5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 yo Rebel with Deteriorating Steering Wheel

mikeymike365

Reaction score
Hello..
Just curious if anyone else has experienced deterioration of the steering wheel within the first couple of years.. My truck is 1yr 3mos old and as you can see from the pix its already started wear-n-tear with only 14K miles on it.. And...I haven't gone off-road with it.. Currently the sales person is telling me its not covered because its deemed normal wear-n-tear.. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance

steering wheel.jpg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah, I would talk with someone else or another dealership, because that's not normal for wear and tear.

I've mentioned the steering wheel leather does seem thin and lower quality before, but mine still looks good after 2 years. That shouldn't be happening unless they can prove it was caused by negligence on your part, like you accidentally cutting it with an object or something similar.

Luckily a good auto upholstery shop can easily repair or upgrade that, but you shouldn't have to deal out of pocket for this. But in case they decide to screw you over on this, you have alternatives.

Powerbandjohnny

Reaction score
70de0a377740de4553cd496b77046c5d.jpg

Just noticed the same thing on mine today. Less than a year old and little over 13,000 miles. Looks like I’m making a trip to dealership in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm with SD above that it's not normal but I'd admit on a previous vehicle the pocket clip of my knife in my jeans caught the wheel when hopping in or out and took a slice out of a wheel once, bummer.

As for upholstery I'd consider a leather wrap or even a wheel rim change if it really matters to you - many FCA vehicles use the same wheel so that shouldnt be tough

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is a thread on here about the same thing and people getting the steering wheel replaced under warranty . That's not normal wear and tear .

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
I just took my 20 Bighorn in for the steering wheel leather coming unglued from the wheel. They ordered another but who knows when it'll come in.

JbVt

Reaction score
Mines doing it also. Right at the 12 o’clock position. Barely 1 year old truck with 14k.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a thread on here about the same thing and people getting the steering wheel replaced under warranty . That's not normal wear and tear .
I'm one of those people.

Mine was peeling like that too but at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions.

Took it in to the dealership and they replaced the wheel under warranty.

No issues with my new steering wheel so far.

Users who are viewing this thread