5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 - 2022 Model Year Differences

sessman

Reaction score
Hello,

Some of you may have seen my previous post regarding the accident I was in with my 2019 Laramie. That truck was officially a total loss and I am now purchasing a 2021 Laramie Night Edition.

I tried searching to see what exactly has been changed from the 2019 Laramie to the 2021 but couldn't find a thread outlining specific model year differences. I found random threads talking about the 2021's having a louder exhaust note due to deleted resonators, UConnect graphical changes, but nothing in 1 place.

Did I miss a thread when searching? Or is there not enough changes to warrant a thread?

Appreciate the help!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Probably not enough changes from 2019 to 2021 for a dedicated thread. But they did add some tech goodies for 2021 like the HUD and reverse trailer steering assist. 2022 will have a few fairly significant changes though. A couple of them being Uconnect5 and console shifter (as part of the GT package).

sessman

Reaction score
Probably not enough changes from 2019 to 2021 for a dedicated thread. But they did add some tech goodies for 2021 like the HUD and reverse trailer steering assist. 2022 will have a few fairly significant changes though. A couple of them being Uconnect5 and console shifter (as part of the GT package).
Whats the biggest difference w/ Uconnect5? Worth waitin for a 2022?

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
UConnect 5 is altogether smoother faster and more comprehensive in addition to the wireless android auto and car play.... There is much more customization ability for home pages and layouts as well.... For me it was one of the main deciding factors to order and wait for a 2022.

sessman

Reaction score
UConnect 5 is altogether smoother faster and more comprehensive in addition to the wireless android auto and car play.... There is much more customization ability for home pages and layouts as well.... For me it was one of the main deciding factors to order and wait for a 2022.
I hear you, unfortunately due to my car being totaled we need a new family car today and we found the exact specs we want at a dealership fairly close by.

They're offering $1k off MSRP and due to the shortage of vehicles right now and the fact that many dealerships in my area have markups it seems like a good deal. I can't see waiting 8-12 weeks with just my wife's 2012 Jeep Patriot (and 2 kids) for a faster head unit...

Am I crazy?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear you, unfortunately due to my car being totaled we need a new family car today and we found the exact specs we want at a dealership fairly close by.

They're offering $1k off MSRP and due to the shortage of vehicles right now and the fact that many dealerships in my area have markups it seems like a good deal. I can't see waiting 8-12 weeks with just my wife's 2012 Jeep Patriot (and 2 kids) for a faster head unit...

Am I crazy?
Nope. Seems like the right decision for your circumstances. Probably what I should have done too, rather than rent a car for 4 months or more.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Am I crazy?
We need to adapt to the times. Nowadays you're lucky to find a truck at MSRP in some areas. I'd go with the truck you found locally and move on. Besides, I think you're being optimistic in saying 8-12 weeks if you order a 2022 model. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual waiting time is closer to double that.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score

Am I crazy?
You aren't crazy. I would not have been able to do it this way had I not had a "spare" vehicle to use while I wait. (Wife's old SUV that isn't worth much but good enough to keep around) Not sure what part of the country you're from but with some "push" some dealers will come back to reality with pricing. Kunes CDJR in Platteville, WI has a TON of inventory and very fair pricing. Might be worth the call.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats the biggest difference w/ Uconnect5? Worth waitin for a 2022?
This is one of the reasons I did not take delivery of the Limited I ordered after dealer played games on price after it arrived (thought it would be 2023 for UC5). Much faster processor, improved graphics, wireless Android Auto/Carplay, and IMO most important is navigation by Tom Tom with always updated maps and traffic.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I did not take delivery of the Limited I ordered after dealer played games on price after it arrived (thought it would be 2023 for UC5). Much faster processor, improved graphics, wireless Android Auto/Carplay, and IMO most important is navigation by Tom Tom with always updated maps and traffic.
Uconnect5 was the only thing that had me considering ordering instead of buying a 2021 off the lot (dealer trade). I had a hard enough time waiting the 3 days for the truck to be delivered from another dealership. I couldn't imagine waiting literally months for one to be built. Respect for those who have the patience to do that. :cool:

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Uconnect5 was the only thing that had me considering ordering instead of buying a 2021 off the lot (dealer trade). I had a hard enough time waiting the 3 days for the truck to be delivered from another dealership. I couldn't imagine waiting literally months for one to be built. Respect for those who have the patience to do that. :cool:
The wait is KILLING me, but I've never exercised patience well in this regard before. So when Groot 3.0 arrives (my truck's nickname) it's going to be very sweet and rewarding to get EXACTLY what I wanted. 😁😃

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The wait is KILLING me, but I've never exercised patience well in this regard before. So when Groot 3.0 arrives (my truck's nickname) it's going to be very sweet and rewarding to get EXACTLY what I wanted. 😁😃
I hope the time goes by quickly for you. I didn't settle when I bought my truck. I was able to find my dream truck on a dealer lot. Uconnect5 looks like it will be pretty cool, but I've been able to drive my truck for over 3 months now. I'd still be waiting for who knows how long if I had ordered a 2022 when I bought this truck. :cool:

sessman

Reaction score
I hope the time goes by quickly for you. I didn't settle when I bought my truck. I was able to find my dream truck on a dealer lot. Uconnect5 looks like it will be pretty cool, but I've been able to drive my truck for over 3 months now. I'd still be waiting for who knows how long if I had ordered a 2022 when I bought this truck. :cool:
This is my thought process, with the chip shortages and COVID surging again impacting logistics the special orders could take a lot longer than anticipated too. I'm super excited to be picking up my 2021 Laramie Night Edition 4x4 on Saturday! The main feature i regretted not getting originally was the pano sunroof and this has it, I'm a happy guy.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine waiting literally months for one to be built. Respect for those who have the patience to do that. :cool:

It got pretty tough at times, and especially so after I sold my last truck about a month before the new one arrived. When the new one did come in though, about as much excitement/anticipation as I've experienced in a long time.

Totally agree it would be nice to have gotten uconnect 5 as well, but I'll look forward to that on the next one while I enjoy this one.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I handed the key fobs over to Groot 2.0 the day I ordered 3.0. It majorly stinks to be drivin' the 'ol Mercury Mariner but at least I've got reliable wheels while I wait. But DANG am I missing the luxury of my RAM right now!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
the 2022 might have the Uconnect 5.0 but I've heard it lacks some options like blind spot assist etc because of the chip shortage...I would assume and I've ordered based on a Laramie 2021 so I want all the options of a 2021 + Uconnect 5.0 (and other 2022 options if any)

Users who are viewing this thread