5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Laramie 1500 Not Shifting Out of 1st Gear

SmokiesRAM

Reaction score
I purchased my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L in October of 2021 with 39,000 miles on it. During the first week, after starting cold, it would not shift out of 1st gear. I stopped, put it in Park and then back to Drive. It fixed the problem. It didn't happen again until last week and it happened twice, once with me, once with my wife. The service guys at the dealer had never heard of this happening, but my sales guy had. They updated the software and said to come back if it happens again and they would see if they could figure it out.

After searching online, I see there are other owners who have had this same problem, but I haven't seen any resolutions. Someone said it could be due to accidentally hitting the Gear +/- button on the steering wheel. Any other insight?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
At least one member has reported having the same issue and it turned out to be the battery. Low voltage will cause strange things to happen on these trucks. Not saying that's your problem, but it would be worth checking out (assuming you are not hitting the +/- button LOL).

SmokiesRAM

Reaction score
At least one member has reported having the same issue and it turned out to be the battery. Low voltage will cause strange things to happen on these trucks. Not saying that's your problem, but it would be worth checking out (assuming you are not hitting the +/- button LOL).
Thanks, Mike!

Limited2021

Reaction score
Just wondering if you have had this problem again or found out a fix? I just had this happen to me again. The first time it happened was several months ago and I just thought it was a fluke. Then this weekend it happened again on me.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
Just wondering if you have had this problem again or found out a fix? I just had this happen to me again. The first time it happened was several months ago and I just thought it was a fluke. Then this weekend it happened again on me.
Mine just did it but was after I needed a jump. Bought a new battery and I’m good to go now.

Users who are viewing this thread