5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" Rough Country Level

v_eight

Reaction score
Recently purchased this leveling kit:

Went to get a quote on installation today and the shop (pretty well respected in the area) said they would not want to install this as it makes the ride quality so poor.

I am in need of some reassurance that I'm not making a mistake by getting this installed! I don't want to hate driving my brand new truck.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“Easy bolt on installation” lol

I wouldn’t use those, you would have better results with the top mounted spacers.

Like this:

I happen to have a set of 2” readylift spacers for sale, if you are interested you can PM me. Although those are cheaper.

Or RC sells these also, no one has tried them yet I don’t think, and I probably wouldn’t but it is an option:

Crozz13

Reaction score
Recently purchased this leveling kit:

Went to get a quote on installation today and the shop (pretty well respected in the area) said they would not want to install this as it makes the ride quality so poor.

I am in need of some reassurance that I'm not making a mistake by getting this installed! I don't want to hate driving my brand new truck.
Don't use the RC 2" coil spacer lift. Your local shop is correct. The ride quality is terrible. I have it currently on my truck (originally an ORP truck, changed to non ORP springs) the ride is the worst. I will be removing the lift and reusing the ORP springs very soon.

Steve F.

Reaction score
More stable in the front when cornering - stated before by me and others. How is that being confirmation biased?
I’m going to have to agree with Bellpa on this one. I had the RC 2 inch leveling spacers installed on my 1500 about 2 weeks ago. The ride is just a smooth as before the install, and cornering is much better now. I had the spacers installed by a master mechanic who happens to be personal friend....so I know it was done right. He told me that the spacers did compress the front springs ever so slightly. I’m guessing this is where the improved cornering comes into play.

v_eight

Reaction score
Interesting. Makes my decision harder on whether or not to have these installed.

Crozz13

Reaction score
I've had the RC level since Jan. No issues whatsoever. No change in ride at all.
Out of curiosity .... are your spacers the welded metal ones or the "plastic" ones. Mine are a one piece round plastic and I noticed the earlier versions of the spacers were welded metal. The material won't change the ride obviously, but my plastic ones squeak when any of the weight distribution changes.

Steve F.

Reaction score
Out of curiosity .... are your spacers the welded metal ones or the "plastic" ones. Mine are a one piece round plastic and I noticed the earlier versions of the spacers were welded metal. The material won't change the ride obviously, but my plastic ones squeak when any of the weight distribution changes.
The ones I received from Rough Country were metal, and they were ordered less than a month ago.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys this has been beat to death on every truck forum. One of these is a preload spacer, goes inside the strut, compresses the spring for lift. The other bolts onto the top of the strut essentially making it longer for more lift.

The first one, will make the ride stiffer. To what degree is really dependent on the driver. It shouldn’t be THAT bad though.

The second one, won’t change the ride like the first one but some people notice a more “floaty” feel in the steering. Typically caused by lack of a good alignment.

Crozz13

Reaction score
Well, I took my RC spacers out and reinstalled my ORP coils. I left my 295 65r20 Toyo's (35.1") on the truck. I did do a little heat adjusting to the front fender liners with the spacers. No rub moving forward. Only rubs when reversing and turning to the left. The ride is like stock, obviously. No longer any noises coming from the cheap plastic spacers.

So just a note to the other ORP owners. Slight heat and bend to the front fenders liners and 35's will fit. I'm sure any off roading would rub. But for on road use its fine with me.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
The spacers that are installed in the springs are horrible. I am a certified mechanic and installed them myself and I have to say they ride horrible. I’ve had them on there for a year now and i have gotten used to it. But once I get into a customers RAM and drive it....I kinda miss that smooth ride. But anyways it looks good. I do need tires for sure still. Is 295/60r20 the biggest I can get with out any rub? 34661

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More stable in the front when cornering - stated before by me and others. How is that being confirmation biased?

Cornering and ride are two different things. Cornering has to do with the handling of the truck while ride is how smooth the truck is going down the road. Usually a stiffer suspention will handle and corner better but it may not ride as well.

mjegge

Reaction score
My 2019 North Edition 4x4 Bighorn started with Ready Lift spacers - the ride was awful and the stock passenger side strut was destroyed. After my dealer called Ready Lift (my dealer has installed dozens of these on 2019s without issue), RL told them that any 2019 Off-Road Package Ram with the longer springs WILL NOT WORK with the pucks.

Since the Bilstein 5100 is not out for the 2019s yet, my dealer swapped out the spacers for the Rough Country Leveling Struts and my truck is riding fantastic!

These RCs may not be quite as nice as the Bilstein 5100s I had in my 14, but they are working very well in my 2019!

Users who are viewing this thread