5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GMC Sierra AT4 gives Raptor and Ram a new off-road rival

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
at4-front-black-shortbedver2-1-1.jpg

The 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 blends off-road hardware into a modern, thoroughly updated pickup truck that doesn't skimp on power, luxury, or safety equipment. From its higher suspension setup to its available carbon-fiber cargo bed and the new MultiPro tailgate, the 2019 Sierra AT4 is a direct shot across the bow — or cargo beds, if you prefer — of staunch rivals like the Ford F-150, Dodge Ram and Toyota Tundra.Revealed tonight in New York City, ahead of this week's New York International Auto Show, the truck may seem to be in a strange setting. Then again, with the amount of tire-swallowing potholes currently scattered around the Big Apple, a rugged truck like the Sierra AT4 could be the perfect vehicle for either off-road excursions or an especially bumpy commute.Riding two inches higher than the standard 2019 Sierra, the AT4 comes with standard features like all-wheel-drive with a two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential, Rancho monotube shock absorbers designed specifically for off-roading, along with skid plates and 18- or 20-inch alloy wheels fitted with all-terrain tires or optional, mud-loving Goodyear Wrangler Duratecs.
2019-gmc-sierra-at4-028-1.jpg
Hill descent control and GMC's Traction Select system are also standard. The latter of these two lets the driver choose between preset drive modes, suitable for various types of terrain and weather conditions. The system then adjusts throttle response, shift points, and the electronic stability control according to each mode."The 2019 Sierra AT4 is designed for the customer who wants an elevated presence on the road and the capability to venture off life's beaten path," said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. "It's also the beginning for the AT4 brand, which will be seen on every vehicle in our lineup in the next two years."Based on the new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado, the GMC Sierra (including the AT4 model) looks to stand out from its corporate cousin in terms luxury touches, along with some subtle exterior details. For the AT4, these visible differences include a body color grill surround and bumpers. Meanwhile, the inner grille, front fog-lights and faux fender vents feature a black-chrome finish. It's not flashy, which is probably exactly what GMC wanted for its upscale truck.The standard engine is a 5.3-liter V8, though buyers can choose an optional 3.0-liter turbo-diesel inline-six or 6.2-liter V8. These two engines both come fitted to a 10-speed automatic gearbox, while the 5.3-liter is paired to an eight-speed.There are plenty of options to choose from, including safety-conscious choices like a surround-view camera, blind spot alerts, automatic low-speed emergency braking, and lane change alerts. Convenience features include a head-up display, as well as a lightweight cargo bed constructed partly out of carbon-fiber.This cargo bed, called the CarbonPro, uses carbon-fiber composite in the floor and inner panels, to help trim approximately 60 lbs. of weight compared to a traditional, all-steel bed construction. GMC has even molded in three wheel indents into the forward section of the bed, for those truck owners who routinely haul motorcycles and quads.
2019-gmc-sierra-at4-027-2-1.jpg
Another intriguing item that comes standard on the GMC Sierra AT4 is the new MultiPro tailgate. This handy feature flips and folds itself into six different configurations, making life much simpler when it comes to loading up the cargo bed, or working from the road. Combined with the CarbonPro cargo bed, GMC is making a good case for itself as being a leader when it comes to taking the stress out of heavy-hauling in a pickup.The 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 goes on sale this fall. Exact pricing will be announced closer to the truck's on-sale date.https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/26/2019-gmc-sierra-at4-revealed-off-road-922549/

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the best looking version of the new GM trucks I've seen. The wheels and tires look massively undersized and the wheel wells look ridiculous. I'm surprised they didn't call the grille black chromepro, and the lift 2 inch liftpro. I could be wrong but I don't see these trucks doing well unless the powertrains are seriously impressive when they release the numbers.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
i agree. i actually don't mind the exterior. needs 2" bigger tires. the interior though... looks like a urinal at 1982 hockey rink.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
mikemcfarland said:
i agree. i actually don't mind the exterior. needs 2" bigger tires. the interior though... looks like urinal at 1982 hockey rink.
I have no idea what they were thinking trying to pass off that interior in this day and age.

EDIT: This is what I see when I look at those gauges.

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
I didn't think it was that bad . . . but it does not appeal to me. While I don't favor the look of the wheel wells, there does seem to be ample clearance there. This is an improvement over the existing GM style inverted press squared off fender look they've been running with the last few years. But that's like saying water colors are better than stick figures. It is mere preference and has nothing to do with quality nor performance and the look may appeal to others, but I have never found it appealing.I'll give credit where credit is due - the interior is a clean, uncluttered look. The Ram interiors, by comparison though, are things of beauty. I agree that the gauges . . . cause some head scratching because they are so dull . . . They did the same thing with the Camaro interiors. I actively dislike they way those things look in the inside. Those rectangular style gauges may satisfy the retro cravings of a few, but to me that is one aspect of a vehicle that should have been left back in the 80s (at the latest . . .).More would need to be known, but I don't see this swaying anyone away from a Ram. The Rebel is a much nicer looking truck, but again, give credit where credit is due - they did put a 6.2L in it, which will no doubt provide a power advantage until the 7.0L TRX is available.

D

Deleted member103

VoiceOfReason said:
I didn't think it was that bad . . . but it does not appeal to me. While I don't favor the look of the wheel wells, there does seem to be ample clearance there. This is an improvement over the existing GM style inverted press squared off fender look they've been running with the last few years. But that's like saying water colors are better than stick figures. It is mere preference and has nothing to do with quality nor performance and the look may appeal to others, but I have never found it appealing.I'll give credit where credit is due - the interior is a clean, uncluttered look. The Ram interiors, by comparison though, are things of beauty. I agree that the gauges . . . cause some head scratching because they are so dull . . . They did the same thing with the Camaro interiors. I actively dislike they way those things look in the inside. Those rectangular style gauges may satisfy the retro cravings of a few, but to me that is one aspect of a vehicle that should have been left back in the 80s (at the latest . . .).More would need to be known, but I don't see this swaying anyone away from a Ram. The Rebel is a much nicer looking truck, but again, give credit where credit is due - they did put a 6.2L in it, which will no doubt provide a power advantage until the 7.0L TRX is available.
Hey / Hi VOR I do agree with. "More would need to be known, . . .," IF I were "interested" in such a beast, but being born & raised from Chrysler/Plymouth/ Dodge I find it difficult to even look at the Others Models ! Weird ? Perhaps ! My objective in buying another 1500 is for the best mpg's I can get AND a nicely appointed Interior that is Functional without being overbearingly "done". IT also must have Nice
On-Road manners AND Purposeful/steady Off-Road agility . For Me that equates to (full disclosure -'C.P.D' roots) the RAM DT with the Off-Road 4X4 package + ! If I were 25 years younger I'd straddle myself with some "debt" and get the Rebel with a few options, but at 67 I no longer have that need to release those "tensions," but I'm still "excited for the Big Horn Build I want for taking me off the beaten path to enjoy some of those unfettered-by-smog night skies waking up to a fresh perked pot of "cowboy/Navy Coffee" (if there even is such a thing?) !
1f609.png

The coefficient of drag can't be better with the huge flat face !? The mpg's won't be better than "My" V6 with eTorque & 8-spd. ! The one thing I do find interesting, in a good way, is the carbon fiber bed . That is something RAM should of thought of to reduce further weight too !
What always "Bugs" me is finding way to many, let's call them similarities, ok, similarities upon looking at the Interior & exterior - makes me wonder if Vendors are sharing ideas with ALL the manufacturers in order to make Their lives a bit easier !? For instance - the steering wheel, the layout of the dash, the center console, the little curve to the rear door window, . . . !? Of course it could be said maybe RAM Spies took these ideas from "them" !? However I feel RAMS Execution of the end product WORKS Wonderfully well and theirs does not IMO of course !

RAM is NOT overstated nor understated - it's hit that "sweet spot" again IMO ! There's always gonna be GMC folk, Chevy folk, Ford folk, and yup even the "also rans" folk, but my guts & glory are more in line with the wonderful heritage behind the Dodge Boys and the Jeeps ! Gotta be, I was almost born in a Chrysler/ Dodge ( I can't remember which any more ? Hmmm, must be getting old . . . . Hitch up that stallion to the wagon dear, time to get to town and trade this here old tiller for one of them new fancy ITALIAN Espresso machines !
263a.png

icon_lol.gif

1f609.png

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is a nice engine I'll say that, should work well with the 10 speed behind it as well.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOU.2 said:
<h3>I GIVE UP, I SURRENDER, YOU WIN . . . WHAT DOES MAKE a "2019 GMC SIERRA 1500 AT4 OFF ROAD TRUCK" </h3>
<h3>SO DAMN "SPECIAL" ? Nah, not really, I personally couldn't care less, but I have a feeling your gonna tell us anyway . . . ! ?
263a.png

263a.png

1f609.png
or not
1f914.png
?</h3>
LOL I am a Rebel man

D

Deleted member103

redriderbob said:
LOL I am a Rebel man
RAM REBEL or just a Rebel ? SO much "love" given here (by you) for this GMC thing . . . just a slight "hair on the back of my neck" astir by that, but by and large I'm well past "mixed emotions" - all seems to be Good !
263a.png

1f44d.png

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
only because its a competitor to the Rebel... I am a Mopar guy. I personally think it and Trail Boss look dorky with a two inch lift with those little tires. At least with the air suspension, Rebel can look normal on the street.

(see attachment)

I have been so hyped up about DT the past year and a half after first seeing it. There is a reason I chase these trucks around.

Attachments

• IMG_20180327_234116_172.jpg
    IMG_20180327_234116_172.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 156
D

Deleted member103

redriderbob said:
only because its a competitor to the Rebel... I am a Mopar guy. I personally think it and Trail Boss look dorky with a two inch lift with those little tires. At least with the air suspension, Rebel can look normal on the street.

(see attachment)

I have been so hyped up about DT the past year and a half after first seeing it. There is a reason I chase these trucks around.
MY MY MY-GOSH . . . Bob "opens up" again, so refreshing !
263a.png
! Why I remember, not to many days ago we were "at odds" all because I didn't know where you were coming from; and now I "get it" -- Nice Dirty-Rebel shot, just as Nature intended !
1f609.png

263a.png
I'm a tiny bit jealous . . . if only I could muster another 5 grand I'd get the Rebel as well, well, pretty sure ?

D

Deleted member 85

You know we talk a lot on these forums about how FCA has spent too much time following and not leading, typically when referring to cars. On the flip-side, Ram has everybody chasing us now, with the only real "follower" being a TRX to take down the Raptor. Otherwise, Rebel has spawned the AT4/Chev equivalent (don't even remember the name because it is so unremarkable), and likely a full interior overhaul for both Ford and Chev in the next 2-3 years to catch up to Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread