5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 - 8.4" With Nav - Bluetooth audio performance

U

User_9089

Hi all,

I've had my 2019 RAM Sport (Canadian) for just over a week, I'm generally loving the truck but the Bluetooth Audio is pretty much of no use.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or had this solved?

Phone is paired up just fine (Samsung Galaxy S9), I can play audio from it, but it intermittently breaks up and crackles, similar to if you were listening on a pair of headphones and were on the edge of it's range.

I've tried placing the phone in various locations, jacket pocket, centre console, on the dash. Always the same result. It may play clean for random periods of time, but not consistently for any long duration.

I've used this phone for over a year in my last truck (GMC) with no issues, also no issues in my partners 2016 Wrangler. Also no issues with a few different pairs of Bluetooth headphones, the range with headphones is phenomenal so much that I cannot imagine that there is an issue with the radio or software on my phone.

I've also reproduced the issue with my partners Galaxy S9+ phone, which is another example of a phone that has worked just fine with multiple other vehicles and devices.

I had my new RAM in to address two safety recalls and a sunroof drain tube grommet at which time I also brought this Bluetooth issue to the advisers attention. He mentioned that he had no current recourse, someone who worked at the dealership also had this problem, and that I should just wait for some OTA update to come along some day.

Please chime in if you have a similar experience, @RamCares do you have anything you can share on this?

Cheers!

Jeff

NDRam

Reaction score
I have had no issues with Bluetooth. I did have to have the media hub replaced as it would not recognize that anything was plugged in via USB.

U

User_9089

Thanks NDRam.

I should also note, it is only Bluetooth audio that has been an issue.

Other methods/sources such as using the phone audio via USB (Android Auto), AM/FM, XM Radio, all play clean and reliably.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
I have also noticed my BT isn’t clear but that is the only source that isn’t clear for me. It breaks up intermittently so I just run audio from my phone using CarPlay.

U

User_9089

so I just run audio from my phone using CarPlay

Agreed, that is a temporary solution. Audio quality is better via Android Auto as well so it is my usual connection.
There are times however when Bluetooth is preferred:
1) Short trips, leaving phone in pocket and not messing with cables
2) If my partner wants to us my phone to do whatever she wants to do with it while driving. (If it's in Android Auto mode it's got an annoyingly short timeout period before defaulting back to the Android Auto screen on the phone)

Regardless, it is an advertised feature that should work. I'm hopeful FCA will provide a resolution.

Zipper100

Reaction score
It's not just you. Mine has the exact same issue. I've tried a few different phones, new and old, and all have the same problem.

U

User_9089

Just adding further details about my system:
HW part number - CNSC27N4GL
SW version - 18.23.29
Application version - CANADA-IR-SBX-21.10.0-20180605-I09W
BootMicro version - 18.10.01

Of course I have no idea of the overall HW and SW architecture and the subtleties of their interactions, but in case FCA is watching maybe they can use this information to help with a root cause analysis.

Dirtbikefool

Reaction score
Mine does this as well. Anyone know of any fixes. Picked new truck up yesterday. Kinda disappointed that such a simple feature works inconsistently.

Zipper100

Reaction score
Mine does this as well. Anyone know of any fixes. Picked new truck up yesterday. Kinda disappointed that such a simple feature works inconsistently.

I wish I did. Bluetooth media is basically useless. I can't stand listening to music that sounds like a skipping CD. I'm on 3 months of waiting for something to resolve this.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just adding further details about my system:
HW part number - CNSC27N4GL
SW version - 18.23.29
Application version - CANADA-IR-SBX-21.10.0-20180605-I09W
BootMicro version - 18.10.01

Of course I have no idea of the overall HW and SW architecture and the subtleties of their interactions, but in case FCA is watching maybe they can use this information to help with a root cause analysis.
Try clearing your cache and data for the blue tooth service app on your phone. Then clear the phone out of the uconnect and re pair it to the uconnect. on a samsung you go into settings Then apps. hit the three little dots in the upper right corner and choose "show system apps" Find the app in the list that says bluetooth press the storage menu and you should have 2 options, one clears the data and the other clears the cache. I had a S8 that worked fine in the Ram but had a spotty connection in my GF's Jaguar, and had a spotty connection with a pair of bose headphones. Just replaced it with a new S10 and so far I've had no issues. The S8 and S9 were both known for having sketchy bluetooth connections that worked fine with some things and terribly with others for no real reason.

U

User_9089

Thanks @Billet1500 4x4, I've cleared the cache and data for Bluetooth, Bluetooth MIDI Service, and BluetoothTest on my S9. Maybe I'll go for a lunchtime drive and repair to Uconnect and see if it made any difference.

rlc2020

Reaction score
I was having the same issue and finally figured it out. I was streaming YouTube music and I did not have the video turned off. Once I disabled video the audio cleared right up. Strangely, this was effecting everything I sent via Bluetooth, even audio files I had saved on my phone. Once I disabled video streaming my audio was perfect. I think the YouTube app was running in the background buffering video even when I wasn't playing it. Make sure as many apps are off on your phone as you can and keep the video settings off via bluetooth as well and it should clear things up.

U

User_9089

I was having the same issue and finally figured it out. I was streaming YouTube music and I did not have the video turned off. Once I disabled video the audio cleared right up. Strangely, this was effecting everything I sent via Bluetooth, even audio files I had saved on my phone. Once I disabled video streaming my audio was perfect. I think the YouTube app was running in the background buffering video even when I wasn't playing it. Make sure as many apps are off on your phone as you can and keep the video settings off via bluetooth as well and it should clear things up.

Thanks, another reasonable idea. For me I can't see that being the problem though, I don't YouTube on my phone, still using GooglePlay Music for my music streaming. It isn't the streaming either though, it does the same when I play only downloaded music from the phone.

U

User_9089

Thanks @Billet1500 4x4, I've cleared the cache and data for Bluetooth, Bluetooth MIDI Service, and BluetoothTest on my S9. Maybe I'll go for a lunchtime drive and repair to Uconnect and see if it made any difference.

Tested it this morning, still no love.

I've had no feedback from FCA, other than I'm Canadian so I can't be helped by the FCA participants on this site and I should phone Canadian FCA reps. I plan on doing that when I have a spare hour or two during a work day.

I can't help but wonder, if there are a mix of working units and poor performing units with the same SW build (an assumption I have no data to qualify) if there is a build issue on a batch of batches of hardware. It could be something as simple as a poorly seated u.fl connector on a cable connecting a bluetooth module or antenna. As a consumer on this truck, rather than a designer, I'm at a loss other than to guess, and to plead with FCA to help.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tested it this morning, still no love.

I've had no feedback from FCA, other than I'm Canadian so I can't be helped by the FCA participants on this site and I should phone Canadian FCA reps. I plan on doing that when I have a spare hour or two during a work day.

I can't help but wonder, if there are a mix of working units and poor performing units with the same SW build (an assumption I have no data to qualify) if there is a build issue on a batch of batches of hardware. It could be something as simple as a poorly seated u.fl connector on a cable connecting a bluetooth module or antenna. As a consumer on this truck, rather than a designer, I'm at a loss other than to guess, and to plead with FCA to help.
Not sure how close you are to your dealer but I'd go back and try connecting your phone to several other trucks on the lot, if it works on other trucks I'd say look it works on 5 other trucks but not my truck... fix it. The first truck I test drove was a Laramie with the 12 inch screen and my s8 would not pair with it at all, tried numerous times. No issues with the 8.4 non nav in the truck I bought

U

User_9089

I did get around to calling FCA Canada about this issue. Although the person I spoke with was quite personable and even made a good presentation of empathy, there really was no indication that FCA is currently investigating this.

The only glimmer of hope, is that FCA logs all error reports, so if everyone having this issue can formally report it through their dealer or FCA customer care there is a possibility it will get on the radar for investigation and corrective action.

I got the usual:
Update your phone SW
Unpair and re-pair your phone
Wait for some indefinite period for a Uconnect update that by some chance addresses this issue, but we can't confirm that it is even a known issue

My first report at the dealer, the rep didn't even record my concern on the repair/work order. There is another dealer not too far from me so I'll make a stop there to see if they are better focused on customer care and interested in putting in some effort.

Cheers.

CJW

Reaction score
Well, I feel your pain. I'm US-based and I'm having the exact same issue on my truck so hopefully they can help me and you can benefit, too. I use a Note 9 (which may as well be identical to your device for this purpose) and it would stream fine via Bluetooth to a small Bluetooth receiver I had to use on my old truck (due to no BT audio) but the streaming on the ram is poor. The audio quality is as you described, not bad, but with annoying little pops, skips, and cutouts. (Also, our other vehicle is a 2016 Durango with 8.4 NAV and it streams just fine there.)

This occurs regardless if the phone is sitting upright in the cup holder, or against the Ramcharger. Phone is updated and I checked that UConnect was also up to date via the VIN Check on the website. If the FCA folks aren't actively monitoring this thread, who do I have to tag to get them in here?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I feel your pain. I'm US-based and I'm having the exact same issue on my truck so hopefully they can help me and you can benefit, too. I use a Note 9 (which may as well be identical to your device for this purpose) and it would stream fine via Bluetooth to a small Bluetooth receiver I had to use on my old truck (due to no BT audio) but the streaming on the ram is poor. The audio quality is as you described, not bad, but with annoying little pops, skips, and cutouts. (Also, our other vehicle is a 2016 Durango with 8.4 NAV and it streams just fine there.)

This occurs regardless if the phone is sitting upright in the cup holder, or against the Ramcharger. Phone is updated and I checked that UConnect was also up to date via the VIN Check on the website. If the FCA folks aren't actively monitoring this thread, who do I have to tag to get them in here?
@RamCares

rlc2020

Reaction score
I had previously posted that I fixed the issue with my bluetooth skipping, but it came back after a few days. Seems to be intermittant, but getting more frequent lately. Happens regardless of what service I'm using to stream, even if its playing saved music it still skips after a few minutes. I'm going in Saturday for an oil change and will play around with other trucks there if I can to see if it's just my unit. Very frustrating that I can't stream music via bluetooth in a 2019 vehicle. I've been doing this for 10 years or more even with fm transmitters and they worked better than this truck does...

Users who are viewing this thread