5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10,000 Miles! Update...

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Well, somehow managed to hit 10,000 miles yesterday. Purchased my truck in July 2018 and love every minute driving it. Lots of winter driving here in the Cascade Mountains and it’s handled beautifully. Snow, ice, crud...you name it. Also lots of switching between 2wd/4wd auto/4w high and I can drive with confidence. Hasn’t let me down.

Only minor issues are side mirrors stick on tilt in reverse so I turned that option off, and some wind noise from the driver side window at freeway speeds or windy conditions. I’ll see if the dealer can address those when I’m in next.

Hopefully most of you (I know not all from lurking on this board for awhile) have had the same positive experience I’ve had with the new 2019 Ram. Happy driving!

D2822E13-BB0D-4A56-8A1F-D39E51FBA573.jpeg

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, somehow managed to hit 10,000 miles yesterday. Purchased my truck in July 2018 and love every minute driving it. Lots of winter driving here in the Cascade Mountains and it’s handled beautifully. Snow, ice, crud...you name it. Also lots of switching between 2wd/4wd auto/4w high and I can drive with confidence. Hasn’t let me down.

Only minor issues are side mirrors stick on tilt in reverse so I turned that option off, and some wind noise from the driver side window at freeway speeds or windy conditions. I’ll see if the dealer can address those when I’m in next.

Hopefully most of you (I know not all from lurking on this board for awhile) have had the same positive experience I’ve had with the new 2019 Ram. Happy driving!

View attachment 13189
Truck looks great. Glad you've had an enjoyable experience so far.

KRField

Reaction score
I bought mine July 4th and yesterday broke 24k. A few minor issues, but nothing major. I have towed near capacity through the smokies no problem. Motor had plenty power, just had to tame it to keep temps where I was comfortable. Handled a decent snow beautifully with stock tires. My 4 wheel drive worked great. Even in a foot of snow I played with 4 hi and low, but really auto handled everything even steep inclines. I’m very pleased I jumped from Ford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought mine July 4th and yesterday broke 24k. A few minor issues, but nothing major. I have towed near capacity through the smokies no problem. Motor had plenty power, just had to tame it to keep temps where I was comfortable. Handled a decent snow beautifully with stock tires. My 4 wheel drive worked great. Even in a foot of snow I played with 4 hi and low, but really auto handled everything even steep inclines. I’m very pleased I jumped from Ford.

Just curious, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of work do you do that you've put 24k miles on the odo in six months?

RodRow

Reaction score

Is the sound that you hear at highway speeds a whistle? I’ve noticed that, in certain windy conditions, my driver mirror makes a whistle sound (collapsed mirrors while happening, and it went away) gonna tinker to find the exact spot that whistles. :)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Is the sound that you hear at highway speeds a whistle? I’ve noticed that, in certain windy conditions, my driver mirror makes a whistle sound (collapsed mirrors while happening, and it went away) gonna tinker to find the exact spot that whistles. :)

Mine isn’t so much a whistle; it sounds like I’m driving with the darn window down! It’s pretty rare so I just turn the volume up. Sounds like you’ve narrowed it down to the mirror. Good luck!

kjn86

Reaction score
Refreshing. Wish more people would report the good experiences.

Agreed! Like most comments online, those who post usually have negative experiences or very positive ones. Those who are just pleased don't comment or review as often. My experience has been positive. Happy to drive mine every single time I get in it!

KRField

Reaction score
Just curious, and I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of work do you do that you've put 24k miles on the odo in six months?

I am in ministry and work with scripture printing. We make John and Romans Scripture portions of the New Testament. Our church does 250,000 and the ministry total is 1.5 million through projects with other churches with our cutter and staplers. As well as a network of churches that we deliver materials to, they put them together and box them, we pick the finished ones up and deliver more unfinished. I also do conferences and travel a lot.

I use the 1500 for our 20x7.5x7 trailer that I load to 5-6500 gross weight. BTW I have 3.21 gears with no issues pulling. For our 24’ I use a GMC 2500 that will be replaced with a Ram 3500 SWB this year hopefully.

On a side note. In November a friend of ours brought a 33’ travel trailer to camp near Gatlinburg. They have a 10 f350 that started over heating when hitting the mountains in Asheville NC. They were in a bind getting out. They drained all tanks and weighed 7900lbs. The truck pulled it out to the Flats fine it definitely was not the truck for the job but did the job in a pinch. The motor back pressure maintained speed coming down the grade with no brakes. I maintained no faster than 55 mph and air up the tires to proper specs. Everything ran cool and handled ok. I was truly impressed with my “little” truck.

Future is a putting on my LT tires 3.5” lift and air bags as the rear was really soft. I did not get air ride as aftermarket is easier to keep up with.

As far as 3.21 I tow but not often enough and mostly non tow drives. The ministry owns the 2500 hence not using it for the personal use to help the friend. I also wanted to really test the truck.

19 Ram 1500 Bighorn 4x4, 6’4” bed, 3.21, level 1 group ( I hated the park sensors)

I may do a video at 36k to do a full review of all good and bad of the truck since that’s the mark for end of the factory bumper to bumper. It will be my first video ever.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 13189
Great to hear! At what mileage do you feel it was broken in ? Do you use synthetic oil?

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Great to hear! At what mileage do you feel it was broken in ? Do you use synthetic oil?

I don’t use synthetic oil...it goes in every 4,000 for an oil change. Good question on when it felt broken in. To be honest it’s been pretty consistent since I purchased it. I added the leveling kit and bigger tires at around 5,000 and that changed the ride a little bit and mpg. I get a combined 17mpg (approx) now.

KRField

Reaction score

The trans settled at around 2500-3k. Motor settled in with consistent readings at 5k. I have the dealer doing oil with synthetic blend to get through factory warranty just for any issues with warranty. I know not needed and some are having a heart attack, but if anything happens their guys took care of it. Then I will switch to full synthetic. They did flash the trans again at 18k and resettled at 20k. I’m seeing average of 20mpg.

I will be adding a catch can soon. Why you ask, it’s not a boosted motor. Well cleaning my undercarriage I found an exhaust leak at the flange after the cat. It has a trail of burnt oil seeping out the bottom as well build up on exhaust tips. If it’s coming out the exhaust it being put back through the throttle body. Which there is residue in the PCV lines.

My dif’s, oil pan, main seal, and trans are good with no leaks. It does have the occasional start up bang (possible starter Bendix gear alignment issue) and a clunk if it idle rolls into second gear which I’m finding time to take in. It will also produce occasionally when in a gear letting off throttle maintaining rpm the clung applying load to the drive line again. The clunk was the reason for flashing, which I knew wouldn’t fix. I also did break in towing procedure by hooking an empty trailer and drove around town for 500 miles at 3k on the motor.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
The trans settled at around 2500-3k. Motor settled in with consistent readings at 5k. I have the dealer doing oil with synthetic blend to get through factory warranty just for any issues with warranty. I know not needed and some are having a heart attack, but if anything happens their guys took care of it. Then I will switch to full synthetic. They did flash the trans again at 18k and resettled at 20k. I’m seeing average of 20mpg.

I will be adding a catch can soon. Why you ask, it’s not a boosted motor. Well cleaning my undercarriage I found an exhaust leak at the flange after the cat. It has a trail of burnt oil seeping out the bottom as well build up on exhaust tips. If it’s coming out the exhaust it being put back through the throttle body. Which there is residue in the PCV lines.

My dif’s, oil pan, main seal, and trans are good with no leaks. It does have the occasional start up bang (possible starter Bendix gear alignment issue) and a clunk if it idle rolls into second gear which I’m finding time to take in. It will also produce occasionally when in a gear letting off throttle maintaining rpm the clung applying load to the drive line again. The clunk was the reason for flashing, which I knew wouldn’t fix. I also did break in towing procedure by hooking an empty trailer and drove around town for 500 miles at 3k on the motor.

My BT catch can was worth every penny. It was completely full after 2k miles.

KRField

Reaction score
My BT catch can was worth every penny. It was completely full after 2k miles.

There is a TSB that these motors will use a good amount of oil the first 50k. Not sure why that is but the service tech was even shock to see it when we were looking at the ANC stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread