5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Dodge Ram making a weird noise since our road trip

JimmySchaefer3

Reaction score
We drove from Indiana to Alabama this past weekend and about 2/3 of the way down here, we hear a sound that sounds like a pressure release every 5-8 seconds while driving with the air conditioner on. we stopped and turned the air off and didn't hear it. Turned the air back on and after a very short while, I hear a small pressure release every 5 seconds on average. I bought this truck from the dealer 2 months ago so don't know a lot of background on it so not sure if this is normal for the 5th gen dodge or if something is wrong.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I haven't noticed anything like that with mine but to be fair I usually have the stereo turned up so maybe that's why I haven't heard it .

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does it sound like more air pressure coming from passenger side vent? Like someone turned the vent speed up temporarily? Mine does this every 30 minutes or so on longer trips. There is a thread on this issue which seems to be normal.; however every 5 seconds may be something else.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We drove from Indiana to Alabama this past weekend and about 2/3 of the way down here, we hear a sound that sounds like a pressure release every 5-8 seconds while driving with the air conditioner on. we stopped and turned the air off and didn't hear it. Turned the air back on and after a very short while, I hear a small pressure release every 5 seconds on average. I bought this truck from the dealer 2 months ago so don't know a lot of background on it so not sure if this is normal for the 5th gen dodge or if something is wrong.
The 19’s definitely have a/c issues!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do you have pics? I've heard stories about the existence of this mythical 5th gen Dodge, but so far all I've seen are 5th gen Rams. :devilish:

Sounds like you could have an issue with one of the vacuum actuators in the HVAC system. You might want to have a service tech look at it.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
Do you have the air suspension? This has happened to me before (not every 5 sec. thou) and my dealer said it was normal behavior from the suspension. I thought it was releasing air into the atmosphere but they said it didn't, it's a closed system.

JimmySchaefer3

Reaction score
Does it sound like more air pressure coming from passenger side vent? Like someone turned the vent speed up temporarily? Mine does this every 30 minutes or so on longer trips. There is a thread on this issue which seems to be normal.; however every 5 seconds may be something else.
it is a pressure release sound coming from under the hood it sounds. We don't really feel a change in the air flow or anything. It was almost every 5 seconds but the last 2 times I've driven it locally, it didn't do it.

Dman2983

Reaction score
Do you have the air suspension? This has happened to me before (not every 5 sec. thou) and my dealer said it was normal behavior from the suspension. I thought it was releasing air into the atmosphere but they said it didn't, it's a closed system.
I had the same sound twice while unhooking a trailer, and there was a distictive smell from the air released. At the time, I assumed the smell was nitrogen. I took it to the dealership and they said it's an open system with an air pump. It's normal for the system to release excess pressure. However everything I've read says it's a closed system with nitrogen. Did you ever get your issue resolved? Also does anyone know for sure if it's an open or closed system?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had the same sound twice while unhooking a trailer, and there was a distictive smell from the air released. At the time, I assumed the smell was nitrogen. I took it to the dealership and they said it's an open system with an air pump. It's normal for the system to release excess pressure. However everything I've read says it's a closed system with nitrogen. Did you ever get your issue resolved? Also does anyone know for sure if it's an open or closed system?
I don't have the air suspension on this Rebel but my 4th gen Rebel had it and i can tell you that it was not a closed system . All the info on it said it was . From what I've heard and read about the 5th gen they redesigned the air ride but I don't know for sure if it is in fact a closed system .

Dman2983

Reaction score
I don't have the air suspension on this Rebel but my 4th gen Rebel had it and i can tell you that it was not a closed system . All the info on it said it was . From what I've heard and read about the 5th gen they redesigned the air ride but I don't know for sure if it is in fact a closed system .
Ok thank you for the quick response. I'll look into it further.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
The truck hasn’t made the sound again so I have not taken it back to the dealer.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Just got home from a 1,000 mile road trip with the A/C on the entire time. Mine did the release thing on the passenger side every so often. Lasted about 10 seconds each time and then whatever it was would close back up. Weird.

Quint

Reaction score
Same thing. I did a 700mile road trip to Milwaukee and started hearing it on the drive back with A/C on. I was able to kill the noise immediately by turning off the A/C, so I can 100% say that it has something to do with A/C. My 2021 Bighorn truck does not have air suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread