5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

104mph limit

Pfienga

Reaction score
My 2019 ram 1500 Laramie sport package Etouque only tops out at 104 mph then the power gets cut ..... Very disappointed

steveved

Reaction score
My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 used to cut fuel at 105mph, so at least they are still consistent.

Most aftermarket tuners will let you raise or eliminate that limit. Just FYI...

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 ram 1500 Laramie sport package Etouque only tops out at 104 mph then the power gets cut ..... Very disappointed
Speed limit is 65 where I live! That said, got mine up to 102 the other day! It’s a lot of mass and top heavy to boot. 104 seems pretty reasonable!!

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
There's a reason for that

Usually the rating is due to tires and/or drivetrain vibration

Then there's the drive shaft speed rating as well They don't typically leave much of a margin for error either, as an increase in speed creates an exponential increase in drivetrain stress.

It's easily possible to see catastrophic failure at only 15% above the rated speed limit.

You wanna go faster get a Mustang er..
Challenger this being a ram forum and all ha.

Pfienga

Reaction score
Speed limit is 65 where I live! That said, got mine up to 102 the other day! It’s a lot of mass and top heavy to boot. 104 seems pretty reasonable!!
True i wanted to really open it up ...why not put a 100mph speedometer in it

Pfienga

Reaction score
There's a reason for that

Usually the rating is due to tires and/or drivetrain vibration

Then there's the drive shaft speed rating as well They don't typically leave much of a margin for error either, as an increase in speed creates an exponential increase in drivetrain stress.

It's easily possible to see catastrophic failure at only 15% above the rated speed limit.

You wanna go faster get a Mustang er..
Challenger this being a ram forum and all ha.
I absolutely agree I just wanted to see what it had and was surprised

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never been concerned with top speed.... how fast I can get to top speed is another story! The maneuverability/nimbleness of the truck is based on handling and 0-60. I know my Rebel isn't a Porsche, but I can get around the asshats in rush hour very easily and that's impressive in a fullsize truck.

JimStinson

Reaction score
I have a problem with good straight roads, my damned right foot turns into lead! And at 66 years old, that ain't always good. Sometimes I have to pull over and change my Depends.

JimStinson

Reaction score
Serious question now.

Buying a 2019 Ram soon. What is the REAL difference between the Longhorn and the Limited. So far all I see is interior materials and badging.

Ranchram

Reaction score
Serious question now.

Buying a 2019 Ram soon. What is the REAL difference between the Longhorn and the Limited. So far all I see is interior materials and badging.
I think you are spot on. The interesting thing is that if you load up a longhorn with the stuff that comes standard on the limited( air suspension and 12 inch screen) it ends up costing more than the the limited. I think the longhorn saddle and black interior is the nicest looking but opted for the limited due to concerns about keeping the saddle clean after horse events. Either way they are amazing trucks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Serious question now.

Major differences: Grille, wheels, badging (obviously), and interior. The Limited comes with more standard features, but there is nothing on the Limited that you can't option on the Longhorn. This means that if you load up both, the Longhorn will cost a little more. So it comes down to the look that you want.

In my opinion, there should be no "Laramie" in the name. The Longhorn and Limited are both top-trim trucks, and they are far more similar than the Laramie is to the Laramie Longhorn. The Laramie is a completely different model that sits squarely in the middle of the trim lineup.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are spot on. The interesting thing is that if you load up a longhorn with the stuff that comes standard on the limited( air suspension and 12 inch screen) it ends up costing more than the the limited. I think the longhorn saddle and black interior is the nicest looking but opted for the limited due to concerns about keeping the saddle clean after horse events. Either way they are amazing trucks.
Agree, both amazing trucks. I opted for the Longhorn because I did not want the air suspension which is standard on the Limited and I wanted two tone exterior paint which you can not get with the Limited either. Throw in the Black/New saddle interior and that was it. I am bias but IMO after all the trucks I looked at including Ford and GM, the Black/new saddle interior is more luxurious looking than all these including the Ram Limited. To each their own!

Last edited:

Meme13165

Reaction score
My 16 Laramie, just got to eating up by a GMC diesel yesterday, I was out screwing around at about 106 miles an hour and this GMC just came right by and ate my *** right up.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
I know some people are into the numbers and such, but I don't care if my truck goes over 100. As people have said there's way better cars for that and I have no interest in rolling at that speed. I'm too full from Thanksgiving to go that fast anyway

Just waiting for the MPG at 100MPH to get started lol

Stevgtguy

Reaction score
My '08 Grand Cherokee Overland will do 120 MPH before the fuel is cut. And it's 4 wheel drive. Man I love my Hemi

cwwood2006

Reaction score
I’m the opposite. I like the idea of speed and the functionality of a truck.

There is finally an unlocked PCM for the 5th gen. I have a Borla cat back, afe CAI and have american racing full LT Header system coming in next week. Plan for forged pistons and rods, ported heads, ported throttle body,
leaf springs, new crank shaft, etc. oh and pro charger. Work in progress hopefully

Last edited:

Truckin

Reaction score
When they finally offer the new 426 Hemi and 6.2 HellCat, hopefully will up the speedometer at least the 140MPH that Raptor's have...You will still likely have to 'flash' the control module-my last Raptor cut out right about 100MPH and after I had her 'flashed' topped out at 129MPH...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/