum... Today, I placed an order with my dealer for a 2019 Laramie 4x4 (build sheet attached). Upon congratulating me for my order, the dealer knew I was a bit hesitant on buying a Ram and he referred me to this site. Long story short, I've owned Ford trucks all my life with one exception.....that was a 2014 Ram 2500 Diesel and had nothing but problems with it. Owned that truck less than a year and went back to Ford....I'm not really brand loyal to Ford but I have never had an issue with my Ford trucks....I buy what works. I drive 25,000+ miles a year and decided to look at Ram again for the cabin comfort and additional interior space.....the 2019 Ram is a beautiful vehicle! I do find the F-150 a bit fatiguing to drive long distances. However, looking through this forum I see issues posted about the eTorque system, low MPG, 12" nav screens flickering, transmission problems, etc. Reading these issues, and a poor history with my last Ram truck, I'm starting to regret my decision today and thinking of canceling my order. MPG is probably my number one concern with the amount of miles I drive. The F-150 I currently own gets 21.9 MPG combined (hand calc, V6 ecoboost) and seeing Hemi's with 12-14MPG makes me cringe. The dealer sold me on the eTorque system to get better MPG. I pulled the trigger on this Ram truck primarily because I contracted the order for $13,340 off the MSRP ($8,090 in dealer incentives + $5,250 in rebates). The dealer also offered to "protect" me if the rebates went down between now and the time it was delivered so the price is locked in. An equivalent 2019 F-150 was $4,500 more, my neighbor, a loyal Ram owner said I was nuts if I didn't take this deal. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance here :) I know every manufacturer has "lemons" but I was surprised to see the number of posts with "issues" on the 2019 Ram given the glowing media reviews. Please tell me these problems are the exception and not the norm. Appreciate any comments on the build or advice overall....have 48 hours to cancel the order if I want, thinking long and hard about this. Probably won't sleep a wink tonight :) . Thanks again!

Attachments

• NewBuild2.jpg
    NewBuild2.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 243

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure others with more experience may offer more reassurance, but here's my take. Going from an Eco V6 to a 5.7 V8, you will sacrifice MPG, no way around that. I have the Laramie 4x4 with e-Torque and I'm getting 18 combined MPG, over my first 5,000 miles with leaving auto start activated. That's also driving casual, at speed limit, not revving my engine at stoplights and making fast starts so everyone can hear how loud my exhaust is, like so many guys feel they need to do lol.

My company fleet was F-150's and Fusions for years, and every one of them had issues. The Fusions were total junk, straight up. I had to replace my survey crew's F250 after only 2 years, due to constant electrical problems. One of the 150's kept going to the shop for alignments on the front end, even though it was only subjected to light offroad use. Our fleet is now Rams and base Chargers, and they have been much more reliable. Our 2017 Ram 2500 handles pulling our 26' aluminum survey boat better that than the F250 did.

No one misses our Ford fleet.

Kungfubhuda

Reaction score
I can't say too much to the RAM reliability over others (although I do recall that a 2500 model from a few years ago was ranked terribly), but you're probably going to find lots of issues posted about any vehicle in a forum. It's just a good place to ask for help.

As far as mileage, $4,500 buys a lot of gas. Assuming $2.50/gallon, that's 1,800 gallons. Even getting just 15 mpg, that covers your pump costs for 27,000 miles... Plus, I'm guessing the V-8 is a more powerful engine.

Sell it at the end of your warranty if it sucks?

CompuDav

Reaction score
I almost didn’t get one because of the negative experiences posted here. But I can say hands down so far the Ram is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I’m not using it in quite the same way you are but for the amount I do drive it it’s an absolutely amazing feeling.

But I only have 500 miles on it. I will say though I would be very willing to deal with a few issues here and there to get a ride quality that is far above and beyond anything else on the market in this price range.

It is a new model year truck. There are bound to be some issues. I can guarantee when Ford redesigns the F-150 they will have issues in those models too.

So I’d say, sit back, wait for your Ram, and when it comes, enjoy it.

Signed, a fellow Laramie owner who owned two Fords prior to this purchase.

kjn86

Reaction score
You have to remember that the kind of people who post on boards like this are passionate about something, whether they LOVE their truck or HATE their truck. The guy who drives around all day and has a pleasant experience isn't motivated to come to a place like this. It's enthusiasts or dissatisfied people. Dissatisfied people probably post a lot too. Same with product reviews or restaurant reviews. If you went out to eat and everything was fine, you may not be as motivated to go to Yelp and review then the one who had a great experience...or a terrible one. Pulled the trigger on mine and other than some minor things, I love the truck. I would 100% buy again with a few modifications to the truck that I had to learn through usage honestly. If had to spend that many miles in the truck, Ram is the way to go without a doubt for quality of life comforts. Enjoy it!

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I just picked up my 4th Ram (Dodge) truck last week, this one is an absolutely loaded Limited that I ordered in January. I've also owned Fords and Chevys and have found the Ram to best suit my needs, and have been most happy with this brand.

My new Limited is simply an amazing vehicle! Features, ride, fit and finish are superb. Despite the complexity of it, and what is reported online, NONE of the common problems reported here have surfaced in my truck. Of course its new and anything can happen, but I must say that I'm appreciating this truck for what it is. No regrets!

Mdinana

Reaction score
I recommend Datsun...
My first car was a '76 280z. I started driving it in 94, from my grandfather.

8 track didn't work, A/c didn't work, AM/FM didn't work ... but that straight 6 was great!

To the OP, I have a quad cab and get around 19mpg on highway, about 15-16 around town, same as my 2013 Ram 1500 quad cab. Considering it's a V8, not a V6 Ecoboost, I'm happy.

Can't speak to the other problems, mine's been fine in the first 7K miles (crossing fingers).

grinch72

Reaction score
I've found that when I consistently get on the pedal I easily see the 12-14MPG you are talking about HOWEVER, while driving normally I get 18 in the city and an easy 21 on the highway. By easy I mean auto start/stop left on, 2WD, 5mph over the speed limit, cruise control where I can and just let the truck do it's thing. I would say go for it. I don't think you will be sorry. And like others have said, $4500 buys a crap ton of gas IF you need it. Drive it normal and you shouldn't!

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
1150 miles and no issues at all on my Ram; also my first FCA vehicle since a 2000 Chrysler something-or-other sedan (that did not have any issues). I admit to having doubts (just look at the "how's your Ram running" poll that show less than 50% with no issues at all) but kjn86 is correct, forum people are the most nitpicky bunch around; just take a look at some of the thread titles! If you're that worried about MPG, get the V6. Otherwise, get a Geico or Ziegler extended warranty and enjoy the ride!

Vic

Reaction score
That looks like a great deal and a very nice truck.
I don't have the e-torque, but I have a 3 mile commute every day, which kills my gas mileage, and I'm still getting 17 mpg average after 2,500 miles. I absolutely love driving this truck too.
I really like this forum -- and there are a lot of OCD people on here. At the same time, this is the first year of a new model, so there'll be issues. Check your fit and finish closely when it comes in (you should be well-prepared for that after hanging out here for a while) and point out anything you find to the dealer. I had one minor fit and finish item that I didn't notice until 4 months after purchase, and the dealer just fixed it to perfection for me under warranty.

ClancyO

Reaction score
This is my first Dodge, Chrysler, FCA, MOPAR - whatever you want to call it. (I grew up a ford guy, but haven't really owned one in forever.) First - what others have said - this is a place people come to complain and look for solutions, I'd be willing to bet the majority of happy owners have never been here.. Second - for the life of me I do not understand why someone driving a 5500lb vehicle is worried about a few mpg. My last truck, a Nissan, did 12.5 on a good day. I took a job with a 60 mile round trip so I bought a beater. The beater only gets ~25, but it has 3 pedals, 225 hp and the roof comes down.. Third - the old adage - 'there is no replacement for displacement.' Your ecoboost returned awesome mileage, so its clear you babied it. If you drive the 5.7 the same way you'll probably see 18+ as other have said.. Ford (and others) are getting massive HP numbers from small displacement engines because they are absolutely wringing the engines neck with boost. Everyone know you don't boost the crap out of an engine and expect it to live a long and healthy life. Put twin turbos on the Hemi, LS or Coyote and look at those numbers! Now drive them 150,000 miles and get back to me. I wouldn't consider a truck without a v8, because I plan on keeping it 10-15 years.. I wouldn't consider a truck if mileage was my concern. I bought a truck because I need a truck, I use 4x4, I haul stuff, I tow stuff, I LOVE having a truck, and some things don't need to be justified - Yippee-ki-yah, and all that.

Ride, comfort, and attention to detail, I feel the Ram blows away the competition. Will it last? I dunno yet either, but I know that the main systems, while perhaps dated, are also extensively proven. I would hope that FCA has managed to work the kinks out of the 5.7 since they've been building it this long now. Sleep well, you will enjoy your new Laramie!!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never reset the "Trip 2" counter in my ram. I am almost at 6,000 mile with an average MPG of 17.3. The absolute worst mileage that I have ever gotten out of a tank was 14.8. My average is around 17.0 with daily driving to work in a city/suburb environment with a lot of traffic and lights. On the highway I usually get 18.0 MPG if I keep it below 75 MPH; and 19.5 MPG under 68 MPH. It's all about how you drive it.
There are some quality issues that I am not pleased with; but my dealer has been very good about resolving my problems. Sometimes the quality things irritate the heck out of me. But it is a very comfortable and relaxing ride and makes my commute much more tolerable.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I came from a GMC (solid truck, 160k miles). I cross-shopped all brands, particularly the Sierra Denali, F-150 King Ranch and Limited, and Ram Limited and (Laramie) Longhorn.

I’m now 4,500 miles into my loaded, factory-ordered Longhorn. Aside from a couple of minor/cosmetic issues, the truck has been trouble-free since delivery in September. And we still think it’s the best overall package in the half-ton segment. It’s also easily the most comfortable and tech-friendly vehicle we’ve owned.

memopad

Reaction score
My tuck has been awesome so far. I've only had it a couple weeks and have less than 200 miles on it :p My average mpg so far is around 12.5, BUT that's me warming up the truck in the morning because it's been -20f, 0 in the day, cold as hell. Also my commute to work is maybe a mile and a half at 25mph with lots of stop signs and lights and big hills. This past week it's warmed up into the 40's finally, and I've noticed the eco light turning on more often. Cruising down level highway at 60mph it looks like my average is closer to 20mpg, maybe a little more. Eco mode doesn't stay on at 60mph yet, but it might once the truck has more run time.

RamRef

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone for their quick replies, they were SUPER helpful. (Moosem) is probably right.....I'm overthinking this too much. I tend to do that when I spend $50,000 on anything....LOL. (Vic) also mentioned this is a good place for OCD people to post......I'll fit right in, that describes me perfectly when it comes to my truck. This is a great forum and I will keep the order I placed. Will be back on here in 4-6 weeks when the new truck comes in and post some pics. Thanks again!

Coz

Reaction score
I traded a 2015 F150 Lariat with 30k miles for my Ram a month ago. My F150 developed the problem with the integrated wheel ends vacuum leak and had it in 3 times in 9 months. They had it about a week each time. Last time I took it in I told myself if they can't find the problem I am done with it and moving on. Really enjoyed that truck but enough was enough.

Apples to apples comparison, my current mpg is about 3 less than the 3.5 ecoboost was this time of year. Getting about 14 in mixed driving. And that is with me being very purposeful trying to maximize it in the new Ram. I do have the off road package with all terrain tires etc, and I am hopeful that will get better as the drive train breaks in. Really enjoying it tho, and no issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread