5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crash Test Ratings

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm assuming they tested the low-end halogen headlights? I couldn't be happier with the Limited lights and no way could they not score them highly.
Yeah Ram should have made the LED reflector the standard headlight. Optioned the adaptive LED's on the Laramie and made them the standard on the Limited. The Led reflectors in the Laramie are much better than the LED projectors I had in my GMC. I want to say IIHS gave the GMC LED projector a marginal back in 2016.

Cannonball

Reaction score
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ram/1500-crew-cab-pickup/2019?print-view

Interesting data points on the headlight test towards the bottom of the full report.

Turns out the Limited & Longhorn LEDs scored far worse than the other headlights. Glare seems to be the main factor. Low beam distance blew away the other trim levels though. "1000% over glare threshold" seems a bit over the top.

Has anyone had any issues with glare from the biLEDs?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to see the new design does well in the crash tests. Being 6'8" my legs are close to the dash and the increased safety of this truck was one reason for trading in my 2014.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ram/1500-crew-cab-pickup/2019?print-view

Interesting data points on the headlight test towards the bottom of the full report.

Turns out the Limited & Longhorn LEDs scored far worse than the other headlights. Glare seems to be the main factor. Low beam distance blew away the other trim levels though. "1000% over glare threshold" seems a bit over the top.

Has anyone had any issues with glare from the biLEDs?

Damn my headlights suck apparently. I thought they were pretty good.
The problem with their headlight test is that it is biased towards passenger cars, where the headlights are located physically lower on the vehicle this allows them to project out much farther while keeping the cutoff line below the Glare level at 43 inches I'm sure the reflector LED headlights could make the distance mark requirements if they were adjusted up a bit but they would then exceed the glare level. the headlights on the ram start out at 40-44 inches depending on trim so the only way to get the glare down is to point them down as opposed to straight out like they would be in a car. So it's a trade off either glare oncoming traffic or sacrifice illumination distance. It's always hard for pickups to score well on the headlight test.

Here's the overall for all pickups crash and headlights. Honda Ridgeline is the best overall but hardly a full size pickup, followed by the new Ram. However they haven't tested the redesigned GM twins.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/large-pickups

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another factor is vehicle height. I always drive in Aero at night to physically lower the headlights. I doubt they tested an air suspension and doubly doubt they lowered it if they had one.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
Regarding the roof strength test, I'm curious if the tested truck has the sunroof or not.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very happy to see this. I was betting on it having good crash test results.... traded in my 5 star rated F150 for it.

Chris

Reaction score

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“Both small overlap ratings apply to trucks built after July, when the cab mounts to the vehicle frame were improved”
Do the pre-July trucks really have cab mount issues? First I heard of this.

Same here. With a 5/31 build date I'd like to hear more about it. Sounds like it has to do with the knocking noises others have been complaining of.

Nor sure how much the cab to frame mount will affect the crash test.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Regarding the roof strength test, I'm curious if the tested truck has the sunroof or not.

Good question. I doubt it. Not sure considering the way they perform this test that it would negatively impact the result.

But they did test a Laramie, which is heavier than a base model and would have negatively impacted the strength to weight ratio.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes me feel better about my decision to give the 2019 RAM a go as our next 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread