5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18" stock to 20" custom MPG Improvements?

KSOTI

Reaction score
Crazy question but I know there's alot of knowledge in this group so here goes....

I'm considering going from my stock 18" rims and highway tires to 20" rims and AT tires. Same overall diameter or maybe 1" bigger to fill the fender wells. Stock suspension no lift. Want to improve the looks and add some traction for the occasional off roading that I do but I don't want to kill my MPG.

Has anyone found a 20" rim and AT tire combination that did not significantly increase the overall weight or even better came out lighter?

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
I drove a 4th Gen with the 6 speed for almost 7 years that was lifted 6" 20 inch wheels and 35s....averaged 10 mpg in town and 14 in the highway ... I was so excited for the "way better" gas mileage when I traded my truck in on a brand new 5th Gen Longhorn back in September with the new 8 speed. My new truck stays at 11.5-13 mpg in town (completely stock as of right now) so not that much better AT ALL than my 4th gen was getting with all the mods and lift. And I by no means rip around in my new truck, I drive it WAY more cautiously than I ever drove my old 4th Gen. These trucks suck on gas mileage unless your strickly driving down the highway long distances but for 90% of my driving being around town this truck sucks gas like crazy.... I am actually very disappointed as I was thinking I was gunna stay getting 15+ mpg after stepping back down to a stock truck without lift and wheels...

So I know I didn't answer your question but point of my story is in my experience wheels and tires don't hurt gas mileage enough at all to be worried about it, and the better look of the truck with wheels and lift is way more worth the 1 or 2 mpg your gunna save....
Buy a Honda or Prius if you want good gas mileage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
When comparing apples to apples, an AT tire is always going to provide more rolling resistance than an HT tire and the 20” wheel is going to weigh more than the same wheel that’s 18”. That said, the variables of tire load rating and weight also play in as well as the weight of the new 20’s. The amount of money we spend on wheels and tires will always destroy ur wallet anyways, pick a setup that makes u do a look back over ur shoulder as u walk away and be happy. My .02!

KSOTI

Reaction score
I drove a 4th Gen with the 6 speed for almost 7 years that was lifted 6" 20 inch wheels and 35s....averaged 10 mpg in town and 14 in the highway ... I was so excited for the "way better" gas mileage when I traded my truck in on a brand new 5th Gen Longhorn back in September with the new 8 speed. My new truck stays at 11.5-13 mpg in town (completely stock as of right now) so not that much better AT ALL than my 4th gen was getting with all the mods and lift. And I by no means rip around in my new truck, I drive it WAY more cautiously than I ever drove my old 4th Gen. These trucks suck on gas mileage unless your strickly driving down the highway long distances but for 90% of my driving being around town this truck sucks gas like crazy.... I am actually very disappointed as I was thinking I was gunna stay getting 15+ mpg after stepping back down to a stock truck without lift and wheels...

So I know I didn't answer your question but point of my story is in my experience wheels and tires don't hurt gas mileage enough at all to be worried about it, and the better look of the truck with wheels and lift is way more worth the 1 or 2 mpg your gunna save....
Buy a Honda or Prius if you want good gas mileage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
My stock Big horn 4x4 with a non E TQ 5.7, 3.92 rear end and 6'4" bed gets a 17.8 mpg during my mostly rural driving that includes pulling my boat occasionally. This is rural driving and I'm a flatlander LOL. Pretty happy with that when I see some of our other brethren's MPG numbers. While I want to want to achieve a 60/40 goal of improving my look and adding a little traction to get me out of the hunting camp I don't want to do unnecessary damage to my performance numbers if there are options. Or spend a grand on Rims when I can stick with the 18"s and add AT's.

I have a 30 MPG beater car for the 20 mile round trip milk runs, I typically use my truck for truck stuff. Thanks for your input though.

Users who are viewing this thread