5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Big Horn, Non Slip Diff, KO2's and the Beach

whododat

Reaction score
The wife and I finally had the chance to take our 19 on the beach. I went to Brigantine Beach in NJ as they offer free permits to veterans to drive on their beaches.
Happy to report that the truck did very well with our KO2's (stock size 275 65 18) aired down to 20 and in 4wd lo. Although it was very foggy out, we had a great time just cruising up and down the beach. I am embarrassed to say that I just found out about being able to drive on this beach and will enjoy hanging out there with our grandkids on nicer days.
I purchased a set of MAXSA Escaper Buddy Traction Mats in case we had issues but we did not. I will say I initially drove on the beach with 41 lbs of pressure in the tires and quickly realized why one should air down.
Not much of a pic but you can see it wasn't exactly a clear day.

Attachments

• Ram on beach.jpg
    Ram on beach.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 166

schwegel89

Reaction score
Hey I’m from south jersey. Where do I go to get the permit for brigantine? Just have to show your DD214 to get it for free? Thanks

2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn

whododat

Reaction score
Go to the community center. Yes, just bring a copy of your dd214, license and registration. Here is the link.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well I’m not far from Brigatine and I was just talking to my daughters about there today.

schwegel89

Reaction score
Go to the community center. Yes, just bring a copy of your dd214, license and registration. Here is the link.

Ok great! Thank you!

2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn

ClancyO

Reaction score
Wash the underside good!!!! Never been on a jersey beach, but spent much of the last 20 years on DE beaches. I've used 4 lo once (4-banger Tacoma, loaded HEAVY in very fine/sugary sand). I've found it best to use 4 high and save low for a real emergency. DE law requires full size spare, jack, shovel, tow strap, boards (for jack) and fishing gear (because you're supposed to be there to fish).

whododat

Reaction score
Yeah, luckily you do not have to fish on this beach. There is another one in NJ you can drive on but ONLY if you fish. I take the truck to a car wash and do the underbody as well, after we drive on the beach. I ordered tracks for the sand, quick airdown valves and will eventually order an air compressor, although there are several gas stations with strong enough pressure to fill the tires. There are also several decent restaurants to go to. St. George's Pub is one of them. Also, the North side beach area is bigger than the South side beach. A get together sounds good.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Yeah, luckily you do not have to fish on this beach. There is another one in NJ you can drive on but ONLY if you fish. I take the truck to a car wash and do the underbody as well, after we drive on the beach. I ordered tracks for the sand, quick airdown valves and will eventually order an air compressor, although there are several gas stations with strong enough pressure to fill the tires. There are also several decent restaurants to go to. St. George's Pub is one of them. Also, the North side beach area is bigger than the South side beach. A get together sounds good.
Yes to the ez-Deflators! They require setup, and since they are a simple mechanical device with a simple spring, set up means airing down your tire (in the driveway) until the deflator stops, checking the new tire pressure and adjusting the deflator to get the desired result. Air back up the tire and do it again until the deflator gets you to the desired number (for me, 20-22 psi was good). And then do it again for the other 3 deflators. Total pain, but it's totally worth it to pull up to the beach, screw all 4 in and listen to the howls from the tires while the other guys crouching down in the sand next to their tires wonder why you're just standing there.. I still checked the pressure after removing the deflators, but it was almost always in range. It's nice to drive off while the other guys are still crouched down airing down the next tire...

What is nice about the DE beaches (even though you have to fish - twist my arm!!) is that grills, dogs, adult beverages, games, even fire pits are all perfectly legal while banned on most bathing beaches.

dsn112

Reaction score
Brigantine cove on Saturday, got there at 9:30 and was already almost full.
1405f74aba80f7f151094adf6ae96b7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread