5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.4 screen display and rain sense

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Does anyone else have the issue where the wipers come on (rain sense) and the display darkens and when the rain stops it takes forever to come back to normal brightness? Mine

during the day when it darkens you can’t see anything on the display, so I have reached down and forced brightness manually.

also dims the instrument panel.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone else have the issue where the wipers come on (rain sense) and the display darkens and when the rain stops it takes forever to come back to normal brightness? Mine

during the day when it darkens you can’t see anything on the display, so I have reached down and forced brightness manually.

also dims the instrument panel.
Sounds like it’s linked to turning on your lights with your wipers. Try turning that off? Though I don’t know why it’d dim the display when turning your lights on because of rain.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the display dims because headlights are programmed to turn on when windshield wipers are activated. Either turn that feature off or manually adjust dimmer with scroll knob on dash to the left of steering wheel. Scroll all the way up.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

stevestrike

Reaction score
Agreed that it's really annoying to have your screen dim to unreadable in the middle of the day. Terrible design that is overly sensitive.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I can't help but to say this. Whomever is complaining about having to reach down and manually adjust the brightness up during the day when it is raining and your auto wipers have turned on your lights and hence your dash goes dim......well you are just plain, well how do I put this......lazy? Anal? Spoiled? I own BMWs also and they dim the displays unlinked to the lights, but by sensing the ambient light. And it is a nice feature, but c'mon. Its really not that bad. Good god you have auto sensing wipers and auto sensing headlights that are linked to the wipers coming on. Enjoy what you have. Such first world problems.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't help but to say this. Whomever is complaining about having to reach down and manually adjust the brightness up during the day when it is raining and your auto wipers have turned on your lights and hence your dash goes dim......well you are just plain, well how do I put this......lazy? Anal? Spoiled? I own BMWs also and they dim the displays unlinked to the lights, but by sensing the ambient light. And it is a nice feature, but c'mon. Its really not that bad. Good god you have auto sensing wipers and auto sensing headlights that are linked to the wipers coming on. Enjoy what you have. Such first world problems.
Your post is stupid. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to program the vehicle to read the ambient light sensor to determine if it’s bright enough outside to leave the display on full brightness when the wipers & headlights come on. In fact, some other automakers already do it this way! Why can’t FCA? They can, but they didn’t. Are they the ones who are lazy, or is this a missed convenience feature that they should be made aware of? Giving feedback is important so companies can improve.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Your post is stupid. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to program the vehicle to read the ambient light sensor to determine if it’s bright enough outside to leave the display on full brightness when the wipers & headlights come on. In fact, some other automakers already do it this way! Why can’t FCA? They can, but they didn’t. Are they the ones who are lazy, or is this a missed convenience feature that they should be made aware of? Giving feedback is important so companies can improve.
Sorry dude, but you are stupid. If you read my post, I have owned cars for years that have this feature.

stevestrike

Reaction score
You ever had someone switch off the lights while you were in the middle of using the restroom? Well you are just plain, well how do I put this? You're being obtuse.

The feature doesn't work right, and people are free to comment on that. Don't be a ****.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee overland an FCA product and it functioned correctly.
I am not lazy nor stupid, but when it is coming down in buckets and you are on the highway using nav and not only the nav but the instrument cluster also dims to night time mode so you basically are blind.

also when the rain stops and the sun comes out it takes almost 5 minutes or so to switch back to daytime mode. It should sense that things have cleared up and switch.

I am a retired U.S. Army Master Sargent and a retired software engineer and again NOT lazy nor stupid and I know that it is simply bad code/software.

this is our forum to bring up things that we like and dislike about the product. Not to belittle members. Hopefully the items we dislike will be addressed or a member has a solution

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I hate to beat this thing any more, but I am willing to back down and say no one is lazy or stupid, I apologize and shouldn't have said those things that offended some. Our trucks should be able to adjust our displays better using ambient light.

Users who are viewing this thread