5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12 in Radio Failure - Boot Loop

soccerfan939

Reaction score
All - I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 12" radio and wanted to provide my experience in case it's helpful to others. I didn't see this issue posted elsewhere.

I bought my truck in June of 2022 and the radio worked perfectly up until mid-December, when the radio stopped working entirely. Specifically, the radio would start up, show the Ram logo, and flash the main screen for a few seconds before restarting. It does this in a loop, never fully loading or working.

Thankfully the hardware buttons work so the HVAC functions can be approximately controlled, but none of the features controlled by the screen are usable. Following the various hard reset procedures didn't help, nor did disconnecting the battery or parking the truck outside for a few hours (in case it was trying to download an update).

The Uconnect support line noted this issue usually requires replacement, which the dealer confirmed. Dealer noted they replace 'a lot' of these radios, and it's normal for them to just break like this, with no apparent root cause. The only thing that did change was the expiration of the various service trials (SiriusXM, ram connect, etc) - my conspiracy theory is this somehow bricked the radio...

No eta on a new unit, and dealer noted they've waited as long as 3 months for a new one, which I find a bit ridiculous for an essentially brand new $60k truck.

If you encounter this boot loop issue hopefully you can learn from my experience and not waste time with resetting etc, just take it in and start the waiting process for a replacement.

Anyone else have this type of failure?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.
My services expired today. I hope I don't experience this same UConnect phenomenon.
My system has been very stable and problem-free except for the time it rebooted itself on the drive home from the dealer 😒.

reapur

Reaction score
Can you please post the uconnect support number you called?
I've had endless problems with the 12" screen and I haven't had time to take to the dealer, I wonder maybe the uconnect people can help - Thanks

soccerfan939

Reaction score
Sure:
I called the 'General Support' number - 1-877-855-8400
The person I reached really wanted to be helpful, but the only thing they knew to try were two hard reset procedures, which ultimately didn't help me.

If I remember correctly one reset option is to hold the power button in for ~30s and release when the screen goes black and the Ram logo comes up.

The other option was to have the truck turned to 'Run', hold both the voice recognition and green phone buttons (on the steering wheel) for ~30s and then release, then open the driver door until the dash screen turns off (also about 30s) and then restart.

I think the reset options have been provided in more detail on other posts, if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread